Food replacement help

Options
macybean
macybean Posts: 258 Member
Hello!

I have been on MFP for years and have reduced my gluten intake due to GI issues, so have some experience in this area. However, my husband was just diagnosed with Celiac Disease and is wavering between denial and grief! He has yet to even think about cutting out gluten as he cannot fathom life without it.

So...I am able to make lots of great things to eat but cannot find anything that is similar to white bread or flour tortillas (which is what he wants to eat, of course). He loves the pillowy, doughy softness of flour products. Has anyone found something that is a good replacement? My guess is going to be no, but on the off chance someone has some good recommendations I would be grateful!

I know he needs to be an adult and cope with what he's been dealt, but if I can make that transition easier I would. I feel as if I could get him to commit to a gluten free diet for long enough he would feel so much better (and I might see the man that I married again).

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• chunkytfg
    chunkytfg Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    All GF bread is pretty bad in comparison to normal bread however the Warburtons stuff is about the best we've found in sliced form and Tesco's do some fresh unsliced bread which is also pretty good.

You will find it disintegrates if you so much as look at it the wrong way so it takes time to learn to work with. We've found toasting it seems to help make it as normal as possible.
  • macybean
    Options
    No Tesco's near me, but sounds about right for GF bread. I was hoping it had gotten better in the several years since I tried to find one I liked!
  • chunkytfg
    Options
    I'm not GF/DF like the Girlfriend but when it's toasted I don't actually mind it. Admittedly we rarely have bread in the house but when we do I have no problem eating it. Waitrose also do the Fresh breads I believe too.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Udi's is fairly decent but only if toasted - if you are in Canada, Little Northern Bakehouse makes awesome Millet Chia loaves. I only ever liked grainy bread, dry toasted, even before I knew about my Celiac Disease so I'm not much help if someone wants white doughy 'Wonderbread.'

I don't think there's any replacement for flour tortillas, make the move to proper fresh corn tortillas like in Mexico, and you'll never go back.

If I were you, I'd give him a slap (sort of kidding, but not really). If it were a nut allergy would he have a hissy fit and decide he can't live without peanuts? (or whatever, lol, I have no patience for that) Try switching to more Asian food like Thai, Japanese (careful about some of the noodles, and stick to tamari or coconut aminos/Bragg aminos).

Try to get him to focus on yummy food that he CAN eat like steak & potatoes or ham & cheese omelette or beef & broccoli on jasmine rice or BBQ'd salmon with veggie skewers, etc. Investigate other ethnic foods: Jamaican/Caribbean 'peas & rice', Indian curries with chickpea parathas instead of roti/chappati, South Pacific cuisine with plantains and fresh fish, etc. Don't forget hearty salads like Greek, Chef's, Rustic Italian (mozza/fresh tomato/basil), taco salad with GF corn tortilla chips.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Sorry OP, my comment sounded like a rant. I'm sure you already make delicious meals that are GF. I just get mad at people who choose bread over health (same as people who choose cigarettes over health, or crack over health, or....). "Really, how much are his health (life, even) family & friends worth to him; less than bread?"

Oops, ranting again, :/
  • chunkytfg
    Options
    See I totally get the bread thing! part of the reason i've needed MFP in the first places is bakery soft white rolls, butter, sliced ham and Cheese! Nothing better than Ham and cheese made in fresh white rolls!
  • macybean
    Options
    @canadjineh No worries! I've been on a bit of a rant myself, I would think he would be happy to just know that he can feel better.

And, yes, he wants squishy, soft white bread, but he does seem to be coming around a little. A step at a time I guess.

I didn't think of making corn tortillas, I'll have to try that. I'm guessing fresh, homemade corn tortillas are really good! I used to make my own flour tortillas and they were nothing like what you got from the store.
  • canadjineh
    edited June 2018
    Options
    @macybean - here ya go - safe GF masa harina and water (salt too for low carbers especially) - the tortilla press is pretty important for ease, but if you are a whiz with the rolling pin - not necessary. https://thekitchn.com/how-to-make-corn-tortillas-from-scratch-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-85904

My husband used to make whole wheat roti from scratch (while I made the rest of the Indian dinners) before we realized my Celiac disease - I do miss those - no sub unfortunately.

Edit to note - if you travel to Mexico - be certain that the masa at whatever restaurant you eat at has NO added flour - some restaurants make theirs 'fluffier/lighter' with a bit of added flour (especially if they are popular with tourists.) If they do this - you also need to be certain that there is a clean griddle and press for the pure masa.
  • Farmin_Carmen
    Farmin_Carmen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The 'LiveGfree' brand white bread from Aldi is the best we've found for a bought bread. Their spinach wraps are also a pretty good replacement for tortillas.
  • jalberhasky
    jalberhasky Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy anything made by Scharr. A little pricey but a good substitute. It difficult because GF is generally high in calorie. I have not found a good GF tortilla but Udi's might be the best I've found.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Yeah, I don't eat a whole lot of bread/rolls/wraps because I'm low carb anyhow, the carbs and calories are always sky high in commercial GF products. Once in a while I go for a slice toasted.
    How's it goin', @macybean?
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    I think Scherr Artisan Bread is probably the best but not similar at all to regular bread. Sorry, just no good replacement for bread.

I'm a guy who was diagnosed with Celiac at the age of 38 and was the type that loved pasta and two sandwiches a day. I think the bottom line is I just felt so horrible I didn't care if I had to stop eating gluten food if it made me feel better. It was that simple for me. I knew I was only going to get worse if I keep eating it, that was my motivation. Also, my GI basically said "Do you want to get cancer?" stating that I'm at a much higher risk of lymphomas if I continue to eat gluten. That was enough for me.

I just started focusing on gluten free foods that tasted good rather than gluten foods I couldn't eat.

I don't recommend people eat too many foods that are not normally gluten free because they are very low in nutritional value. However, some types that are generally good:

Pizza
    Pasta (Barilla GF noodles are very good)

Most other foods made to be GF aren't very good.

Best way to eat GF in the beginning is eat whole foods. Pick a meat, veggie and a carb (rice, potato..ect), make them however you want and spice them however you want but don't add anything other than herbs and spices or sauces that are specifically labeled GF.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Aldi has the best GF tortillas and bread.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Lately I've been eating the carbwise buns from UnBun and another brand I can't remember that is similar. Quite pricey, 4 burger size buns for $10. But if I am craving a real burger and not a lettuce wrap, or want a real toasted tunafish with lime pickle, I can have my sandwich and eat it too. I only have 1 or 2 a week so no big deal.
  • judyrae777
    judyrae777 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the ideas! I'm def going to check out Aldi's.. Love the burger with a lettuce wrap! Scharr has been a good brand for substitutes. Best pasta ever is ***Tinkyada Brown Rice Spirals. I can take or serve using these rice noodles, and everyone raves. Then I tell them it's gluten free. haha. I HEAVILY salt the water, and against all pasta rules, I rinse the noodles briefly in a collindar when cooked just right. Seriously, even my husband loves this pasta. Another go-to, is ***Mission brand Gluten Free Tortillas. They are a little different texture (like stick to the roof of your mouth), but not rubbery, and the taste is good right out of the package. So I use these often. Thanks gals! Please befriend! I'm always looking for ways we can encourage each other.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    For pastas, I really love Explore Asian bean pastas, they are organic, GF, low carb, with good texture and are high in protein too (30-36g per serving depending on the kind of bean they are made from.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Trying out a new kind of Keto GF bread called Carbonaut. It only has 1g carb and isn't really that high in fat because it's made with resistant starch. Quite yummy when toasted, a bit more chewy/doughy if eaten untoasted, covered with lots of seeds like sunflower and poppyseed. Costs about $10 a loaf though, but at least it's a normal sized loaf, not a tiny one like so many GF breads are.
  • beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Corn tortillas and/or gluten free tortillas are a good substitute. Dr Wahl says about 40 percent of so called gluten free products still have gluten in them. I react to gluten free products all the time. I should journal the brands that give me a reaction.
  • beccaboo1276414
    beccaboo1276414 Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Aldi's has LiveGFree
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Corn tortillas and/or gluten free tortillas are a good substitute. Dr Wahl says about 40 percent of so called gluten free products still have gluten in them. I react to gluten free products all the time. I should journal the brands that give me a reaction.

You might also have reactions to the gums used to hold GF foods together like xanthan, etc. Might be worth checking on.... Also those with celicac disease are more likely to have digestive reactions to dairy products. Something to keep in mind. In the US and Canada, if something is labelled GF it must have been tested for gluten levels and confirmed under limits. Other countries, maybe this isn't the case??