How are you making S Health and a Gear product work for you?

Options
ashliedelgado
ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
My very thoughtful husband upgraded my Fitbit Alta HR for a Samsung Gear Fit 2 Pro as an early Mother's day gift.

I'm trying really hard not to hate it and make it work for me. I'm not a fan of the S Health app, and I have used MFP for 5 years, I don't want to change. Everything I have read is telling me that 1) steps will be double dipped if I am carrying my phone because both S Health and the Pro will be counting, 2) there is very little functionality between Samsung products and MFP, I'm better off using Lifesum, 3) I should be using UA Record to track everything instead of S Health, and 4) I can have my steps sync or my exercise.

Help! How have you made this work for you? Fitbit was far from seamless, but they at least communicated.

Replies

• lamm84416
    lamm84416 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I was a Fitbit customer for a long time (at lease 8 or 9 years) and have had a Fitbit Surge, Alta, Charge 2 and Ionic. I switched to the Gear S3 to get the phone and messaging capability for when I don't want to carry my phone on walks/runs.

So, here are my responses to your points above:

1. I carry my phone at times and wear my watch all the time and the steps aren't "double dipped" within S Health as far as I can tell. I have S Health set to use steps recorded from both sources so that steps are recorded from my phone when my watch is charging - it appears that S Health knows from which one to get the steps count at any particular point in time.
    2. I have MFP and S Health "linked" together so they get information from each other.
    3. Not sure about Lifesum, but, S Health has everything you need to record your meals, your exercise, your steps, your water, your blood sugar (if you're concerned about that), your stress levels, your weight, your caffeine, your sleep, your heart rate. Fitbit only has a few of these things.
    4. I record my exercise so I can see my routes and effort through heart rate, etc. and my steps are also counted when I walk or run with no issue.

I use S Health exclusively now that I've gotten used to it. I only use MFP for the community groups and I only use Fitbit for the Aria scale (which also syncs via a link to the Fitbit app to S Health.)

I have to tell you that I love the S Health app more than the Fitbit app. You get so much more information out of the S Health app than you do Fitbit's.
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I hated the S health app at first. But It does have some very useful information and more detailed that fitbit, its just not as intuitive. However I use MFP as my central hub, I follow the MFP calorie plan. The thing about the Gear S3 and Shealth I like is that it separate my step calories from my workouts within MFP. The Numbers I get from the workouts are all over the map and usually really high, so I like that they are separated so I can take that into account when deciding how many of my make up calories I want to eat back.

Now the area I have of concern is the negative calorie adjustment. It just doesn't seem to do anything. The only way I get a negative adjustment is in the event the Shealth loses sync. I'm set to lightly active and I can take 50steps and get a positive adjustment, which shouldn't be.