When you have a problem, go to your Sensei!

Options
LuizH
LuizH Posts: 211 Member
Until this week I was training in two arts - in karate I have been in the same dojo for 4 years, and this time last year I joined a second dojo to train in kobudo. My kobudo sensei (D) has a new young family and over the last few months has found it hard to join us for classes, after he couldn't make it for the 7th week in a row last week his members are all feeling let down and he announced on Wednesday that he is closing the club immediately and relocating closer to his home town. I was unhappy, my 14 year old son was gutted!

On Thursday morning my friend (who also trains in both) contacted our karate sensei (M) because she was really unhappy and it's really hard around here to find a class teaching weapons. Sensei M is such an awesome man, when we turned up to karate last night feeling pretty deflated he gave us the contact details of an old sensei of his who also teaches kobudo, he had already called this 'new' sensei and explained about our old class and how abruptly it all ended and arranged for us to meet with him to discuss setting up a new club, all within 24 hours of our old club closing! Sensei M doesn't train with us at kobudo, he did all this because he doesn't like to see his students upset.

I just wanted to share because martial arts is about more than just training together, my sensei is more than just my teacher. My dojo is my other family and My Sensei is the centre of that

Replies

• Arianera
    Arianera Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    It's always heartbreaking when a dojo closes down.

Hope the new teacher works out.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Classy move on his part for sure!
  • LuizH
    LuizH Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    One week on from our old Kobudo sensei ditching us, we met with Hanshi J last night thanks to lots of work on the part of our karate sensei. We're running a trial class next week and if all goes well we will be setting up a new kobudo club with around half of the original dojo members.

My son is over the moon that we will be able to keep up our training, and double pleased to say that his new sensei is 10th Dan