Debut MMA Fight

Options
Brabo_Grip
Brabo_Grip Posts: 285 Member
I won my debut (at age 43) MMA Fight Saturday Night. The first round was down right ugly. Tough as nails opponent who hit like a truck. After throwing some leg kicks and knees from the clinch I started feeling better towards the end of the first. In the second round my Coach got in my ear, told me to do what I do best. I immediately clinched, took him down, and used my Jiu Jitsu to lock in a choke that got the tap. One of the best experiences of my life.

Replies

• JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Congratulations is in order! How are you feeling after the fight?
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! great feat at any age!
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    JJordon wrote: »
    Congratulations is in order! How are you feeling after the fight?

Head hurts quite a bit. He landed some bombs - he was a much better striker, but I have been on Cloud 9. It's something else, I can't put into words. After the birth of my children it was one of the highlights of my life - more than any professional, educational, or financial victory. I learned a lot about myself.

• Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!

Grappling seems to be the real key to MMA, and sounds like you nailed it. Did you get it on video?
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    That's amazing!

Grappling seems to be the real key to MMA, and sounds like you nailed it. Did you get it on video?

And this is why I am glad BJJ immediately follows Karate at my dojang.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    WooHoo. Well done. Watching our guys, I know how tough the sport is and starting it later is impressive!
    I love how the good coaches can get into your head and really make a difference.
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    That's amazing!

Some family out of state ordered the PPV which we are still able to access. I am trying to find away to record it and transfer it over to a usable format. I have some video various friends took, but it is so far away it’s hard to see what is happening especially in the second round when I got the takedown.

• Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    One of our guys had his debut at a local promotion last night. His opponent weighed in 5kg above and they were going to just let him get away with it, but our coach said if he doesn't drop, he will pull our fighter. A number of really bad ref decisions on the night and I'm not sure we will have any guys fighting in that promotion anymore. It's one of two options in our province only so limits our options to pull out, but coach will not risk his fighters when the refs cannot be trusted to make the right call when it comes to safety!
  • Brabo_Grip
    Options
    Dory_42 wrote: »
    One of our guys had his debut at a local promotion last night. His opponent weighed in 5kg above and they were going to just let him get away with it, but our coach said if he doesn't drop, he will pull our fighter. A number of really bad ref decisions on the night and I'm not sure we will have any guys fighting in that promotion anymore. It's one of two options in our province only so limits our options to pull out, but coach will not risk his fighters when the refs cannot be trusted to make the right call when it comes to safety!

So unprofessional to come in over weight, and unfortunately a lot of promotions don’t care. They just want the ticket sales.