Eating Maintenance Calories

Options
Hi All! I am so glad I found this group! I am just starting my pregnancy journey and just seriously started my weight loss journey about a month before I found out I was expecting. I am considered over weight 5'7 185lbs. Before I found out I was prego MFP set my calorie goal at 1300. I know that is unrealistic now, and I definitely eat when I am hungry (trying to stick with healthy snacks). But what is your opinion on just eating maintenance calories during the first trimester at least? I guess as long as I am eating healthy foods and feeling full I should be ok? I know weight gain is inevitable these next 9 months, but I really want to try and have a healthy pregnancy.

Replies

• sunnyhike58
    sunnyhike58 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You don't need any extra calories in the first trimester. Then for second and third you need an increase. there seems to be some disparity in how many are needed in those trimesters. I guess in the UK they only say increase by 300 in the third trimester. In the US, I've seen add 200 in the second and 300 in the third.

1300 definitely seems super low for maintenance.
  • Parthus02
    Parthus02 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    @brittanymgilley, Welcome! I set mine to maintenance for first trimester, which for my build (5'7", 158 lbs, relatively muscular) is approximately 1800 cal. 1300 is definitely too low for pregnancy maintenance. Per my doc, no pregnant woman should be eating less than 1500. I plan on upping the ante in 2nd trimester to gain .5 lbs/week. Hope that helps!
  • mohantyipsita8
    mohantyipsita8 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi All. Glad to find this group. I am 22 wks overweight first time mum and today my doc said to limit sugar and carbs. All I can think of now is to eat white rice or muffins/cinamon rolls. Thanks to this app, it keeps a track of my calories and carb contents.
  • brittanymgilley
    brittanymgilley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I went back and set MFP to maintenance for now. It's about 1700 calories a day. So far it has been fine. I really am trying to be a smart eater and eat nutrient dense foods, so I think that is helping me stay full longer.
  • Parthus02
    Parthus02 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    How's everyone doing? I'm entering week 11 and still pretty exhausted (although that's probably due to my job) and I still have a permanent undercurrent of constant nausea. For the most part, I've been eating complex carbs, beans and red meat. I can only keep chicken or fish down if it's breaded, so can't wait for that to return to normal. I do eat a lot of fruit as that helps my nausea and it's the easiest thing to consume every 2-3 hours. I fluctuate back and forth between 2-3 lbs weight gain, so I'm on track for nearing the end of first trimester, so excited about that! Plus, all scans show a healthy, hilariously active baby! I'm still relegated to just walking for a workout since my last scare, until I reach 14 weeks. Can't wait for that too. Walking is fine, but I've always been more active. Send in your updates!!
  • sunnyhike58
    sunnyhike58 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm in week 18 and struggling with exhaustion. I haven't been running in two months. My main exercise activities have been playing in the water with my toddler, gardening, and occasionally walking. I haven't been counting calories but need to get back to doing that. When the exhaustion comes around 6pm, the sugar cravings start yelling at me. I've only gained 5 lbs so far which is good since I am overweight already. Feeling a bit down about the exhaustion and trying to get back into a regular movement routine.