5/21 Monday Day 21 SLBC: Please Share Your Accomplishments

themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
gihanjxxzxx7.jpg

And now we cross the finish line of Sit Less Boot Camp!

Theme: Our Sit Less Accomplishments!

Today’s Challenge: On the last day of Sit Less Boot Camp, please share the progress you’ve made in sitting less and moving more. Nothing is too small or too big to be noted and celebrated.

And if you’ve encountered some frustration and resistance along the way, please share that as well. There is likely someone in our group who has experienced the same thing and can give you assistance and support.

............................................................................................................................

If you haven't already filled out an evaluation, I would appreciate the feedback. The survey form is here:

http://www.quittingthesitting.org/sit-less-boot-camp-evaluation.html

Your comments, ideas, suggestions are most welcome and appreciated!

................................................................................................................................

Thanks for being part of May’s Sit Less Boot Camp!!

Replies

• themedalist
    edited May 2018
    As we wrap up May’s Sit Less Boot Camp, I wanted to give you some information about this month's challenge and the collective impact we've had in sitting less and moving more.

171 My Fitness Pal members participated in this 6th session of Sit Less Boot Camp. Participants came from all across the world: the US, Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, China, France, Norway, Peru, and Trinidad & Tobago. This was truly a global effort.

Many of you also took the additional step of creating your own customized sit less plan and selecting a target for reducing your daily sitting (recall the Bronze, Silver, Gold, and Platinum levels). If you joined us late or missed that post and would like to be included in the group total, there's still time. Here's the link: http://www.quittingthesitting.org/act-now.html.

Collectively, our group has pledged to reduce their sitting time by 8,935 hours a year! That's quite a reduction!

The most frequently cited actions for sitting less (from those who created their sit less plan) are:
    • Setting a reminder to take movement breaks throughout the day
    • Getting a targeted number of steps each day
    • Getting up and walking during commercials
    • Walking around when on phone calls
    • Not ignoring your Fitbit when it reminds you to move

Here is our summary image that will soon be proudly displayed on the Quitting the Sitting website for all to see!

lna0j1w2arpv.jpg
  • themedalist
    edited May 2018
    Even though this is the sixth Boot Camp we’ve held, I always find a few more ways to sit less. This time, my one thing has been to stand while I read my 3 morning e-newsletters. They come reliably every morning, so opening my inbox and seeing them is the natural trigger. I am now standing without thinking about it. Always a good sign. I’m also going to stand for any e-newsletter that I receive, since I get quite a few that come sporadically.

As we know, it’s pretty easy to slip out of good habits. With a slight change in triggers it can happen. But good news, once a good habit is practiced enough and becomes part of your daily routine, it’s usually pretty easy to pick it up again. Of course other factors, such as our own motivation to do the habit, matter greatly. We cannot force ourselves to adopt a habit we just don’t want to do.

• prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Thank you again Denise for your hard work and dedication to this cause. You are changing lives.

I need to continue putting into action all I have learned here. It is really easy to slip back into old habits. Grateful to be a part of this movement and getting all the tools and information I need to succeed.

I am sitting less, moving more, being mindful of my decisions in terms of food and exercise but there still lots of room for improvement. I need to get rid of my anxiety to explore, live more, get out there. Work in progress.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    I really enjoyed this challenge. My step count increased about 3000 more steps on average daily. My goal of walking at sunrise everyday was adjusted to turning on the song HAVANA and dancing to it while my cup of coffee cooled off for a few minutes. Dancing to this song was not pretty (I can not dance) but the tempo of this song allows me to move my sore body and by the time the song is over I am no longer stiff.

The most important achievement from this challenge was that it inspired my son to get up and move. He was home for a visit and he is quite inactive and holding on to some extra weight. He told me that I was a bada$$ and that if I was up and moving all day then he sure can get moving too.

Thank so much Denise for having me and motivating not only me but many others.
  • sandra8841
    sandra8841 Posts: 35 Member
    I pace while my tea is steeping and while on my phone checking my email first thing in the morning instead of checking it while sitting at the computer...I have also given myself the goal of rearranging my small apartment so that things are not quit so convenient and I have to walk a little more to do simple chores like laundry etc.
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,646 Member
    Walking more every day has become a priority instead of a wish or a “should”. My average step count increased by about 3000 a day since boot camp began. I enjoyed hearing about everyone’s goals and progress and found so many posts encouraging and inspiring. Small changes made consistently over time really do become habits. Now I know I can do better because I already have. Thank you, Denise, for providing this opportunity for so many to become better one day at a time. Several years ago I would park as close to the store as possible. Often that meant circling the parking lot several times. Now I park wherever I can and welcome the extra steps. I noticed the other day at Walmart that I wasn’t annoyed when I had to backtrack to get items on the other side of the store. I just said, “ Great!! More steps” and took off
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,732 Member
    edited May 2018
    I had a bit of an epiphany during this boot camp. I was grading essays on the computer and only had two more to finish the class, but l got up and put away a load of laundry. For me, that was a huge win!
  • MmamabearR
    MmamabearR Posts: 234 Member
    I'm so sorry for not checking in for the past week or so. I've been so busy at work and at home I get little free time. Usually I try to stop by MFP in the morning before the 8 o'clock whistle blows, but it's been off and running and sadly sitting. Long story short, I've been sitting at various people's desks, replacing and setting up new phones. I thought surely I'd be getting in a lot of steps walking from department to department, but nope! I was barely cracking 10K steps even though I was left tired at the end of the day. The weekend was busy with home projects, so I did a lot of not-sitting, but still didn't sit long enough to check in on the boot camp. But, I still plan on taking what lessons I have learned from here and applying them. And I'll be sure to check back on the days I missed so I don't miss out on something that could benefit me and my health!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,732 Member
    Another win. I'm at work today and am remembering to get up to look in the file drawer instead of rolling the chair over to the file cabinet. Of course this doesn't come naturally, so I generally roll over and then stand up and push my chair away before I get in the file drawer. :D
  • themedalist
    Thank you again Denise for your hard work and dedication to this cause. You are changing lives.

I need to continue putting into action all I have learned here. It is really easy to slip back into old habits. Grateful to be a part of this movement and getting all the tools and information I need to succeed.

I am sitting less, moving more, being mindful of my decisions in terms of food and exercise but there still lots of room for improvement. I need to get rid of my anxiety to explore, live more, get out there. Work in progress.

@prgirl39mfp, it sure is easy to slip into old habits. But I also think that with practice it can be just as easy to slip into better habits. You are making huge strides. Sitting less, moving more, and being more mindful about food and exercise choices is terrific progress!
  • themedalist
    pizzafruit wrote: »
    Hi Denise - You've certainly opened my eyes. I honestly never gave much thought to the amount of sitting I actually do.

Not being in a healthy place I compensate or tolerate what my body is unable to do. I'm now very aware that when I don't move enough, the stiffness begins to set in.

Prior to this, I attributed all the little aches to age and being so overweight. I know those are the major contributing factors but allowing my body to be so sedentary really hinders getting me where I want and need to be. Life really is "putting one foot in front of the other".

Thank you for sharing the knowledge and giving of your time.

I am so happy to hear this, @pizzafruit! You are so right that being overweight and sedentary are two separate health issues. You don’t have to do a marathon, but making a point to get up and move frequently really does alleviate stiffness and pain. Motion IS lotion!
  • themedalist
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I really enjoyed this challenge. My step count increased about 3000 more steps on average daily. My goal of walking at sunrise everyday was adjusted to turning on the song HAVANA and dancing to it while my cup of coffee cooled off for a few minutes. Dancing to this song was not pretty (I can not dance) but the tempo of this song allows me to move my sore body and by the time the song is over I am no longer stiff.

The most important achievement from this challenge was that it inspired my son to get up and move. He was home for a visit and he is quite inactive and holding on to some extra weight. He told me that I was a bada$$ and that if I was up and moving all day then he sure can get moving too.

Thank so much Denise for having me and motivating not only me but many others.

This is all great to hear, @PinkyPan1. I’m very familiar with Havana. A great song to sway/dance to. And you nudged your son to be more active? That’s awesome! What a great ripple effect!
  • themedalist
    sandra8841 wrote: »
    I pace while my tea is steeping and while on my phone checking my email first thing in the morning instead of checking it while sitting at the computer...I have also given myself the goal of rearranging my small apartment so that things are not quit so convenient and I have to walk a little more to do simple chores like laundry etc.

These are terrific shifts in habits that will infuse your day with more movement, @sandra8841. And they seem very sustainable to me. Rearranging your apartment to make things just a little less convenient is a great idea!
  • themedalist
    nebslp wrote: »
    Walking more every day has become a priority instead of a wish or a “should”. My average step count increased by about 3000 a day since boot camp began. I enjoyed hearing about everyone’s goals and progress and found so many posts encouraging and inspiring. Small changes made consistently over time really do become habits. Now I know I can do better because I already have. Thank you, Denise, for providing this opportunity for so many to become better one day at a time. Several years ago I would park as close to the store as possible. Often that meant circling the parking lot several times. Now I park wherever I can and welcome the extra steps. I noticed the other day at Walmart that I wasn’t annoyed when I had to backtrack to get items on the other side of the store. I just said, “ Great!! More steps” and took off

Its just a shift in mindset isn’t it, @nebslp? Exercise and movement aren't things that get done if there’s time left in the day, they become priorities, and step ahead of other things. Small changes do become habits and small habits are easier to sustain.

I love your comment, “Now I know I can do better because I already have”. So true! We don’t have to just sit there and take getting older. We can fight back and become healthier and better versions of ourselves, beyond what we could imagine. It won’t happen overnight, but lay a good foundation of habits and it WILL happen.
  • themedalist
    77tes wrote: »
    I had a bit of an epiphany during this boot camp. I was grading essays on the computer and only had two more to finish the class, but l got up and put away a load of laundry. For me, that was a huge win!

It is a huge win, @77tes, when your body starts telling you “Hey, enough sitting...let’s go do something!”
  • themedalist
    MmamabearR wrote: »
    I'm so sorry for not checking in for the past week or so. I've been so busy at work and at home I get little free time. Usually I try to stop by MFP in the morning before the 8 o'clock whistle blows, but it's been off and running and sadly sitting. Long story short, I've been sitting at various people's desks, replacing and setting up new phones. I thought surely I'd be getting in a lot of steps walking from department to department, but nope! I was barely cracking 10K steps even though I was left tired at the end of the day. The weekend was busy with home projects, so I did a lot of not-sitting, but still didn't sit long enough to check in on the boot camp. But, I still plan on taking what lessons I have learned from here and applying them. And I'll be sure to check back on the days I missed so I don't miss out on something that could benefit me and my health!

it sounds like your job gives you quite a bit of natural activity, @MmamabearR. And it happens... some weeks are just ridiculously crazy. I tried to label each of the daily challenges by theme so that they’d be easy to find. I am glad that you found the information in Boot Camp useful to you.