5/14 Monday Day 14 SLBC: Sit Less at Work and Move It Monday

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
c64bhwvdv84p.jpg

Theme: Sitting Less at Work and Move It Monday!

Today's Challenge: Many of us sit a lot at work. For today's challenge, look for ways you can reduce your work-time sitting. Maybe walk over and talk with a co-worker rather than sending them an email? Have a walking meeting? Use a restroom on a different floor or further away than the restroom you normally use? Take the stairs and not the elevator? There are lots of possibilities! What ways can you sit less at work?

Alternative Challenge: A favorite of the Building Healthy Habits group...It's Move It Monday!

8rp0nobp3sk1.jpeg

Move It Monday is an international campaign encouraging people of all fitness levels to kick off the week with exercise because it's been shown that people who exercise on Monday are more likely to also exercise the rest of the week. Monday is a clean slate. It's like a mini New Year's Day! We have a dedicated thread to Move It Monday, so if you are doing this challenge today, please post your work-out here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637806/move-it-monday-weekly-challenge/

Replies

• themedalist
    Options

epr59tctorr7.jpg

28xochg64lyb.png

• themedalist
    Options
    c4pxyd5xk9fo.jpg

uyab8hjdb6b1.png

• pennysob
    pennysob Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Just keep moving!!
  • themedalist
    edited May 2018
    Options
    pennysob wrote: »
    Just keep moving!!

Well said, @pennysob. When you just keep moving, a lot of good things fall into place.
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    44 mins elliptical done! Happy Monday!
  • themedalist
    Options

@OrlisMoonpie688, thank you for your post!

I really enjoy hearing from Boot Camp participants how it's going for them....good and bad. It's the feedback from participants that motivates me to want to keep offering Boot Camp every May and October. I'm like most people: I have a job, a family, other commitments and other interests. I want to know if Sit Less Boot Camp is useful to people and I only know that if people chime in on occasion and post. Even a 15 second, "This is a helpful challenge" or "This is not helpful and here's why..." gives me something to go on. And you're right, it's the posts and comments of others that can give us other ideas to sit less and move more.

Thanks for writing!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    One of the ways I have reduced sitting is when I teach in an on-ground classroom. I realized I was delivery much of my content sitting at the instructor station. It really isn't the best way to teach, but I had fallen into bad/lazy habits. So, I now try to move around the room as I deliver my material, I use the clicker to advance my PowerPoint slides, and if the students are working together, I walk around the room to visit the different groups. I also try to work in at least one activity per class that gets my students out of their seats. We are all more active and engaged with the material (and hopefully it interferes with the students being on their phones constantly).
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    One of the ways I have reduced sitting is when I teach in an on-ground classroom. I realized I was delivery much of my content sitting at the instructor station. It really isn't the best way to teach, but I had fallen into bad/lazy habits. So, I now try to move around the room as I deliver my material, I use the clicker to advance my PowerPoint slides, and if the students are working together, I walk around the room to visit the different groups. I also try to work in at least one activity per class that gets my students out of their seats. We are all more active and engaged with the material (and hopefully it interferes with the students being on their phones constantly).

Such a great idea, @77tes! It’s also great that you get your students out of their chairs at least once during the class. Everyone wins!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Today I made sure I took went outside for a few laps around the parking lot. Every day I tell myself I'm going to take a walk after dinner and most of the time something else gets my attention instead. So today I decided to take quick walks whenever one of my meetings ended early. I got two different 10-15 minute walks in today, and the weather was SO nice! I really enjoyed it and it was so refreshing to get away from my cubicle!

@themedalist I very much appreciate the time you take to do the Boot Camp! I am so much more aware of my habits and my sedentary lifestyle than I ever have been in 58 years of my life. I love all the ideas you and the group share for getting more activity in, as well as great triggers to remind me to get up and move. This group has changed my life in more than one area, and I have you to thank most of all. Thank you, Denise!