MFP settings

Options
PloddingTurtle
PloddingTurtle Posts: 283 Member
edited June 2018 in Social Groups
I just revisited my goals. It hadn't occurred to me that losing weight meant I also needed to occasionally update my settings in order to keep on losing at the same rate. I saw it mentioned on one of the threads and just did mine. My daily number dropped by 60 calories.

How often do you all revisit your goals and adjust your settings? Is every 25 lbs a good idea?

Replies

• tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i have done mine 2 times because I started out at 2500 calories a day then I went to 2200 , now I am doing 2000 , also I did keto for a week ,so I fixed my fat and carb and fiber to reflect that , but changed it back . I can do low carb , keto is hard . I still only eat 15 or less carbs a day , and try to eat extra good fats like coconut oil and olive oil.

BUT now I am just going to stay right here at 2000 calories doing low carb , I have lost 37 but I need to lose 200 so I am just riding the wave now at this setting! LOL
  • PloddingTurtle
    Options
    @tammyfranks2, I didn't think of making adjustments to accommodate short-term diet trials. That's interesting, and I'll keep it in mind.
  • bigghunny
    bigghunny Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    @PloddingTurtle hi just to chime in on your discussion. The recommended time to reevaluate your settings is every 10 to 15lbs as it is a small adjustment to your calories. So your body doesn't say holy Crap why are you starving me now..lol Like Tammy said you can adjust your micros as needed for specific diets or health needs ex. Lower fat if tryglicerid (not sure if I spelled that right) are high. Diabetics need low carb keto needs high fat ect. As long as the macros add up to 100 percent. I started at 377 lbs with calorie goal 2180 I lost 50lbs and now calorie goal is 1680 according to MFP
  • PloddingTurtle
    Options
    I changed out the sodium calculator for fibre instead. I can't really do much about the sodium. It's either naturally occuring in my simple basic meals of the day, or it goes way over because I'm eating prepared or restaurant foods. Hitting my daily recommended grams of fibre seems a more useful focus than counting sodium.
  • bigghunny
    bigghunny Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    As long as you drink enough water during the day you should be ok
  • stormtheworld
    stormtheworld Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I find I recalculate every 10 lbs just to minimize the feeling of deprivation (OMG where did all of my calories go?). Right now I lose about 60 calories every time, but because it is gradual, after losing 100 lbs, it is less of a shock being only about 1640 calories a day since, as I have lost, my food has only decreased in slight increments. And by Recalculating regularly you maintain the deficit that MFP has set for you, otherwise you may find you plateau because you inadvertently start eating near your maintenance. I had that issue last year around the 340lb mark, since starting the recalculating at specified intervals I am feeling more positive and less discouraged as it is a slow and steady progress.
  • PloddingTurtle
    Options
    Good info, @stormtheworld. Thanks.