Growing up, what did you do?

Options
2»

Replies

• mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Dance and cheer until I tore the meniscus in my knee jumping off a high bridge into the water. After that, I didn't so much, to avoid surgery, they told me to stop. I went to work full time as a high school sophomore to help pay bills when my dad was out of work. I worked 3 jobs at a time through college. I mountain biked when I first met my husband, but then we moved to an area of not much area to ride int. Fast forward - 2 kids later - I started running at 39.

I'm vey happy my kids are involved in sports. My youngest plays basketball and baseball. My oldest is a runner and it's looking like he will be quite competitive and be able to successful. He prefers cross country and distance running over track. He has won local 5K's and placed in 10K's without much training. I still wonder had I started younger if I could have ever ran the 4:45 and 5:00 MPM he runs.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I played soccer until jr high, but that was it. I had (still do) terrible allergies during my childhood and teen years so I was sick all the time. I was finally diagnosed with asthma at 15, but instead of working with me and showing me how to build up my endurance so I could partcipate in sports and gym class, my parents/teachers/drs had me sit out at gym class. I had to write papers about sports.

I've spent my adult life trying different sports and activities (boxing, hiking, yoga, kick boxing, dance, kayaking) in some sort of effort to prove that even if it isn't my nature, I can be athletic. Running is my latest effort. Now that I built up a decent running base, my asthma is only an issue during allergy season. So far I'm only up to half marathon distance but that's just because I don't want to push a jogging stroller for a 20 mile training run. I'll get there when my daughter gets older.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Well, the first thing growing up I did was to hate running!!! I mean, with a passion. I couldn't stand it. I played ice hockey from when I was six years old through high school and also played soccer in high school. I did some field events on the track team, as well. I was a mediocre varsity player at best, for any sport. After that it was off to the infantry and still more running, which I continued to hate.

But, things change and I can't tell you how much I love to see the road unfold out in front of me and to feel the exhilaration of completing a run! :happy:

Good luck and have fun!
  • cococa
    cococa Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was a dancer and a gymnast. I was a solid C runner up until high school. Turns out I was just running with the wrong friends. I did track and field in high school, but I was a jumper and a sprinter. Distances were always daunting to me. Even through college, I'd run a mile tops. One day after work in my late 20s, I had a really bad day with a client and decided to go for a run. I made it 3 without even being phased. The next day I signed up for a half marathon, and the rest is history.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Before high school I was on a swim team. In high school I played football (linebacker and offensive guard), wrestled, and was on the track team (long jump and discus). In college I played various intramural sports including football and swimming. Up to that point I avoided running whenever possible.