Brain hurts, juicers!

Options
I am thinking about juicing however i am on overload concerning money, produce, centrifical versus cold, viability of nutrients, and just how the hell am i supposed to juice a cheeseburger!

Replies

• Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Hey don't stress, start small!

I got a Jack Lalanne juice for like $90 bucks at Costco and it works great. I didn't have to make a $500 investment and I used it for at least 6 months on a daily basis before ever even considering a juice fast. Sure, it might not be the best way to extract the most nutrients but in my opinion it's better than not juicing!

I try to juice all organic produce but I can't always afford that so juicing non-organic is better than not juicing at all, again in my opinion.

As far as the cheeseburger goes you'll just have to eat it whole and wash it down with dome yummy green juice :drinker:
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I felt the same way. A few months ago I found a really good deal on an Omega Vert juicer at Kohl's, and combined with one of those discounts they give you if you use your charge card it was a STEAL (about half of what it is on Amazon)! So keep your eyes open for a bargain, you never know when you'll come across one. Anyway I'm very happy with it. I think it does a nice job with leafy greens, and wheatgrass, as well as other stuff like carrots, beets, and apples. The downside with the Vert is that you do have to chop things pretty small before you juice them.

I second the advice on starting small as you will learn what you like to juice, how much time it takes, and all of that. And some juicing is better than no juicing!
  • florence1884
    florence1884 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. After a lot of deliberation I opted for a Nutribullet because you get to consume everything and there's no pulp. Also, it is very, very easy to clean. I am now on day one and so far so good. It liquidises everything down pretty well, although it is a little bit bitty, but that may be my fault because I'm not zapping it long enough. As for cost, you can benefit by using fruit and veg that are in season, it doesn't have to be fancy stuff.

Good luck, I hope you find what you are looking for.
  • JPriceGA
    JPriceGA Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I started using a Black & Decker juicer from Walmart. It works, but not as efficient on leafy greens and you can forget wheat grass - it just spins right back out.

A friend gave me a 25 year old Champion juicer she wasn't using, so you never know, you might get one free! I passed on my black and decker juicer to my sister.

I also downloaded this use these recipies http://www.rebootwithjoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/3-Day-Plan-Updated.pdf

When I make something up, it tastes like dirt. These are pretty good. I figure anything better than "blech!" is really good for a veggie juice :-)

I made every single juice at least once just to learn how to make them. Working with beets without getting covered in beet juice was a challenge at first.

Then I just juiced off and on for a while. By the time I decided to do an acutal reboot, I already had a shopping list (in the pdf), new where to find everything and what it costs, and how to make enough juice for 3 days. That was it.

Once you get familiar with the fruits/veggies you use, shop at different places for them. For example, blueberries cost about 5 dollars for two pints at Costco, and right now they are 4 dollars for a half-pint at my closest grocery store. BIG difference!

Same with some greens - some "bunches" can cost a dollar more at one type of store than another.

My local farmer's market is more expensive, but everything is fresh and organic. I balanced what I could afford, what I was willing to drive out of my way to save, etc.

You can do this!