Getting started

Options
annk18
annk18 Posts: 85 Member
I've had my instant pot for over a month now and have just been staring at it and collecting recipes. I haven't even done the water test yet. How do I overcome my fear and start working with it.? I really wanted this and need whatever help you can give me. thanks

Replies

• dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My parents and even grandparents did a sufficient job of scaring me about traditional pressure cookers that I was nervous at first too. I promise once you do a quick release just once you will jump but then you will be a professional. Watch this video it will prepare you and give you a good laugh. https://youtube.com/watch?v=Bl4msOJcanI
  • annk18
    Options
    Thank you, that was very cute. Adele that I will try the instant pot in the next 3 days. My only memory of a pressure cooker was in the parental home. I came home from school some 60+ years ago to find the kitchen covered in red borscht. I think I have been fighting that visual for several months now. Time to move on.
  • annk18
    Options
    Finally did it!!! Nothing blew up! (As a precaution I made neutral colors, just in case lol)
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Yay!! What did you make????
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!!! That is great! Neutral colors so funny :D
  • annk18
    Options
    I made a mock potato salad using turnips and hard boiled eggs. I made the hard boiled eggs and the turnips in the instant pot at the same time. Work nicely.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    What exactly are you scared of?

Here.... do this for your first recipe.

Add the wire basket and dump 1 cup of water.
    Place how ever many eggs you want into the pot on top of the basket and close the lid. Flip the switch on top to seal.
    Please High Pressure, set 3 minutes timer and walk away.
    After 3 minutes are up, the IP will beet that its done.
    Press cancel button and walk away. The pressure will drop naturally after few minutes and you will be able to open the lid.
    Come back to super easy peeling, hard boiled eggs.

Thank for so much for this easy... first recipe! I think I realized when I made the corn that I forgot to "seal" the top. The eggs are now cooling, so I am anxious to see how they turned out.
  • mytime6630
    mytime6630 Posts: 4,205 Member
    Options
    mytime6630 wrote: »
    What exactly are you scared of?

Here.... do this for your first recipe.

Add the wire basket and dump 1 cup of water.
    Place how ever many eggs you want into the pot on top of the basket and close the lid. Flip the switch on top to seal.
    Please High Pressure, set 3 minutes timer and walk away.
    After 3 minutes are up, the IP will beet that its done.
    Press cancel button and walk away. The pressure will drop naturally after few minutes and you will be able to open the lid.
    Come back to super easy peeling, hard boiled eggs.

Thank for so much for this easy... first recipe! I think I realized when I made the corn that I forgot to "seal" the top. The eggs are now cooling, so I am anxious to see how they turned out.

How did they turn out?
    And yea.... when you dont flip the switch it will not seal and water will boil out. Thats what happened.

They turned out perfect!!! Thank you so much! Now I am just watching YouTube videos to try and learn of more recipes to try! Last nite I made chicken.. but my husband did not like it (I used chili powder and oregano, per the recipe). But the chicken was so tender! I think I will love using this machine.