On My Way down to One-der-land!

Options
1182sheep
1182sheep Posts: 22 Member
I'm 60 years old. My highest weight was 335.5. I have worked on and off since I was 12 years old to keep that nightmare from becoming a reality. My dad needed help in 2014. None of His neighboring cjildren and grandchildren were committed to the time sacrifices involved. I determined to make the 500 mile round trip as often as necessary to make sure he was taken care of. The problem was that I was so weak myself. I'd been the victim of a serious rear end crash by a big truck. I was so heavy that my spine and damaged limbs wouldn't heal, due to the load. My heart would have scary spells. U couldn't walk to the back of Wal-Mart to pick up a jug of milk without back spasms. My hips and knees forced me to look for a bench. If I couldn't, I'd lean heavily on the cart. If a motorized handicap buggy was available, I'd use it...for a mere jug of milk! I knew that in order to protect my dad's lufe, I needed to get healthier and stronger. That is when I went low carb. No sugar, very few if any grains. Most carbs came from green veggies and nuts. I fed daddy this way too. We enjoyed his last two years. Until July 2016. Both of us pushing walkers for exercise, weigh in, staying neck to neck on the scale. We each got down to 210 before a nurse overdosed daddy on blood thinners. His internal organs bled out. Mom didn't want to sue. I was so hurt for my father. I lost 3 more lbs even as I started eating comfort foods again. (Sugary carbs) Then, I regained back up to 225. Recently, I remembered how often my dad told me that he was so proud of me for taking the bull by the horns. I recently decided in March, to 1st of all, take back my control. I will get back down to where I was 207. Then my goal is to get below "morbid obesity" status. I'm now back down to 216.
I'm on a healthy Ketogenic way of life until I lose the weight. 20-45 carbs per Day. I try to stick some protein and a leafy green in my mouth anout every 3 hours. I bought a Garmin Vivofit Fitness tracker. My knees hurt, so I set my goals low. Adding 100 steps / day to my goals on each Sunday.
If my knees hurt too bad, I will go to the YMCA and water walk in the pool in order to accomplish my goals. I am up to 4600 steps per day. My heart isn't acting up much if any at all. My and are feeling a little flatter! My short term goal is 207. My long term goal is 167. My lowest weight after begining to bear children was 127. I am ambivalent about believing in that as a possibility. But I am not willing to dismiss the idea at this point. For now, I will be happy to be merely "obese" for the 1st time in 30 years, rather than "morbidly obese", or "super morbidly obese"

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For me, the grains and sugars (fruit doesn't bother me, added sugars do) are some of the worst. I do turmeric to help with inflammation - and I'm super careful of which sweeteners I use. Aspartame and Sucralose cause me joint pain, too.

I've had some ... well, trauma, though it feels disingenuous to call it that in light of what others have endured, with my attempts to return to lower carb/ketogenic diets (after 18 months on it before)...due to some bad digestive pyrotechnics, shall we said.

The pool is FABULOUS EXERCISE, especially for those who have such burdens on their bodies due to age, weight, or health...

It sounds like your progress is amazing, and I'm so sorry for the senseless loss of your father after helping him regain so much quality of life! A least you gave him that gift!!! <3

HUGS, and welcome, @1182sheep
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, absolutely seconded about the pool! If there are any aqua aerobics classes they’re great too, even with dodgy joints.