5/6 Sunday Day 6 SLBC Weekend

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
edited May 2018 in Social Groups
2tucsb8jf0sr.jpg

Theme: WEEKEND!

Today's Challenge: Enjoy your Sunday but make it an active one. There are lots of ways to keep moving today. Gardening and yard tending, walking with a friend, checking out a local farmer's market or going for a bike ride are a few of the many possibilities! How will you spend today?

Supplemental Weekend Reading

If Sundays include some leisurely reading, a couple of articles that may interest you:

A neuroscientist says there’s a powerful benefit to exercise that is rarely discussed:
http://qz.com/592569/a-neuroscientist-says-theres-a-powerful-benefit-to-exercise-that-is-rarely-discussed/

Those 2 minute walk breaks? They add up:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/28/well/move/walking-exercise-minutes-death-longevity.html

Replies

• themedalist
    Options

Walking is such a great activity. And just look what it does to the brain!

vw3j5mq74brx.jpg

7ashbvvf5a0v.jpg
  • themedalist
    Options
    Every year about this time I volunteer to be on the evaluation committee for senior portfolios at our local high school. Each senior must complete a senior project as well as many hours of community service, attend cultural activities, take measurable steps to planning what comes after high school etc. The scope of what they have to do in order to graduate is quite impressive. I always enjoy being on the committee.

So, today I’ll be reading their senior portfolio narratives. Fortunately, they are now in electronic .pdf format so I can read them on my iPad while walking slowly on my treadmill. I have 3 students who will present their projects to me and two other community members on May 8th.

Make it a great Sunday!
  • allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Short walking breaks it is - I am stiff and sore from packing many boxes of big heavy art books on Thursday. A long walk yesterday helped. My son and I love to do jigsaw puzzles on the weekend - so I am standing up to work on those. Tomorrow -it will be time to unpack those boxes!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Short walking breaks it is - I am stiff and sore from packing many boxes of big heavy art books on Thursday. A long walk yesterday helped. My son and I love to do jigsaw puzzles on the weekend - so I am standing up to work on those. Tomorrow -it will be time to unpack those boxes!

@allmannerofthings, I think it’s great that you’ve tweaked your jigsaw playing so that it involves less sitting. We shouldn’t give up the things that we enjoy. We should just see if we can do them in a less sedentary manner. I like @PinkyPan1 ‘s question: “ Do I really need to sit to do this?“.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    I think that article about neuroscience is fascinating! I'm a big fan of more activity for young children. As a principal, I saw the shift. Years ago yard duty was about restraining the wildness in the kids' activity; then somewhere in the 90s the kids were spending recess on the benches playing video games. I had to make a rule about no video games at recess. Unfortunately, as our uniform provider pointed out, we went from having mostly "slim" uniforms for our students to mostly "husky" sizes. :(

• PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I walked 8.56 miles this morning while golfing and pushing my cart. I agree 2 minute walks add up. I always have music playing in the house. When a favorite song comes on I walk in place to the beat. I figure most songs are approximately 2-3 minutes long. These quick walks get my heart rate going, lifts my mood and keeps the body in motion. I can't dance to save my life but I sure can step to a beat. LOL
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    I think that article about neuroscience is fascinating! I'm a big fan of more activity for young children. As a principal, I saw the shift. Years ago yard duty was about restraining the wildness in the kids' activity; then somewhere in the 90s the kids were spending recess on the benches playing video games. I had to make a rule about no video games at recess. Unfortunately, as our uniform provider pointed out, we went from having mostly "slim" uniforms for our students to mostly "husky" sizes. :(

Not a good shift, @77tes. And not surprising.
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I walked 8.56 miles this morning while golfing and pushing my cart. I agree 2 minute walks add up. I always have music playing in the house. When a favorite song comes on I walk in place to the beat. I figure most songs are approximately 2-3 minutes long. These quick walks get my heart rate going, lifts my mood and keeps the body in motion. I can't dance to save my life but I sure can step to a beat. LOL

Wow..you racked up the miles playing golf today, @PinkyPan1!
  • themedalist
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    Another good day for me as I am right now 4000 steps above my “old” norm. I walked while reading and was busy getting our bedroom and bathroom cleared out so the carpenters can start tearing out the walls tomorrow. They better show up!!!

@nebslp, this is superb! 4000 steps above your norm and still doing what you love to do! I’d call that a success!
  • ashleypietz
    ashleypietz Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Busy weekend of gardening and hiking for me. My daily step count is up and I'm focusing on breaking up my sitting at work.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Busy weekend of gardening and hiking for me. My daily step count is up and I'm focusing on breaking up my sitting at work.

Wonderful to hear, @ashleypietz! Thanks for posting and letting me know.