Unspoken Rules Of Running

Options
ZenInTexas
ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
I was thinking about this the other morning when I was running and yet another duo of old women wouldn't move over and share the sidewalk. What would you add to the list?
http://www.hmcpresscenter.com/featured/the-unspoken-rules-of-running/

Replies

• degan2011
    degan2011 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    that is the biggest one... many trails have lines now, and people with their dogs or strollers will take up both sides.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this the other morning when I was running and yet another duo of old women wouldn't move over and share the sidewalk.

I found that some of the older walkers don't hear so well and you have announce yourself very loudly. I scared some old lady the other day when I came up behind her and said "On your left". I thought she was going to have a heart attack. :frown:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this the other morning when I was running and yet another duo of old women wouldn't move over and share the sidewalk.

I found that some of the older walkers don't hear so well and you have announce yourself very loudly. I scared some old lady the other day when I came up behind her and said "On your left". I thought she was going to have a heart attack. :frown:

Not just the older ones........ I came up behind a younger walker the other day who was so engrossed in her smartphone (texting or whatever) I thought she was going to crap herself when I said "on your left"! :laugh: :laugh:
  • ZenInTexas
    Options
    I almost got run over the other day by a girl on a bicycle, on the sidewalk, listening to headphones and texting!! No joke, I had to yell at her to get her attention.
  • WebbyShoo
    WebbyShoo Posts: 115
    Options
    I wish our trails had that sign up! Luckily I run on some pretty quiet roads/trails as of late and don't have to deal with much of it. I stopped running with headphones because I just find it safer to do so, that should maybe be a rule on certain trails as well depending on the terrain.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Be careful where you spit/blow snot rockets - at least do a courteous 6-o-clock check. Same with farting.

The fast looking people are probably slow, and the slow looking people are probably fast

Don't be running with jingly crap in your pockets - it's annoying

Don't lie about PRs (looking at you, Paul Ryan)

Leave the perfume/cologne at home
  • barrpc
    barrpc Posts: 96
    Options
    2 of my pet peeves are runners with headphones blasting loud and oblivious to their surroundings. The other is the groups or even just 2 people hogging the whole trail.

To the guy with music blairing in his ears so loud he cant hear anything else and runs in the middle of a 5 foot wide trail, i say this is not your private trail where your pace is the perfect pace for everyone. Stay right at least!
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Be careful where you spit/blow snot rockets - at least do a courteous 6-o-clock check. Same with farting.

Ha!! QFT!
  • ShellyBrowne
    ShellyBrowne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I run early ams before the sun comes up but it's along a trail that backs up to a main road so there's usually some kind of ambient light from streetlights or businesses or sum such. It NEVER fails that a bicyclist heading towards me will have those flashing headlights and/or a headlamp with what feels like 150 lumen right in my retinas.

Walkers not moving over when someone is coming either up or back.
  • ShellyBrowne
    ShellyBrowne Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    To the guy with music blairing in his ears so loud he cant hear anything else and runs in the middle of a 5 foot wide trail, i say this is not your private trail where your pace is the perfect pace for everyone. Stay right at least!
    [/quote]

This past weekend, as I'm doing hills some guy on a bicycle passes me on the uphill so he can get to the top to find a signal for his phone. That wasn't the bad part - he stopped at the top of the hill right in my path so I literally had to run around him while he's trying to find a signal. I had to do that not once but twice :mad:
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I always like when I yell "On your left" and they then move to their left and then get defensive when I correct them.
  • ZenInTexas
    Options

This gave me some serious lol's.
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Leave the perfume/cologne at home

There is a house near the trail I run that has to use a entire box of fabric softeners in the drier when they do laundry. On more than on occasion, I have run by and the smell downy is SO strong it gags me. It is unbelievable!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options

Ditto!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options

That reminds me of a trail race I ran last weekend. There was a guy not far in front of me and he came up behind a woman running on the left wearing headphones. (There was plenty of room to pass on the right if we wanted) He politely said "On your left!" but nothing happened. Then a little louder "On Your Left!" Nothing. Almost screaming now "ON YOUR LEFT!!!!" Nothing. Finally "OOOOON YOOOOUUUR LEEEEEFT!!!!!!!!!!!" at the top of his lungs and just a couple of inches behind her head. She jumped a little and moved to the right. I laughed about that the rest of the race.
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    How about if you're driving don't honk at a runner. Not only is it gross and sketchy, but it scares the crap out of me and I end up sprawled out on the road. Ugh.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

Bwhahahaha! These two slayed me. Seriously.

I wish people would be a little more friendly when running - sometimes I'll pass someone who makes a point of not acknowledging me at all... like a foot or less away! I try to wave, say hi, good morning, good afternoon, give a little wave if I'm just DYING... but I guess that's pretty minor in comparison to some of the other more serious infractions listed here.
  • kijoneko
    kijoneko Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    How about if you're driving don't honk at a runner. Not only is it gross and sketchy, but it scares the crap out of me and I end up sprawled out on the road. Ugh.

Definitely this!
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    For me, its those walkers chatting and blocking the path. So annoying its hard enough already to run without having to negotiate that too.