Does intestinal flu cause malabsorption?

Options
PaulaKro
PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
A friend just had a bad flu and couldn't keep anything in her system. Since we went out to lunch last week, she was afraid it might affect me.

If we do get an intestinal flu and can't keep food down or in, does it impact us more than normal? Should we be concerned about not being able to get enough nutrients?

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I would think it would cause you not to get enough protein in for the day due to the upset stomach. If you do get sick, call your WLS program and ask them about it. I would think if you just made sure you got 80 oz of liquids you would be ok since you would still be hydrated. How far out are you? I was sleeved 6/11/12 and haven't had any flu since then so I can give you an experience I have had. I have had other health issues that made it hard to eat sometimes but I just focused on getting those 80 oz of liquids or more in a day to not get dehydrated.
    I hope you don't get the flu!
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    Options
    I was sleeved on your 1yr anniversary (6/10/13) and have been fighting a bad summer cold for a couple weeks. But it doesn't seem to affect nutrition.
    A friend with the flu was afraid she exposed me and suggested asking around ahead of time (just in case). Made me wonder if things like that make a difference to us.
    Thanks!