May 28 Weekly Challenge: Mindful Eating

Options

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    I am really enjoying your posts. I really appreciate that for most of us, mindful eating isn't easy. There's a natural inclination to multitask.

@PinkyPan1 and @HGSmith0920, having breakfast or coffee outside in the morning is a wonderful idea. I'm going to do that tomorrow morning. I have a slight fear that I will be breakfast for mosquitos if I don't keep moving, but I don't know that until I try.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I need to not listen to news on radio only relaxing instrumental in background while eating.
    I am inspired by all here. You are awesome.
    I really like the Just For Today Discussion Group. As well as this one.

Just for today I am committing to mindful living in all that I do especially mindful eating and mindful physical activity and movement.
    I'm also committed to Kitchen closed by 7:30 and oral hygiene by 7:30, bed by 9:30 for early rise.

I'm dictating this message on my phone while on my nice recumbent exercise bike not being very mindful about the exercise haha.

@Michaela_LaGata, wonderful concept of "Just for Today" Today is all we have. Today and its many strings of present moments is where our focus should be.
  • themedalist
    Options
    Signing off to mindfully enjoy my breakfast while the office is still quiet!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I’ve been eating breakfast outside each morning after someone in another group mentioned they had done it & oh what a difference! Mindfully tasting each blueberry.. several times I will find myself sitting back & just pleasantly pausing, taking in the sunlit leaves, the meal before me, breathing in the fresh air... it’s my/our new routine!

I love this, @MadisonMolly2017. We are such creatures of habit that unless we purposefully shake things up a bit, we will keep doing our same routines. Sometimes there’s a better routine, such as mindfully eating outdoors, just waiting to be discovered that will bring us greater happiness.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,132 Member
    Options
    @themedalist Yes, I have to say this one change (3 days now) has already become something I really look forward to. I notice how the weather & sunshine is different each time, the breezes, the temperature...

It has opened up a brand new way of thinking about my meals...and use of space. For example: breakfast outside, lunch at table in kitchen (but with fun music), snack in a tray in my cozy bedroom with my cat, and dinner perhaps we should use our dining room! Creating a variety of experiences...
  • Michaela_LaGata
    Michaela_LaGata Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    This is hard since I too eat and look at my computer or tv. Picking one meal as a start is a great idea, or coffee on the porch as someone posted. Baby steps. Maybe watching something while I exercise will benefit me more and make time fly, instead of doing it while eating.

@77tes the Eggplant parm was delicious, no one else liked it :'(

Great ideas. I often media on while I I am exercising.
  • Michaela_LaGata
    Options
    I am really enjoying your posts. I really appreciate that for most of us, mindful eating isn't easy. There's a natural inclination to multitask.

@PinkyPan1 and @HGSmith0920, having breakfast or coffee outside in the morning is a wonderful idea. I'm going to do that tomorrow morning. I have a slight fear that I will be breakfast for mosquitos if I don't keep moving, but I don't know that until I try.

I try to recall and also tell our young people that are ancestors and Grands often ate mindfully... they ate organic food not calling it organic... it just was and they ate little if any junk food because it didn't exist for the most part.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,004 Member
    Options

I try to recall and also tell our young people that are ancestors and Grands often ate mindfully... they ate organic food not calling it organic... it just was and they ate little if any junk food because it didn't exist for the most part.

So true! Visiting my grandmother was about eating produce from her garden and helping can it for the winter - all delicious, and so many veggies!

I think about how back in the day that if you ate cookies, someone in the house MADE those cookies, so quantities were limited.

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,004 Member
    Options
    This morning my DH made his special waffles for breakfast - a rare treat! They were delicious, crispy with the sweetness of maple syrup. Eaten mindfully, enjoying that he thinks about how we would like to celebrate the end of the school year.

However, a bit later I was feeling shaky and miserable and realized that my body was really not up to starting the day with all those sugars and carbs - 3 times as many as my usual breakfast. Good to know even though a bit disappointing. Healthy eating can make you a wimp with the sugars. :'(
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »

So true! Visiting my grandmother was about eating produce from her garden and helping can it for the winter - all delicious, and so many veggies!

I think about how back in the day that if you ate cookies, someone in the house MADE those cookies, so quantities were limited.

Good points! My great grandparents, like many, were farmers. Farming was sun up to sundown work. They would come in to eat as it was intended...to refuel for the hard work that still lay ahead. There were two breakfasts and a big lunch, with several homemade pies that my grandmother would make. And when she wasn’t preparing food, she was scrubbing laundry, also hard manual work.

And canning food for the long Minnesota winter was essential. It was a very different time.
  • themedalist
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    This morning my DH made his special waffles for breakfast - a rare treat! They were delicious, crispy with the sweetness of maple syrup. Eaten mindfully, enjoying that he thinks about how we would like to celebrate the end of the school year.

However, a bit later I was feeling shaky and miserable and realized that my body was really not up to starting the day with all those sugars and carbs - 3 times as many as my usual breakfast. Good to know even though a bit disappointing. Healthy eating can make you a wimp with the sugars. :'(

What a lovely gesture from your Hubby! and yes a great way to celebrate the end of the year. But I hear you on the simple sugars. Bodies get accustomed to healthy eating as much as they can get used to eating poorly. It probably makes it easier for you to keep making the healthier choices, since you feel better doing so.

I have enjoyed our mindful eating week. I plan to continue to mindfully eat at least one meal a day. It feels good to slow down and pay attention.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Mindfulness (reflection, present moment awareness, relaxation/reduced stress, slowing down) are all the key to a healthier body, I believe.

I do concentrate on each bite. If I can’t because of lack of planning or a schedule that was too tight, I find I don’t “register” those foods & often feel I need more later on.

I also use mindfulness in regards to my body image as I lose weight. Rather than getting upset and disappointed that something might not look the way I had hoped, I try to just be with it, knowing everything changes.

Mindfulness is helping me tremendously as I continue to make small changes to the foods I eat. I now pay attention to how a food lands in my stomach, how satisfying it was, how long it sustained my energy, and whether it later created cravings. I have many foods now that I “didn’t like” (but really hadn’t eaten much at all) that I now love & make me feel great. Baby steps.

Finally mindfulness has helped me really enjoy hiking, exercising, etc. I cannot deny how much better I feel when I do. I now choose to get out & move - for FUN! A miracle.

PS Mindfulness & a scientific mind also help me with the vagaries of scales & non-linear weight loss etc! I even analyzed and saw my scale readings lag 2-3 days from earlier behavior. Helps me stay calm & is preparing me for maintenance.

Thank you for this week @themedalist
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I spent the week enjoying my breakfast on the back deck by myself. I found doing this relaxing and enjoyable. However, when I tried this same approach to lunch and dinner I found it frustrating. Which only tells me that I need to practice it more. LOL

That’s a very interesting observation!
  • Michaela_LaGata
    Options
    Mindfulness (reflection, present moment awareness, relaxation/reduced stress, slowing down) are all the key to a healthier body, I believe.

I do concentrate on each bite. If I can’t because of lack of planning or a schedule that was too tight, I find I don’t “register” those foods & often feel I need more later on.

I also use mindfulness in regards to my body image as I lose weight. Rather than getting upset and disappointed that something might not look the way I had hoped, I try to just be with it, knowing everything changes.

Mindfulness is helping me tremendously as I continue to make small changes to the foods I eat. I now pay attention to how a food lands in my stomach, how satisfying it was, how long it sustained my energy, and whether it later created cravings. I have many foods now that I “didn’t like” (but really hadn’t eaten much at all) that I now love & make me feel great. Baby steps.

Finally mindfulness has helped me really enjoy hiking, exercising, etc. I cannot deny how much better I feel when I do. I now choose to get out & move - for FUN! A miracle.

PS Mindfulness & a scientific mind also help me with the vagaries of scales & non-linear weight loss etc! I even analyzed and saw my scale readings lag 2-3 days from earlier behavior. Helps me stay calm & is preparing me for maintenance.

Thank you for this week @themedalist

What a wonderful helpful and inspiring piece thank you for writing this.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @Michaela_LaGata Thank you so much!
    I am so glad it resonated with you! :)
  • themedalist
    Options
    @Michaela_LaGata Thank you so much!
    I am so glad it resonated with you! :)

I agree! @MadisonMolly2017, you’ve expressed the benefits and power of mindfulness beautifully! Thank you for posting!
  • themedalist
    Options
    For those of you who have the free version of the Calm app, their Mindful Eating Masterclass is unlocked and available through June 12th. I’ve taken several of their Masterclasses (podcasts) and they are excellent. Might be something to check out.
  • Michaela_LaGata
    Options
    For those of you who have the free version of the Calm app, their Mindful Eating Masterclass is unlocked and available through June 12th. I’ve taken several of their Masterclasses (podcasts) and they are excellent. Might be something to check out.

Thanks I saw that and I definitely want to check that out great idea.