5/5 Saturday Day 5 SLBC: Spring Project 1

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member

y9j7wdy4j1l4.jpg

Theme: Spring Cleaning Project 1!

Today's Challenge: We've all got small projects around the house that we've been meaning to get to. It might be reorganizing a closet, sweeping the garage, washing the car, preparing the garden, or something else. It's spring cleaning season so let's take a few times this month to finish that project and check it off the to-do list. You'll feel great once it's done!

Today it's our first spring cleaning project. Take 15 to 20 minutes today and get that project you've been meaning to do checked off your list. Any project that will have you up and moving around is perfect for today's challenge.

Alternative Challenge: Swap out some TV time today and put on some music instead. When the TV's on we tend to sit, but when there's music playing we are more likely to be up and moving around. Spontaneous dance party...oh yeah!

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    It is a beautiful, sunshine filled day and in the mid 70s here. After several long walks in the woods, I will be working in my garden and doing some yard work. What do you have planned?
  • pizzafruit
    pizzafruit Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm going to walk and then rake the leaves from around the flowers.
  • themedalist
    Options
    pizzafruit wrote: »
    I'm going to walk and then rake the leaves from around the flowers.

Sounds like a good plan, @pizzafruit. I hope you have a great Saturday!
  • lwintx
    lwintx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I need to rearrange the last bits and pieces in the garage so that we can use the weight bench again. Today seems like the perfect day to do that. :)
  • themedalist
    Options
    lwintx wrote: »
    I need to rearrange the last bits and pieces in the garage so that we can use the weight bench again. Today seems like the perfect day to do that. :)

Great idea!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    Your garden looks terrific @themedalist! I love your story about Mia!

I'm planning to reorganize a small portion of my book cache!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I got up early and went for a walk with my morning coffee. As for today's challenge I cleaned out the pantry. I am really glad I did it looks so much better and organized.
  • talers
    talers Posts: 12 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    After our coffee this morning, dear hubby and I went for a 30 minute walk (and talk), holding hands. Then I spent 30 minutes removing old caulking in our shower, cleaned and prepped for new caulk.

I just joined this group yesterday and spent most of today standing at my kitchen counter catching up on these Sit Less Boot Camp challenges and entering recipes for my food diary :smile:

Thank you @themedalist for your tireless effort inspiring and guiding this group. I'm glad I found you.
  • themedalist
    Options
    talers wrote: »
    After our coffee this morning, dear hubby and I went for a 30 minute walk (and talk), holding hands. Then I spent 30 minutes removing old caulking in our shower, cleaned and prepped for new caulk.

I just joined this group yesterday and spent most of today standing at my kitchen counter catching up on these Sit Less Boot Camp challenges and entering recipes for my food diary :smile:

Thank you @themedalist for your tireless effort inspiring and guiding this group. I'm glad I found you.

Welcome to our group, @talers! I appreciate your post a lot. When people post, it let’s me know that they’re “out there” and it gives me feedback on that day’s challenge. Was it useful to them? Or not helpful? When people chime in and post, it makes my day.

A walk and talk with your DH and a shower decaulking sounds like a productive day!
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    It was 80 degrees today, so we finished installing a garden fence, planted a few flowers & planted some hostas. Then went for a walk around the neighborhood tonight. Just moved here last July & didn't walk much then, so this spring people in our loop are probably wondering who is this couple that keeps walking past, lol. Hopefully we will get to know some of them. Got 3000 steps in on my treadmill this morning while I was catching up on the Quitting the Sitting modules that I was behind on.
  • themedalist
    edited May 2018
    Options
    It was 80 degrees today, so we finished installing a garden fence, planted a few flowers & planted some hostas. Then went for a walk around the neighborhood tonight. Just moved here last July & didn't walk much then, so this spring people in our loop are probably wondering who is this couple that keeps walking past, lol. Hopefully we will get to know some of them. Got 3000 steps in on my treadmill this morning while I was catching up on the Quitting the Sitting modules that I was behind on.

Sounds like a terrific day, @RetiredAndLovingIt

I use my treadmill a lot too. When I first got my treadmill in 2003, I only used it for exercising. But over the last few years as I’ve moved away from the chair, now I do all kinds of things on my treadmill. Read books on my iPad while walking slowly, scan social media, watch videos, even respond to emails using the talk to text microphone feature on my iPad. And sometimes I even exercise on my treadmill.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I try to walk on it if there is a tv show I want to watch. And now that I have made my speed more heart friendly it is easier to read while walking, lol.
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I would have loved to do the spring cleaning one but I didn't have time. I did swap out having the TV on and listened to music instead.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I’m only 1000 steps over my norm today but that’s still progress! My granddaughter’s 10th birthday party was today so that involved lots of sitting and a little cake and ice cream. When I got home I went outside and walked up and down the lane reading my book instead of walking in my house like I do in the mornings and I continued until sprinkles started landing on my iPad. I like it when I start the day out ahead on my steps than if I try to make up for lost time late in the day.
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    I’m only 1000 steps over my norm today but that’s still progress! My granddaughter’s 10th birthday party was today so that involved lots of sitting and a little cake and ice cream. When I got home I went outside and walked up and down the lane reading my book instead of walking in my house like I do in the mornings and I continued until sprinkles started landing on my iPad. I like it when I start the day out ahead on my steps than if I try to make up for lost time late in the day.

Getting 1000 more steps than usual is progress, @nebslp. Sounds like you had a fun time at the party. I feel the same way about getting steps in early rather than later in the day.
  • shanreta
    shanreta Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Doing spring cleaning this weekend, plus a little gardening with the lovely weather! I have doubled my step count for the last two days and i want to keep this up for the week!
  • themedalist
    Options
    shanreta wrote: »
    Doing spring cleaning this weekend, plus a little gardening with the lovely weather! I have doubled my step count for the last two days and i want to keep this up for the week!

Congrats, @shanreta! Keeping your steps up is a great goal for this week!
  • talers
    talers Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    @themedalist thank you. I joined this community group because my family are not always as supportive as I might wish. They don't carry excess weight and yet they apparently feel sometimes that MY enthusiasm and efforts are either pushing them to join me, or somehow represent a criticism of their own food choices and exercise habits--especially if I prepare a super-healthy family-sized meal for us. My husband has always been the main cook in our home, and he is a great cook, but some of his very yummy meals are not the best for keeping me moving toward my weight-loss goal.

Of course I'd love my family to want to join me in pursuit of their own optimum health, but I'm not pushing it. I actually feel selfish when I buy the healthy foods and prepare them only for myself--if that makes sense? I do recognize that everyone must make their own choices in life... still, how do I get them to at least support my pursuit? Perhaps I rely too much on external approval? I am trying to keep my "yay me!"s to myself and, instead, seek support in a like-minded community such as this one.

I'd love to hear how others have handled these unexpected reactions from their loved ones. (This was the subject or my "walk & talk" with DH yesterday, so, we are working through it at least!) :smile:

Standing again today as I type this. Yay, me! :smiley:
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    @talers , I had a similar problem with my family. My suggestion is to find a real life buddy (for me it is my sister), enjoy the great support here on MFP, establish some powerful healthy habits, keep eating good stuff, and your family might loosen up some after your impressive results. Whatever you do, don't let the lack of support become an excuse to give up! I did give up several times. Think "It's not a diet, it is the way I eat/exercise."

Got my books organized, hooray! :)