Calories for breastfeeding

Options
Chelle7198
Chelle7198 Posts: 4 Member
I'm always starving at the end of the day. I fell off my diet this afternoon. I gave in to the Easter candy. I'm so close to my goal. I'm so hungry though. My little one didn't nurse as much today. But she still night nurses a lot. Diet and breastfeeding is really hard.

Replies

• karen_thinmint
    karen_thinmint Posts: 498 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    Im breastfeeding and just started logging food again and found out I eat between 2500-3000 a day. But I am at my pre pregnancy weight (although still swishy) but Id like to keep losing. I eat like a teenage boy because I'm so so hungry. Id also like to know what everyone sets their calories at to keep supply but lose weight.
  • Chelle7198
    Chelle7198 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well the only way I've ever lost weight was to do 1200. I used to do 1500. And lose weight with that also. I'm not a bad weight. I'm not pre pregnancy. But I was super thin then. I love food though. If I would work out more then I could up my calories. But I'm having a hard time making time to workout. I have a wedding to go to in May and I really want to be at my goal by then. That leaves me 3 weeks. I understand squishy I've had 4 kids.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I was losing about 1lb a week on 2000 + exercise calories (tracked by garmin). I am 215lbs right now, 210 is "pre-pregnancy" weight for me. Obviously, still over weight even when I get to my pre-pregnancy weight, so the goal is to keep going from there. I went down to 1650 for a while and was losing 2 lbs/ week. My supply dropped a little bit, but not horribly. I have been exclusively pumping from the get go so its pretty easy to measure output.

I stopped counting for almost a month, I got sick when we started going to daycare with a long, lingering cold/flu things and just said F it for a few weeks. I also started slowly weaning and am down to about 15oz/day vs 26 a month ago. I just started tracking again, so not sure exactly what my progress will be yet.

I have been calorie counting off and on for a while though (lost 40 lbs in the past doing it) so I went into this having a pretty good idea of my baseline numbers.

I anyone needs help setting goals I found this post super helpful, you can skip the first half since you already got through the pregnancy part ;)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176233/gaining-weight-during-pregnancy-and-losing-it-post-partum
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I found that I did not lose weight if I went by MFP's calorie recommendations (and then using 500 calorie to create deficit). It didn't work with either of my pregnancies. I really struggled to lose the weight with my first baby (11 years old). I had gained too much weight (60 lb.) and it took me 15 months to take it off.

It was recommended that I eat about 2200-2400, depending on my activity for the day. I did this for a few months and dropped very very little weight despite the fact that I was exercising daily. I found that by eating between 1700-1900 with my regular exercise did the trick--I really don't weigh my food because I am not looking to lose anymore. I managed to start losing anywhere from 0.5-1 lb. per week which is the recommended rate. I am still breastfeeding at almost nine months postpartum so it did not affect my supply.

I am now 140 lb. at 5'9", so 10 lb. below my pre-pregnancy weight. I feel like I've lost some muscle but will look to rebuild that over the next few months once I have more time to begin a program.
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    None of the calculators have been right for me but I have the opposite problem than most. If I went by the calculators or methods for determining breastfeeding calories, I can easily lose 3.5+ pounds per week which obviously wouldn't be good. I've had to do some manual adjusting to figure out what I need to eat and right now that's 2070 on average to lose one pound a week while nursing an 11 month old. I'm 5'1" and 140lbs. The only exercise I do is a progressive lifting program 3-4 days a week. I'm down almost 55 pounds. I do weigh and measure everything so that helps, and I focus on volumetric meals to feel full, especially for dinner. Historically, I've never lost weight while breastfeeding (and even gained) but that changed once I started using a scale and knew how many calories I should be eating.
  • ketchup38
    ketchup38 Posts: 112 Member
    edited April 2018
    Options
    I'm back after six months to try this again. Tried six months ago but failed miserably. Was just too hungry. Now to my horror I have put on 4kg since then and really need to get my act together. Still breastfeeding my 12 month old about 3-4 times a day. Tried 2000 cal\day with 500 deficit last time but it didn't work. Have gone down to 1700 based on my target weight. Then found myself up in the early hours ravenous. Hoping that upping the number a little takes me to my sweet spot.
  • Fitforevermore
    Fitforevermore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I M breastfeeding, and I've started on 1800 cals today. Good luck!
  • LizaDK914
    LizaDK914 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Does mfp have a breastfeeding option for the calculation? I've been unable to find it.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I believe it is searchable in the food diary. It basically subtracts 500 calories from your daily intake.
    I didn't find this to be accurate for me, as I needed to cut more in order to see loss.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited April 2018
    Options
    LizaDK914 wrote: »
    Does mfp have a breastfeeding option for the calculation? I've been unable to find it.
    It isn't in the calculation because it is considered a "medical condition" which they can't legally advise you on.

But there are "food" entries that will add the calories instead of subtracting them for you. You can do the general 500 calories for breastfeeding entry, or there should be a 20 calories/oz entry to input the ounces if you know how much you produce. Or, you could log it as exercise as well.