How is everyone doing,as summer is winding down?

Options
Hello,my dear friends,It seems as if we haven't had a discussion for awhile,and wanted to check in and see how everyone is doing. I have been down with a nasty sinus infection for almost 2 weeks and it has really thrown me for a loop. I have had such a bad headache,I haven't felt like exercising. Last week,I was only 2 pounds from my goal,but with illness,comes depression,that threw off good eating,which in turn,ate way too much comfort food and gained 2 !/2 pounds. GRRRRR... Yesterday,I probably ate 4,000 calories. So ridiculous. I think my greatest disappointment was I thought once I lost all this weight,even though I feel physically better,thought I would feel mentally better,and haven't. I had a "so" called friend,tell me I have changed since I lost weight. I think it is because I felt more confident and saw through her bs,and let her know. Oh well.such is life. Starting today,I am going to track my food again and start my diary. Not going to let this weight creep up on me again. Please let me know how you all are doing,as I do care and love you all very much. You are very dear to me,even if we have never met face to face. Hope to hear from you. Your loving leader.:heart:

Replies

• bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. Hopefully you have more supportive people in your life than not supportive ones. Good for you for not giving up and for gaining confidence. My sister took some pictures of me the other night and said that I look so different since I started working out, not just my shape, but I have a confidence that I didn't really have before. Yay for weight loss success!

As for me, sort of a good news/bad news situation. I've sunk into a depression like I haven't had in quite a while. So I've really been struggling to be 100% honest in my diary and not eat things I don't have the calories for. But alas, I've been going between 157 and 155 for most of the summer so far... I got down to 154, but then it went back up again. I was hoping to be 150 or under by this point. I know in my brain that I have other things to do than eat, but it's almost like my body "needs" certain things like it needs air. I know that's not the case, but it's so hard to say no sometimes. I haven't even gone out to work in the yard for 2-3 weeks, and that's something I love to do. The good news, however, is that I can still summon the energy to lift on my weight training days. So I'm still doing something constructive I guess!

I hope you all are having a good summer. And thank you for being such a great group of people. :flowerforyou:
  • susanjean62
    Options
    Thank you for letting us know how you are doing. Gosh,I wish more of our group were active on this discussion. Sounds as if you are holding your own and keeping at a consistent weight and also weight lifting. I felt so much happier and stronger when I was exercising.I am also fighting depression and think I feel so alone,with little support. I just read an article about isolation and loneliness and it can actually destroy your immune system.Wish I knew all the answers. I just want to help anyone that may be struggling but afraid to voice it. Blessings to you,dear lady.:heart:
  • EvelynBfly78
    EvelynBfly78 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    It's true! By losing weight we gain confidence in ourselves & our self esteem rises. I've maintained my loss for over 7 months now. My weight fluctuates 3 lbs up, then those 3 lbs down. I'm happy with that.
    Susan - sorry you were not feeling well. Bookworm - sorry you are so depressed. But both of you can see the positive side & that's awesome.
    It's been a little warmer here lately so I've been walking my dog a little earlier in the morning when it's cooler. We used to walk over 2-1/4 miles at one time but now only about 1-1/2 miles. We still get plenty of exercise with our other little shorts walks during the day. I total about 4-1/2 to 5 miles daily. I'm hitting my 10k steps pretty much every day. I like the warmer weather but can't wait until it cools down so we can be more adventuresome on our walks.
    I've been trying to get out of the house more. This way I stay away from the computer & TV which is when I eat mindlessly. You know how that goes. I don't want to gain back my loss.
    Here's to a better autumn! :flowerforyou:
  • susanjean62
    Options
    Dear Evelyn,You are such an inspiration to me. I'm back on track and guess what! I reached my goal today! Actually a little under my goal,so think I have corrected my binges. Have also made myself walk a lot. Do you use a pedometer? Think I will get a good one to keep track like you do. 10,000 steps a day is also what I am going to strive for. Thanks again for the encouragement and inspiration.:happy:
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    It's funny how one tiny thing, like a song, can change your whole course. As I mentioned, I've been in a depression like I haven't experienced in years. One day last week, I was on my way home from work and "The Anthem" by Good Charlotte came on the radio. I loved them back in my pop-punk days... I always found most of their music so fun and positive. Anyway, after that, I happened to have the CD in my car and popped it in the CD player. I got home in a better mood than I've been in a few weeks. I've been listening to that whenever I'm in the car since then.

And since then, my need for junk food has waned, my motivation to exercise is slowly coming back, and I got back down to 154. I have ways to go before I get out of the pit I'm in, but the past few days has been encouraging. Maybe I should write them a thank you note, lol

I hope things are going well for you all and I hope the good things in your lives continue!
  • susanjean62
    Options
    I was happy to hear your depression was lifting.I like the "positive" triggers that help us instead of setting us back. Music is a great motivator and always lifts my spirits! Thanks for sharing. Have a great week! :smile:
  • Aboele79
    Aboele79 Posts: 40
    Options
    sounds like we are all having our struggles .its tough being sick and trying to keep momentum going i know how that can go and as for depression i can def understand that as i suffer from it as well . good on both of you Susan and book worm for standing your ground and keeping it up!! :3 . its winter here and heading into spring winter is my fave time of year but its a struggle to get out of bed and exercise in the cold lol. i am not a huge fan of hot weather i dont cope well in the heat and we get well into the mid 40s here ( between 104- 114 ) and that can suck big time. My main aim is to try and be consistent with training and eating and that can be hard in winter as we tend to eat to keep warm etc . but i am plodding along slow and steady:D
  • susanjean62
    Options
    Last winter I was in a terrible funk. I don't do well in the cold and much prefer hot weather. It is going into fall in Iowa and we get nasty winters. I am seriously thinking of moving to Florida. I love the ocean and warm seasons. My main exercise is walking and we have no indoor tracks. Will have to think of a new strategy to keep me on point. Where does everyone live? Intersesting that we all come from different countries and states!:smile: