How long to start losing weight?

Options
NicksWTB
NicksWTB Posts: 54 Member
Hi everyone

I'm into my 4th week on MFP and I've religiously logged everything I've eaten and what exercise I've done. My diary is open anyone wants a look (any feedback is gratefully received).

In my first week I lost 5lbs which I was really pleased with, however, since then, I've stayed the same. I currently weigh 12 stone 5. I would like to lose a stone and half by the end of November as I'm getting married but I don't seem to have any movement at all.

I understand that as I'm doing much more exercise, the fat may be turning to muscle as I can see a difference in my legs for sure. I'm not going to give up and go back to my previous bad habits of stuffing my face with rubbish, but I just wondered if anyone else had been through similar and if so, how long before I see a difference in the scales.

Since last week, I've not got on the scales and am determined not to for a few weeks as it makes me feel annoyed that nothing is changing. I took my measurements this week, so will look at them again in a month to see if anything has changed.

thanks everyone!!!

Replies

• plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hey! This is my 2p's worth:

Operate at a significant (but sensible) calorie deficit and you will lose weight - it really is a matter of calories in vs calories out. Make sure you log your food accurately - there is no point guessing weights and measurements as you will get it wrong and with high calorie food that can be significant. The lower your calorie goal the more this will have an impact. Read this thread which adds some flesh to this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think?hl=you+are+probably+eating+more+

Digital food scale?

Also, MFP tends to over-value exercise, especially the non-distance/non-speed measureable (cleaning, leisurely bike ride, gardening, etc). You can get a Heart Rate monitor to get a better picture of what you actually burn during exercise. You can use apps to track your actual pace during runs rather than guessing.

The more tools you can use to keep things accurate, the better your results will be.

Sounds like you have the regimen and determination to stick to what you want to achieve. Best of luck with your goals :)
  • NicksWTB
    Options
    thanks, I'll have a read of the link you posted.

I use an app called cardio trainer when I'm running and it seems to be quite consistent as it works on GPS signal and works out how the speed you run and how many calories you burn. I may invest in a heart rate monitor as I think that will help me too.

And yes, a digital food scale deffo needs to be invested in, My current ones are rubbish!!!

I am very honest in my diary, and I log everything I eat.

Thanks for your 2p's worth, it's very useful!!! :-)
  • ms_leanne
    ms_leanne Posts: 523
    Options
    I currently weigh 11.5 stone and was over 13.5 when I started. I was trying to see what your base calories were before exercise. MFP currently puts me on 1300 which is a bit low so I am consuming 1458 on non exercise days (using Fat2Fit to calculate) and then adding exercise cals on top.

Are you using MFP's base calories or are you using an external site to calculate your base? If you are using figures from Scoobys Workshop or Fat2Fit in the traditional sense those figures will already include your exercise calories and therefore you could be consuming too much if you're eating back exercise cals on top.

I look forward to your feedback.
  • NicksWTB
    Options
    I currently weigh 11.5 stone and was over 13.5 when I started. I was trying to see what your base calories were before exercise. MFP currently puts me on 1300 which is a bit low so I am consuming 1458 on non exercise days (using Fat2Fit to calculate) and then adding exercise cals on top.

Are you using MFP's base calories or are you using an external site to calculate your base? If you are using figures from Scoobys Workshop or Fat2Fit in the traditional sense those figures will already include your exercise calories and therefore you could be consuming too much if you're eating back exercise cals on top.

I look forward to your feedback.

thanks for this. I've not heard of fat2fit, so I've had a look and entered my details. It comes out at 2329 calories. If I eat all of these calories every day, will I maintain my current weight? I might sound a bit thick as I've not quite got the hang of this, but will I need to reduce this amount - it seems ever such a lot. Can you point me in the right direction please?

thank you!
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    You could try entering your details here: http://caloriecount.about.com/tools/calories-goal and see what they say.

I just took a look at your food diary and noticed (if you're logging everything), your food intake varies significantly. One day it was only 643, another it was 1,600. I would say find an intake you're comfortable with (between 1,200-1,400), exercise (don't eat back your calories), and no matter what, be sure to hit that target. Even if you're not particularly hungry your body needs a certain amount of calories, and needs to know they're coming then it will 'release' the fat, so to speak.
  • NicksWTB
    Options
    You could try entering your details here: http://caloriecount.about.com/tools/calories-goal and see what they say.

I just took a look at your food diary and noticed (if you're logging everything), your food intake varies significantly. One day it was only 643, another it was 1,600. I would say find an intake you're comfortable with (between 1,200-1,400), exercise (don't eat back your calories), and no matter what, be sure to hit that target. Even if you're not particularly hungry your body needs a certain amount of calories, and needs to know they're coming then it will 'release' the fat, so to speak.

Brilliant - good answer! thanks very much. I'll adjust my calories to 1400 which is a much better number and don't eat back (which I don't tend to anyway) my exercise.

thanks very much :-)
  • brixtonbanner
    brixtonbanner Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I'm into my 4th week on MFP and I've religiously logged everything I've eaten and what exercise I've done.

In my first week I lost 5lbs which I was really pleased with, however, since then, I've stayed the same. I currently weigh 12 stone 5. I would like to lose a stone and half by the end of November as I'm getting married but I don't seem to have any movement at all.

a pound a week is , I believe , good going and you've lost five in four weeks so I suggest hang onto that happy thought.
    My weight went down a pound then back up FOR EVER then it went down a bit again. I would imagine yours will too. Another thought is what did you type in as your ideal weight loss when you set up MFP? a pound a week? Give it time and I am sure that over a longer period you will see a trend of the downward variety on your weight graph. You have almost 16 weeks before you pop that white dress on. at only a pound a week that's over a stone.
    Keep at it
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Don't mix up the two styles of calculating target calories.

If you are following the MFP (NEAT) method the weight loss deficit is worked out assuming you will eat back your exercise calories.
    If you are following the TDEE method then your exercise calories are already included (that's why the numbers come out so much higher).

Big deficits are unnecessary and also counter-productive.
    You don't want to feel horribly restricted and you don't want to lose muscle mass or you will be very disappointed with how you look when you get to target weight.
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    You're welcome. The link I posted takes into consideration your level of activity anyway, and gives you the calorie amount based upon that. Of course, if you were into body building, or had a very physical job you would of course need far greater calories.
    According to them 1,472cals a day would give you a loss per week of 1.5lbs, with Moderate activity.
    Moderate Acitivy is determined as:
    At work - you are very active much of the day
    At home - you rarely sit and do heavy housework or gardening
    Exercise - you exercise several times a week and push yourself pretty hard

Also: Try and drink more water. I tend to drink at least 2-2.5 litres per day. This is supposed to actually help prevent water retention.