Spartan? me? Unpossible....

Options
sparky00721
sparky00721 Posts: 113 Member
I have committed to participating in my first Spartan sprint in June 2014, approximately 10 months away.

This may sound like a lot of time to prepare, but frankly it has taken me a number of decades to get into my current shape (round, soft and pudgy), and given how overweight and VERY seriously deconditioned I am currently, 10 months seems a frighteningly short amount of time.

I have some friends who have participated in Spartans (sprint and a pending Beast) as well as tough mudders, but it is too ludicrous for me to mention to them that I am thinking of something so hairbrained and unlikely as trying to get myself in shape for this for next year.

So I have not told them, and am instead mentioning it here. So that next June, I can look back at this entry and say to myself (from the comfort of a sofa, with a big bowl of ice cream balanced precariously on my protruding belly): "What was I thinking, I must have been drunk or insane".

Or possibly, instead, I will staple this post to my newly-chiseled bicep so that it flutters in the wind as I fly over the Spartan obstacle course, laughing at how tentative and timid I was back in August 2013.

I'll check back from time to time. If anyone else is in similar circumstances, I would be pleased to have some company along this highly improbable weight loss and conditioning path.

Replies

• Ichigo2012
    Ichigo2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Have you already registered? I always register for events way in advance so that my money is already spent, then I feel more obligation and incentive to actually go through with my plans. A Warrior Dash would have been an easier entry level run, but I'm sure you can do it. Even considering it is an accomplishment over the people that are defeated before they even try.
  • sparky00721
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement Ichigo2012!

Excellent advice about early registration. It does not look like they have opened up registration for any Spartan events for 2014 in my area yet (Vancouver, BC). It is a bit of an act of faith on my part that they will be repeating a Spartan sprint in 2014 - Vancouver ran one in June 2013 and I heard it was successful, so fingers crossed that it runs again. I think I will register as soon as registration opens, for the reason you suggest. The Super and Beast events are being held in September a few hours away from Vancouver.

I was not previously familiar with the Warrior Dash but it definitely looks interesting. Unfortunately, from a quick look just now, it does not appear they will be running any events up in my area, though there will be one in Washington state not a huge distance away.

I have been dieting for two weeks now (down 7 pounds) and this week began exercising (very modestly) and SWEARING (loudly, during my one push-up). Long way to go but I am feeling pretty committed.
  • Ichigo2012
    Ichigo2012 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    The best thing to do is to make a habit of fitness. Set aside time just for that and make it a priority and don't allow yourself excuses for missing. Just start with 3 days a week if you don't already have a schedule. I used to think I had to try to fit my workouts around everyone else's schedule but eventually decided that it's right and fair for me to have an hour on a regular schedule for my own health. People that care about you will respect that.

Keep an eye out though for similar events in your area, there are a ton of smaller organizations getting on the mud-run bandwagon.
  • sparky00721
    Options
    The best thing to do is to make a habit of fitness. Set aside time just for that and make it a priority and don't allow yourself excuses for missing.

Excellent advice, thanks. My best chance of this working for me is waking up early and exercising before work - less chance of anything else getting in the way that early. The toughest part so far as been trying to go to bed a bit earlier to account for the earlier start!
  • nhradeuce
    nhradeuce Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You will not regret it. Actually, you might. Only because obstacle racing is highly addicting. By the end of the year I will have run 6-8 this year. Definitely sign up as soon as registration opens. You get better pricing. you get a better at getting the heat you want, and your obligated to do it if you pay up. When your race opens up, use this link to get an additional 15% discount off your registration - http://share.spartanrace.com/x/GjEP5F
  • sparky00721
    Options
    That's awesome, thanks nhradeuce!

I don't mind risking a possible addiction....