Gradings

Options
Dory_42
Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
I noticed we don't have a thread to keep track of when people grade and as I have just got my first belt at a grading I decided to start it!

Blue belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu! Along with 9 of my team mates who got blue or purple belts yesterday. 6 of our kids got yellow and there were an abundance of stripes for adults and kids so it was a good day all round.

Replies

• JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Great going!

How long did it take from white to blue? (months, number of classes per week, things you've learned or struggled with?)
  • Dory_42
    Options
    JJordon wrote: »
    Great going!

How long did it take from white to blue? (months, number of classes per week, things you've learned or struggled with?)

Three years, but that includes 3 months out for knee injury (caused by fencing, not Jiu Jitsu) and 6 months out for two concussions in 3 weeks. Most of the time I did 2 classes and one open mat per week, but the big switch came for me in December last year. I had avoided competition after my concussions due to fear of takedowns. Decided at the last minute to compete to get over the fear and won my division. My whole game changed after that and in the months since I have done as much training as possible. I have quite a flexible schedule with work and when possible spend a couple of hours training with our mma team in the mornings, or meeting with some of the girls to roll or drill outside of normal sessions. I do minimum of 4 hours and up to about 16 hours of Jiu Jitsu a week. I find it helps to have a balance of training with those who are better than me who push me to improve and helping the newer girls or kids because I need to understand what I'm doing to explain it to them.
    I've learnt so much but I think the biggest lessons were to push through when it's tough and to stop doubting myself.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Massive congratulations, @Dory_42!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Dory_42 wrote: »
    Great going!

helping the newer girls or kids because I need to understand what I'm doing to explain it to them.

I learn SOOO MUCH MORE teaching than I ever did learning it the first time. Having to break down the things that others struggle with is such a valuable asset.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, yes. For example, someone asks me for help with their new form, and as I attempt to break whichever technique down for this poor student, I suddenly realise that I don't do it properly and I have in fact been blagging move #7 in this form at high speed ever since I first learnt it.

I always used to wonder why the best martial arts instructors were so humble when they were such amazing martial artists... I suspect the early years of teaching moments like that destroyed any ability to take excessive pride in themselves. :smiley:
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    Congrats!

I have a tournament tomorrow. There are only 3 of us competing, 2 of us are women and I am the only brown belt. Not sure how that is going to work.

The next Saturday is a grading. We usually grade over 2 weeks so I won't know how I did until the end of June. The head sense wants to give me my black belt back, so we will see if that happens. I am a bit nervous for both the tournament and the grading since I haven't got nearly enough practice with my katas
  • Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Good luck @versicolour! Hope today went well.

In the school where I'm currently studying, you aren't invited to test/grade until you have already demonstrated in class that you know the material well enough to move up. So if you test, a new belt is pretty much a foregone conclusion (at least through 1st Dan).
  • Versicolour
    Options
    Arianera wrote: »
    Good luck @versicolour! Hope today went well.

In the school where I'm currently studying, you aren't invited to test/grade until you have already demonstrated in class that you know the material well enough to move up. So if you test, a new belt is pretty much a foregone conclusion (at least through 1st Dan).

Thank you. I came first (out of a total of 4 adults) in kata and 2nd (out of a total of 3 adults) for kumite.

We are the same, but the head sense doesn't really attend our classes. Our class sense has been restricting my grading to the level I am capable of and comfortable with so every grading has been completely surprising and a topic of much debate among the various dojo heads within our school! I am quite unaccustomed to so much attention. It is quite unnerving.
  • Versicolour
    Options
    We did our grading today. We will get the results next week. Or, everyone else will. The head sensei told me he wants to talk to me in a month's time. I'm guessing it is because I am almost there but not quite. I'm happy with whatever though.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    We did our grading today. We will get the results next week. Or, everyone else will. The head sensei told me he wants to talk to me in a month's time. I'm guessing it is because I am almost there but not quite. I'm happy with whatever though.

You will get it! We have a saying in BJJ - it's not who is best, it is who is left. Keep doing your thing!

• Versicolour
    Options
    I got my grading results and I have been promoted to 3rd brown (last belt before black). I am so happy! Having got my black belt before, I know what it felt like to be at that level and I am definitely not there. I do feel like a 3rd brown though, so I am satisfied that when I am ready for black they will give it to me
  • Dory_42
    Options
    WooHoo. Well done!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    I got my grading results and I have been promoted to 3rd brown (last belt before black). I am so happy! Having got my black belt before, I know what it felt like to be at that level and I am definitely not there. I do feel like a 3rd brown though, so I am satisfied that when I am ready for black they will give it to me

Congrats! 1st kyu / kup / gup? Great going here. I guess it is time to begin preparing for Sho Dan / Cho Dan / Il Dan?

• Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @Versicolour

(apropos of our previous discussion that belts colors need context, in my school brown 3 is the lowest brown belt and brown 1 is the highest/last step before testing for black)
  • Versicolour
    Options

Congrats! 1st kyu / kup / gup? Great going here. I guess it is time to begin preparing for Sho Dan / Cho Dan / Il Dan?

Thank you. Yes, now the prep begins! My sensei is very excited because we only recently started the adult classes at our dojo and we are the first adults he has ever trained. Which will make me his first black belt student (when I get there). I am now 10th kyu and preparing for sho dan
    Arianera wrote: »
    Congratulations @Versicolour

(apropos of our previous discussion that belts colors need context, in my school brown 3 is the lowest brown belt and brown 1 is the highest/last step before testing for black)

Yeah, as I was writing it I thought about that. But then I didn't have my grading forms close to check the kyu! Which also seems to be different for each style. Anyway, suffice it to say I am nearly at first Dan (which of course is probably not this year). There is a lot of training to get in before I get there
  • Dory_42
    Options
    That's awesome. I was my coach's first female blue belt (with my friend). We have a few other blue belt girls (one at 4 stripes already), but they moved to the club with their blue belts.
  • Versicolour
    Options
    Dory_42 wrote: »
    That's awesome. I was my coach's first female blue belt (with my friend). We have a few other blue belt girls (one at 4 stripes already), but they moved to the club with their blue belts.

It's nice breaking in new instructors :tongue:
  • Bianca42
    Bianca42 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My boys and I were promoted to brown belt a few weeks ago and have begun training with commas. They were beyond excited to buy their sets today and use them for class. Sadly they only had 2 sets in stock and I have to wait for the next order to come in. (In our school, brown is 3 belts away from black...brown, red, red-black and then you test for black.)
  • Versicolour
    Options
    Bianca42 wrote: »
    My boys and I were promoted to brown belt a few weeks ago and have begun training with commas. They were beyond excited to buy their sets today and use them for class. Sadly they only had 2 sets in stock and I have to wait for the next order to come in. (In our school, brown is 3 belts away from black...brown, red, red-black and then you test for black.)

Congratulations!