5/20 Sunday Day 20 SLBC: Keeping the Movement Going

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
edited May 2018 in Social Groups
47dn1tvfd2e4.jpg

Theme: Keeping the Movement Going

Today's Challenge: As Sit Less Boot Camp draws to a close, it's a good time to think about what comes next. How is your transition out of the chair going? Are you sitting less and moving more? Are you still practicing your “One Thing” or has it become a habit you just do now without thinking? There are lots of ways to build on the foundation you've established this month and keep moving. Here are just a few ideas:

1. Check out the Next Steps page on Quitting the Sitting for some resources I've compiled over the years. If you are interested in learning more about habits, I've got some recommendations for you. http://www.quittingthesitting.org/next-steps.html

2. Want a gentle nudge to keep sitting less? I post several times a week to Quitting the Sitting's Facebook (@quittingthesitting) and Twitter (@quitthesitting ) feeds. Think of it as a reliable stopping cue. :-)

3, If you like the focus on habits, stay with us here on the Building Healthy Habits group. Each week we will have a different weekly challenge that will help us create new healthy habits. If you'd like to get a weekly reminder once a new challenge is posted, send me an email to: buildinghealthyhabits2@gmail.com.

4. Finally, please take a few minutes to fill out the on-line evaluation survey and tell us what you liked (or didn't like) and how we can improve Sit Less Boot Camp. I listen to your feedback. The survey form is here:

http://www.quittingthesitting.org/sit-less-boot-camp-evaluation.html

Your comments, ideas, suggestions are most welcome and appreciated!

We will wrap up on Monday with a summary activity and a few concluding thoughts.

Thanks for being part of May’s Sit Less Boot Camp!!

Replies

• sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    thank you for doing this for us it never hurts to have reminders after a time to get up its so easy to fall back into old habits this has helped me to get back into being more motivated to sit less :)
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the challenges, information, FB page and all your support. This has been a great resource for me on my healthy living journey.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Thank you @sandra8841 and @prgirl39mfp for your posts now and over the course of Boot Camp. Because many people read the daily challenges but don’t post, I don’t have a clear sense of whether these challenges are useful to them and helping them to sit less. The feedback and posts from participants is so motivating to me and it’s what makes me want to offer Boot Camp again in the the future.

Thank you for your input!
  • pennysob
    pennysob Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Thank you for insightful ways to sit less!
  • themedalist
    Options
    For those who may be interested in participating again, the next scheduled Sit Less Boot Camp is May, 2019. I’m going to be restructuring the program and making some changes (likely shortening it to 2 weeks) to make it more sustainable for me to keep doing this and hopefully the changes will broaden the appeal to MFPers to participate. I recognize 3 weeks is a long time. On the flip side, cultivating healthier habits doesn’t happen overnight.

If you’d like an email reminder of the next Boot Camp, here’s the link:

https://www.quittingthesitting.org/sit-less-boot-camp-reminder.html

Thanks for the feedback here and through the Boot Camp evaluations. I appreciate your comments, input, and suggestions!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,984 Member
    Options
    This has been a great program, @themedalist ! Thanks for putting all these materials together. Just the simple reminder of your daily challenges help me to keep pushing myself to sit less and move more. Having been a couch potato for many years makes this harder. As I get older, I know it takes a bit more effort to defy gravity and stay active.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GOZwJdpmdpw
  • themedalist
    Options
    @77tes, what an uplifting song and video! Thanks for sharing it. And you are right...it is hard to defy gravity and inertia and to get up and move more. But the benefits of living an active lifestyle are many and as several of you have said, it just feels good to move.

Thanks for sharing this!
  • Jinantonix
    Jinantonix Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm back after 10 days incommunicado The good news is I've averaged 15,000 steps a day whilst I was offline. The bad news is I was on a cruise with all the associated temptations
  • themedalist
    Options
    Jinantonix wrote: »
    I'm back after 10 days incommunicado The good news is I've averaged 15,000 steps a day whilst I was offline. The bad news is I was on a cruise with all the associated temptations

I’m sure you had a great time, @Jinantonix. And wohoo for averaging 15,000 steps a day!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Denise, I learned a lot with this challenge. Thank you for all your hard work and the great information you shared. I loved it and plan on figuring out on a daily basis "how to make my day harder." I thought I was pretty good a moving more than the average bear every day...turns out there is so much more I can be doing.

BTW...I completed the survey