London Marathon

Options
TavistockToad
TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
Anyone watching? Or running it?

It's around this time of year that I think I might want to do a marathon!!! (I don't, a half is far enough!)

Replies

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Ach, I forgot it was today. Mo Farrah can run a marathon faster than I can run a half marathon. I also have the occasional idle musing about running a full marathon, but so far I've managed to talk myself out of it.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    It was such an exiting event to watch on TV. I wish I was there. I was getting ready for my own run during the coverage and was dashing around the house to grab my stuff so I could change in front of the TV and keep watching. I thought Mo Farrah was melting down over the water bottle fiasco, but he did superb.

46 minutes after the 10am gun, the coverage cut to the start line where people were STILL waiting to begin. Blimey.

I've never been interesting in running this, figuring it was too busy, but I've changed my mind - I really want to do it next year!
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @BruinsGal_91 The winners are always about twice as fast as me, so I am right there with you. Good thing I'm only racing myself. But it would be fun to do one of the majors someday. I want to get a little faster though so a marathon (and the training) won't be as much time on my feet.

I ended up forgetting about London too until the elites had finished, so "watched" it by reading a LetsRun thread and finding highlights on youtube. Kipchoge is amazing though, especially while running that fast with someone on his heels.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ach, I forgot it was today. Mo Farrah can run a marathon faster than I can run a half marathon. I also have the occasional idle musing about running a full marathon, but so far I've managed to talk myself out of it.

Ridiculously I was impressed that my half marathon time was better than the elite women's time... ignoring the fact that they did twice the distance of course!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I was up there, as my brother and a lot of friends were running it.

Not my scene at all, give me a trail marathon any day of the week.

I was at the 11mi point, then moved on to the 23mi point. Very hot, and I think I probably walked about 15 miles myself.

Lots of people struggling at the 11mi point, and as you'd expect at 23 mi lots of people on fumes at that stage.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Dealing with that kind of heat when you aren't acclimated is hard. In Boston there were a lot of runners who struggled with the cold, but heat is much harder when you are going that distance.
  • marikaCL
    marikaCL Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I ran this. Was a great day but tough in the heat. My first