Rescue pics...

Options
knotgood77
knotgood77 Posts: 69 Member
I picked my contribution to this today...for free. I am curious what is the bike that is the most far gone you have picked up for any project, be it a resto, or a custom? This mess I grabbed as a FIXIE style project. The guy I got it from thinks it's an older Raleigh. oj2gphc7hf31.jpg Almost a shame taking off the classic handlebar wrap, tan side actual h-bar tape with a wine cork for an end cap, black side used inner tube and black/silver duct tape.

Replies

• dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    oh wow!!! have fun with that one!
  • knotgood77
    Options
    lol, it's a bit rough right now. Is to be a Fixie when done, not doing a resto on this. Will put some pics up when done.
  • knotgood77
    Options
    hn27qwlve81f.jpg
  • dra760
    dra760 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    knotgood77 wrote: »
    hn27qwlve81f.jpg

looks good!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    That will keep you busy!
  • knotgood77
    Options
    Am waiting for the parts needed to convert the BB from a vintage round spindle with keyed flats to the tapered square drive needed for modern cranks. Should be here early next week. As long as it works I will go ahead and order the rest of the parts needed for this that I already know will work.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    edited May 2018
    Options
    hmm, doesn't look like any "proper" raleigh I can think of unless it was pretty much early 50's or older - fairly sure that Raleigh at nottingham or Ilkeston weren't using bolt-on seatstays and gas-pipe lugs on anything other than the "sit up and beg" bikes that were typical police issue or the kind of thing that the local district nurse rode around to visit sick people in the villages... and they'd have the braze ons for rod operated brakes!

dead giveaway would be the headtube would be drilled for the Heron headbadge... three holes in a triangle to match the rivets on this...

lbpata4j31mc.jpg

of course it MIGHT be one of those american fake Raleighs that were churned out by schwinn/huffy :shudder:

• knotgood77
    Options
    It may not be a Raleigh ....is definitely not American though. Am switching out all the Whitworth nuts and bolts to metric as I go through it.

And this.....!!!
    zugjoxrgffj7.jpg
  • knotgood77
    Options
    After stripping the frame, the head tube has no holed drilled for a maker's badge. The hardware seems to be a mix of things.....given the original owner's thoughts it might be a Raleigh, I was thinking Whitworth, as many of the fasteners seem to fall between imperial/metric sizing. A buddy of mine just bought a late 30's Columbia yesterday, and the crown and shape of the fork design are a match. So I searched through the listing for the frame # and it would compare to a 57, but the only pics I can find from that year for a Columbia are a Firestorm which it is def. not......
  • knotgood77
    Options
    Square drive bottom bracket conversion done....not without some sweat,6duns3rdfz6e.jpg
    and swearing, but still done.
  • knotgood77
    Options
    A little paint work on the forks I am calling woven decay. Outside of each leg, is gonna fit well with the theme of this bike when all together. ppd9pu2nawfs.jpg
  • knotgood77
    edited June 2018
    Options
    Doin' my part too bring a little life to this bicycle group......it may be too late for this 1....call it, time 4:44pm 6/6/18.
    o6zl8pv9s13e.jpg
  • knotgood77
    Options
    It's Alive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • knotgood77
    Options
    first 17 miles on this today!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    that's one seriously old old-school frame with a very fresh and modern update on the "oily bits" and hoops...

not to my personal taste, i'm afraid - I like to keep things "in period" more or less, but if the alternative is the frame just rusting away, and one less person riding the bike, then fair play and crack on...

THIS is more my kind of restoration thread... a bit more modern, and this one is DEFINITELY a real Raleigh - the frame numbers say it's a "competition shop" frame from Ilkeston in 1989, and the 1989 Raleigh Catalogue PDF I found bears that out...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10409917/project-not-quite-eroica/p1

32784055540_f7acffd467_b.jpgRaleigh, with a side order of Raleigh by The Big Yin, on Flickr

• TheBigYin
    Options
    oh boy, that IS an old frame... just looking at those angles you can tell it's from way back...

interesting combination with the modern oily bits and wheels - not really my kind of thing if i'm honest - my restorations tend to be more "period in-keeping" than this one - but if the alternative is a frame rotting away or hitting landfill, then its good with me :)

this thread is more of my kind of restoration job...

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10409917/project-not-quite-eroica/p1

the bike came out pretty nice in the end though...

6dr6ghdf1td0.jpg

• TheBigYin
    Options
    dunno why that double posted
  • knotgood77
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    dunno why that double posted

I think it's likely you just wanted twice as many pics of a genuine Raleigh in this post....fair play.
    Looks good by the way. I was never intending to do a legit resto job, so it seemed fitting to grab something headed for the scrapyard as a starting point. To date I have been unsuccessful at identifying a make / model etc. Thank you for your comments. Especially on something I know is not your style, I appreciate that you can still see some value in it.