5/1 Tuesday Day 1 SLBC: Why Sitting Is Harmful

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited May 2018 in Social Groups
7zqxn7rshh1n.jpg

Welcome to Sit Less Boot Camp!

Over the next 3 weeks we'll give you lots of ideas and resources for sitting less and moving more. Some of the daily challenges will be more appropriate for some folks than others, but we think there will be something for everyone. If you've participated in Sit Less Boot Camp before, welcome back!

We won't generally have a formal challenge on Sundays, but we’ll still be up and moving and we will have some supplemental readings for those who want to “dive deeper” in their understanding of how excessive sitting impacts their health.

I’m Denise (themedalist; a long-time MFP member) and I’ll be your guide over the next three weeks. A freak accident in 2012 cost me the ability to walk which was thankfully later restored, but the experience of losing my mobility made me realize what a gift it is to walk and move easily and now I want to nudge everyone to sit less and move towards a happier, healthier life. I am so excited that you are joining us for Sit Less Boot Camp!

What to Expect Over the Next Three Weeks

The first few daily challenges are intended to lay a good foundation for the rest of Boot Camp. They are reading and web-based exercises --- and can be done while standing up! Today we will be exploring why sitting is so bad for us. Since sitting is a habit we want to change, tomorrow we'll examine how habits work. There's been a revolution in the last 20 years in the scientific understanding about habits and I'll be sharing some of the key insights with you tomorrow. On Day 3, we'll be applying this habits knowledge to selecting our individual sit-less actions, something we'll prioritize over the next 3 weeks. We call this your “One Thing” and you'll use it to create your own customized sit less plan on Day 4.

Selecting and practicing your “One Thing” is really the heart of Sit Less Boot Camp. Our chief goal is to help you find one way to sit less -- something you will want to keep doing long after the Boot Camp is over. Something that's easy for you to do and something that you enjoy, or at least find acceptable doing.

To make it more interesting and give you as many ideas and resources for sitting less as I can over the next 3 weeks, we will be supplementing our One Things with two daily challenges: a main challenge and an alternative challenge. Each of these two daily challenges is a specific way to sit-less, something you may not have considered before. Select whichever daily challenge will work best for you. Making these challenges our focus for the day gives you an opportunity to “test drive” them and see if they are a good fit for you. Sometimes people like a daily challenge so much that they decide to make it their new One Thing. If that happens to you, go for it!

And with that backdrop, let's begin!

Theme: What's the Problem with Sitting Too Much?

Today’s Challenge: What's the problem with sitting so much? Our first daily challenge explores this topic, so please spend a few minutes checking out some of the resources below. And why not stand up while you review them?

Is Your Chair Killing You Softly?
http://www.quittingthesitting.org/sitting-disease.html

Why Sitting Too Much Is Seriously Bad for Your Health
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/why-sitting-is-bad-for-you

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    As I mentioned, I'll be sharing some infographics and videos along the way:

nq4neemfnde9.jpg

8lkcffaqwfyx.jpg

ulnm4zo2f9z9.png

Why Sitting is Bad For You (TED Ed video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-HUAAc9X8
  • themedalist
    Options
    LogR4Life wrote: »
    I'm starting my sit less challenge with a 30 hour car ride! Thanks to recent bilateral knee surgeries I will need to stop more often and move a bit more so that will be a huge challenge for me in the first couple days of the sit-less challenge but I'm up for it. Let the fun begin!!

Wow, @LogR4Life, a 30 hour car ride is a lot! But it is great that you’ll be switching positions and stretching/walking often...that’s so important. Bet you’ll be glad when you get to your destination.
  • themedalist
    Options
    mhdashler wrote: »
    Denise, I am really looking forward to this. I am an accountant, so I spend most of my day sitting in front of a PC slumped over spreadsheets. I had already made some significant changes in my daily routing in this regard over the last couple months such as parking farther away from work, using the stairs instead of the elevator, and walking to lunch (1.5 mile round trip) as opposed to driving. These first few videos have me brainstorming for different ways that I can get up and move around more during the workday. I exchange e-mails and IMs with coworkers often. I am going to try and start getting up and actually talking to them as much as possible. Can't wait to see what other ideas the challenges generate! Thanks, Mike

@mhdashler, you are well on your way! We start where we are with what we have. Even desk jockeys can do things to reduce their sitting. Getting up and walking over to talk with colleagues has a big impact and is a great strategy. Another favorite strategy of mine is standing up to proofread an email before hitting the ‘Send’ button. Yes, we will be sharing lots of ideas in the next 3 weeks. Stay tuned!
  • sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to the challenge and I enjoyed the little video you included short, simple and yet informative so that anyone can understand it.
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Great information here. Thank you Denise.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Great information! Thank you Denise for taking the time to research and share this with us. Looking forward to this.
  • themedalist
    Options
    sandra8841 wrote: »
    Looking forward to the challenge and I enjoyed the little video you included short, simple and yet informative so that anyone can understand it.

Glad you've joined us, @sandra8841, and that you found the video helpful!
  • themedalist
    Options
    AnnofB wrote: »
    Great information here. Thank you Denise.

Thanks, @AnnofB! I'm happy you've joined us for Sit Less Boot Camp!
  • TKlepac
    TKlepac Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    As you are standing, be sure to put a little groove in your move. Do some walking in place or dance about a bit.
  • themedalist
    Options
    TKlepac wrote: »
    As you are standing, be sure to put a little groove in your move. Do some walking in place or dance about a bit.

Two great ideas, @TKlepac. Moving around while standing and fidgeting either while seated or standing are two good strategies for quitting the sitting! Thanks for the suggestions.
  • infinitynevermore
    infinitynevermore Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Our office is talking about sit/stand desks. I'm eagerly awaiting any information on that front. Until then, I'm walking to co-workers' desks to talk (which is hard in a call center) and I try to get to the gym and use the treadmill 5-6 days a week.