Starting 5x5 and training for a half?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm not new to MFP or lifting, but new to Stronglifts. I am supposed to be doing a half (also not new to running, this will be my 5th half). I am wondering if you think it would be ok for me to start both programs at the same time (starting stronglifts and starting my running training).

I'm thinking a typical week would look like this:

Mon: long run
Tues: stronglifts
Wed: short run (3 mi)
Thurs: shortish run (3-5 mi)
Fri: stronglifts
Sat: rest
Sun:rest

So, I would only be doing SL twice a week rather than the prescribed 3 times a week. And incorporating running with increasing distances on Mondays only.

What do y'all think? Am I setting myself up for failure to start both at the same time? Or can it be done? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Replies

• girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Strength training will only improve your running :smile:

I think that is completely manageable, you may want to back off just before your race but quite a few girls on here enjoy running and lifting

:drinker:
  • HeatherOltmans
    HeatherOltmans Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! Looking forward to getting started. Today :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Barbell training is pretty strenuous and requires recovery time. I would not be able to sustain such volume, and I am only a year older than you. But see how it goes--maybe you can handle that amount of activity with only two days of rest a week.
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat training for a cycling tour and doing Stronglifts simultaneously. It wasn't easy. Those are competing interests and not only do you need to conserve energy for your running, the nutritional requirements are different.

Did Stronglifts twice a week and cycled 5x a week until the week before my tour. I did not increase weight but in fact de-loaded during that time, especially on the squats. Stopped lifting altogether from that point for a period of two weeks.

Had to go heavy on the complex carbs, lighter on the fats, but tried to stay at 1 gm of protein per pound of lean body mass. My body much prefers higher protein/lower carbs so it was confused and unhappy during these few months. It has been one week since I completed the tour and am just now getting back to normal.
  • girlie100
    Options
    Barbell training is pretty strenuous and requires recovery time. I would not be able to sustain such volume, and I am only a year older than you. But see how it goes--maybe you can handle that amount of activity with only two days of rest a week.

Everyone's different, if you are already a runner then going for a 3 mile run isn't very taxing and depending on experience 5 miles isn't strenuous either. Lifting 2 days a week will complement the running and if shes starting out on stronglifts as prescribed the weight is going to be low
  • girlie100
    Options
    I was in the same boat training for a cycling tour and doing Stronglifts simultaneously. It wasn't easy. Those are competing interests and not only do you need to conserve energy for your running, the nutritional requirements are different.

Did Stronglifts twice a week and cycled 5x a week until the week before my tour. I did not increase weight but in fact de-loaded during that time, especially on the squats. Stopped lifting altogether from that point for a period of two weeks.

Had to go heavy on the complex carbs, lighter on the fats, but tried to stay at 1 gm of protein per pound of lean body mass. My body much prefers higher protein/lower carbs so it was confused and unhappy during these few months. It has been one week since I completed the tour and am just now getting back to normal.

I prefer low carb and spend most of my time apart from the occasional meal out below 50g carbs and function quite well lifting 4x week as well as playing football. I ran a 1/2 marathon in 2hrs 30 on low carb and without carb loading or consuming any carbs during the race, and I had to run with a football injury. As long as your body has adapted to how you like to function all works nicely :)
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options

Everyone's different, if you are already a runner then going for a 3 mile run isn't very taxing and depending on experience 5 miles isn't strenuous either. Lifting 2 days a week will complement the running and if shes starting out on stronglifts as prescribed the weight is going to be low

Well, knock yourselves out then :)
  • kitkat4141
    kitkat4141 Posts: 379 Member
    Options

I prefer low carb and spend most of my time apart from the occasional meal out below 50g carbs and function quite well lifting 4x week as well as playing football. I ran a 1/2 marathon in 2hrs 30 on low carb and without carb loading or consuming any carbs during the race, and I had to run with a football injury. As long as your body has adapted to how you like to function all works nicely :)

Wish I had that sage advice before I started training. Everything I read and everyone I spoke to recommended the high carb approach and warned I would not have enough fuel for my cycling. So I ate and the result was weight gain, puffiness, bloating.
  • girlie100
    Options

Wish I had that sage advice before I started training. Everything I read and everyone I spoke to recommended the high carb approach and warned I would not have enough fuel for my cycling. So I ate and the result was weight gain, puffiness, bloating.

My body does the same with carbs :( sad times

I recommend The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance by Stephen Phinney