Symptoms

Options
happyhiggins
happyhiggins Posts: 42 Member
edited June 2018 in Social Groups
Other than weight being my main culprit of PCOS, what other things tend to bother you?

For me, it's my skin. I say all the time that I wish I could get a skin transplant. I hate having such sensitive skin & then to top it off my hormone issues don't make it easier thanks to the lovely & dearest PCOS.

I also have issues with my period. As of right now, I haven't had one since March. Hoping that will change now that I'm back on meds.

Anyone have a lot of anxiety? I sure do! Most days, I feel it & then some days I feel like I've had enough. PCOS + The Stresses of Everyday Life = A very irritable woman sometimes.

Feel free to express your symptom struggles.

Replies

• facelegtoe
    facelegtoe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have anxiety, and especially before my period. Mine is late too. The longest I went without one was around 19 months :open_mouth: ! Thankfully this one is only 18 days late.

My worst symptom has to be the hair thinning :cry: And the excess hair growth. And the blood sugar and insulin issues. It all sucks!

I've never tried meds though. Do they help you?
  • happyhiggins
    Options
    Meds do help. I was diagnosed in 2015 with PCOS after not having a period for 18 months. Labs & imaging confirmed. I was put on Metformin & it really did help. I lost 48lbs, my periods came back regularly every month & my skin was tremendously better. I stopped taking my meds for a year & unfortunately put all the weight back on. So, here I am starting over & trying to find support & motivation with others.

I feel like my hair is thinning out too. IR is tricky but it can be managed. My insulin use to be high & now it's normal. It's scary when you're on the verge of having diabetes. That's why we all can work together through this.
  • lattyse
    lattyse Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Uhhhh. The facial hair.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Yes, hate the facial hair!!! I also have periods of bad acne on my face, not too bad at the moment.
    My periods have always been irregular, and on occasion I get bad cramping. My periods used to be few and far between, and would last for any length of time, there was no rhyme or reason. But then about a year ago I started bleeding, had 5 months in a row, yup bled every one of those 5 months before it stopped (tried meds but didn’t work). I then got about a 4 month break, then 6 months in a row of continuous bleeding (including hospital admissions when it got too heavy) and finally some stronger meds that worked, which I am still taking.
    Also, infertility is a huge issue- have one child, lost one, been trying for 4 years.

The bleeding and the infertility are the main reasons why I’m trying so hard to lose weight. Hoping weight loss will help with both.
  • happyhiggins
    Options
    The facial hair really sucks. I honestly don't think I have ever mentioned that part to my husband. I've just been keeping that one to myself. I feel embarassed about it.
  • happyhiggins
    Options
    Oh wow! I'm so sorry you have to go through that. Infertility is just heartbreaking & coping with miscarriage. I lost my first two pregnancies. I lost twin boys the first time & then another boy. My husband said third time would be a charm & it was. We now have 2 children. A daughter & son. I had high risk pregnancies with both. I truly wish you the very best trying to conceive.

I can't imagine having a period for that long. I'm the opposite, my periods just disappear. The longest I have ever gone without one was 18 months. Right now, I haven't had one since March but I'm hoping my meds will change that soon.
  • samantharosebouwman20
    Options
    Where do I even begin lol
    The weight gain is my number one thing. The weight gain caused by PCOS actually caused me to develop type 2 diabetes, despite my lifestyle being moderately healthy.

I suppose that, aside from the weight gain and diabetes, I have other symptoms that piss me off.
    I have a chronic fatigue disorder that is made worse by PCOS and diabetes. Some days it feels impossible to get out of bed because I'm so exhausted.
    Also, hair thinning. I have nightmares about going bald before my wedding day.
    I've also suffered a generalized anxiety disorder for about a decade, and the last few years have been particularly tough.

Tbh I'm terrified of having problems with conceiving. This past March I had a miscarriage (Thankfully it was so early that I didn't know that I was pregnant at the time, otherwise I don't think I could have emotionally handled it like I have). Immediately following my miscarriage, my doctor ran tests and determined that I had both PCOS, a severe iron defficiency, and Type 2 Diabetes. In a way, my miscarriage saved my life, because if I hadn't had it, I may not have had the tests I needed to start being treated for my diabetes. But since the miscarriage, I have just felt this overwhelming sense of fear and dread whenever I think about trying to have a baby (which is something my fiance are hoping to do at some point in the next three years).
  • happyhiggins
    Options
    I understand how you feel. It's scary not knowing what may happen once you do conceive. I was very excited but terrified at the same time. People kept telling me once you pass the first trimester then you are in the clear with miscarriages but that wasn't the case for me. I lost twin boys at 16 weeks & my second pregnancy at 14 weeks. I was too nervous to tell anyone I was pregnant because I was terrified of losing another child. Just try to stay positive. I know how hard it is.
  • skigal303
    skigal303 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Ugh. Weight gain for sure. I'm at my heaviest right now and I got diagnosed about 2 months ago. Metoformin has stopped the gaining, but I'm still struggling with losing. I met with a dietitian who put me on a diabetic diet and I'm working to stick to about 120 carbs/day (not unreasonable, but hard to break habits!!) I also have some hair on my face although I'm super thankful it's at least blonde. And the acne, it's the worst.
  • billingskatelynn08
    Options
    Hello everyone! I'm about 28 lbs down from my heaviest (3 years ago), but still a long way to go (still obese). I've struggled with my weight my entire life, and have also had irregular periods since they started. I began a regular running routine and regulated my period, only to injury my back and knee. I gained a mess of weight, so now I'm in the process of shedding that and trying to re-regulate my periods. I've been married and off birth control for 2 years now, so I'm trying to get as healthy as possible before I go see a doctor.
  • happyhiggins
    Options
    I will be honest. I'm struggling myself. I need to resort my focus on myself.