Let's talk sports bras

sarahthes
sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
Okay ladies, I'm in need of advice. While out running yesterday I realized that I need at least one new sports bra. I'm pretty sure that compression gear and layering over the winter was doing some heavy lifting, if you'll pardon the pun, and my current gear just ain't cutting it now that I'm in fewer layers and lighter clothes.

So... favourite brands? Styles?

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Yes, let's talk!

I'm pretty small in that department, but have found that the more seams a bra has or the tighter it is, the less likely I'll be able to do long runs in it. I actually picked up some very inexpensive seamless bras with (annoying) inserts that I wear when I'm in a light/tight shirt and need coverage, if you know what I mean. But they come apart in the wash and those inserts are a pain to put back in, so I handwash them in the shower. They really are comfortable for me, but I imagine they will not be supportive for someone with greater assets ;).

Then I have some more supportive sporty-looking bras that start to hurt if I go too long in them, but I'd still wear them up to at least 10k, probably also for a half, but definitely not for a marathon. Some have the removable inserts, one has them sewn in place (yes!) and I got them at Lidl (similar to Aldi's) or Walmart, so nothing expensive or big-name-brand.

A friend of mine has a lot more out front than I do, and she swears by finding a bra that will hold things in place and reduce the bouncing. So skip the skimpy bras, and go for something that's going to fit snugly enough to offer the support you need. For a longer run you'd want to consider how many seams there are (or wide bands of elastic along the bottom-very cute but ouch), or get some Body Glide or other anti-chafing product.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Brooks (aka moving comfort) jubralee.... best $50 I have ever spent in my running career was when the gal at the running store I went to, the first time I got officially fitted for shoes... made a convincing argument for said, very expensive, very awesome sports bra.... it is high impact, and good for the well endowed... and I had no idea how much of my energy while running was spent trying to tame the Tara’s- they also make a Juno, if you prefer high impact and racer back (apparently I dont).
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    I have had this one: https://www.wacoal-america.com/sport-underwire-bra-wacoal-855170-p.html. I had it in a 38DDD when i was that big. Nothing bounced. Kind of an odd exoskeleton type, but super solid bra.

Now I have this one https://www.wacoal-america.com/sport-underwire-bra-wacoal-855229-p.html in a 34DDD. It's not as comfortable as the first one and I prefer the strap configuration of the first bra. This is supposed to be the "new and improved" version, but I like the other one better.

I'm going to give the Brooks a try soon. I've heard a few sources post about it being good.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited May 2018
    I have Oiselle that I like. They are all soft and have removable pads. I think they are a little snug currently. But they have all held up. I wash and just hang them to dry.

I also have a few traditional Nike bras. They are fine too. (Well once I lose the 6 pounds I gained, they all will fit better :blush: ).

ETA Currently in a 36B
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Daily wear a 38DDD, & I have to do the "batten down the hatches!" when I run, or, the commonly called "layer up" with 2-3 bras, even then still had a bit of bounce factor. Hated it. When I ran Gasparilla in February, there was a running expo, and 1 of the booths was with SheFit. I walked by, and 1 of the ladies asked if I was interested, to which I said I was, however, sure won't have anything MY size! She smiled, said "Come on in!" Took a little while, a few different sizes, tweaking the straps, but, let me tell you....feels so good to be able to run in 1 - ONE! - bra! Girls are strapped in, secure, and I'm ready to go - best $65 I have spent for sure!

https://shefit.com/

I've even been tempted to get one for everyday wear...
  • MissMaggieMuffin
    MissMaggieMuffin Posts: 444 Member
    For many years I was a 38DD and wore the Enell running armor ( :o ) as it was just too painful to not have the girls held firmly in place. The Enell, while not pretty, did the job with a vengeance. Now, having lost 50ish lbs and post-menopausal, not nearly so painful and with a 34D, have a lot more choices but my favourite is Shock Absorber.
  • fitoverfortymom
    @dreamer12151 I'm a little late to the party, but I appreciate your SheFit review! They are expensive (my Wacoal was close to $75 I think). It's SO worth it, but I hate when something is a dud and I've spent a lot of money on it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I have two of these Marika sports bras that I picked up for around $20 at the Off Fifth Avenue outlet and I love them. They do have the annoying inserts that @polskagirl01 was talking about, but I like them because they do not have large seams and don't chafe on long runs. I am not that well endowed though, so I can't really speak about support for those who are. I also wear the basic C9 ones from Target.

https://www.marika.com/collections/sports-bras/products/m240501?lshst=collection&variant=29775993673
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Panache. I've worn their bras from a 40DDD to a 32D. Nothing moves that isn't supposed to move.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    I'm a bit late here, but I'm a 34F and only wear Berli or Triumph, and they work great. No need for extra layers, they keep the girls compltetly in place, and look mostly like a regular bra - except the cross over. Sports Bras are incredibly expensive in NZ but those I have no issues with.

That said, I've lost a little more weight, dropped to a 32F and am STRUGGLING to find a bra. Apparently you arent supposed to have breasts larger than a C cup if you have that small a frame. sigh.
  • monkeygirl08
    monkeygirl08 Posts: 2,109 Member
    Daily wear a 38DDD, & I have to do the "batten down the hatches!" when I run, or, the commonly called "layer up" with 2-3 bras, even then still had a bit of bounce factor. Hated it. When I ran Gasparilla in February, there was a running expo, and 1 of the booths was with SheFit. I walked by, and 1 of the ladies asked if I was interested, to which I said I was, however, sure won't have anything MY size! She smiled, said "Come on in!" Took a little while, a few different sizes, tweaking the straps, but, let me tell you....feels so good to be able to run in 1 - ONE! - bra! Girls are strapped in, secure, and I'm ready to go - best $65 I have spent for sure!

https://shefit.com/

I've even been tempted to get one for everyday wear...

I'm with @dreamer12151. I was a little skeptic about all the SheFit buzz that I was hearing and after doing a lot of my own research, I finally bought 2. Let me tell you, it was LIFE CHANGING! I'm between 38DDD & 38F. I avoided anything like jumping jacks or movements that made me hurt even while wearing 2-3 bras. I'm now only wearing my SheFit Bra, ONE bra while I work out. I'm actually starting to enjoy running, and doing jumping jacks and just about anything else. I even want to buy a few more.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,376 Member
    I'm not sure if my opinion is relevant for anyone (from reading your numbers, most of you girls are much better endowed than me! if I did the conversion to US sizes right, I'm a 34A...), but I really like the "adidas techfit" bra ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01071J4C6/ ).
    Snug fit, no inserts that get lost in the washing machine, and no seams in the wrong places. I like them so much that in addition to the three or four currently in use, I have two more (still sealed in plastic) as spares in case they stop making them.
  • fitoverfortymom
    apullum wrote: »
    Panache. I've worn their bras from a 40DDD to a 32D. Nothing moves that isn't supposed to move.

I just bought my first Panache. It's a little "sexier" than my Wacoal, but I haven't worn it enough to see if I like it more.

I tried the Brooks Juno and wasn't a fan. They didn't have my size in store 34DDD/E, but I tried on a 34DD and a 36DD.
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Yeah... I really want to like the Juno-because racer back... but I just don’t. So, I just look like a dork in my jubralee with the straps sticking out.
  • fitoverfortymom
    @hanlonsk SAME! I had heard so much about it and wanted to love it so much. I just didn't! Both my Wacoal and Panache can be adjusted for a racer back or I run with straps out because who cares?
  • fitoverfortymom
    I'm not sure if my opinion is relevant for anyone (from reading your numbers, most of you girls are much better endowed than me! if I did the conversion to US sizes right, I'm a 34A...), but I really like the "adidas techfit" bra ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01071J4C6/ ).
    Snug fit, no inserts that get lost in the washing machine, and no seams in the wrong places. I like them so much that in addition to the three or four currently in use, I have two more (still sealed in plastic) as spares in case they stop making them.

All boobs matter. :)
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,376 Member

All boobs matter. :)
    Lol, thanks :mrgreen:
  • pattyhouse1970
    pattyhouse1970 Posts: 51 Member
    I have 2 reebok and 1 under armor. I'm a 32D. All 3 are smalls.
    The Reebok are V-Neck Seamless. Reebok Sports Bra
    The other is Under Armor. I think it's this one This is the one I wear when I run. The Reebok I take to the fitness center when I'm doing lifting. They also are fine when I jog.

I had 2 from Victoria's Secret, but they were rubbing my skin raw. Wound up giving them to a friend.
  • blackrosedalice
    blackrosedalice Posts: 4 Member
    Bit late to the conversation.
    But for anyone living in australia, Bras N Things have an excellent sports bra - Berlei Electrifying Underwire Sports bra.
    I'm a 38D I've pretty much been living in this bra since I found it 4 years ago. Its about 50AUD, and lasts for about 2 years with heavy usage.
    Really gives good support!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I'm currently wearing the Brooks Juno and mostly like it. That is, I like the fit, I like the function, I like that it doesn't pinch my loose skin around my back and armpits, but I don't like the price and I think it's not well made and won't last. The slot for tightening the straps is wearing and the two layers pull apart, they needed another row of stitching.