When July in bed all day because the heat won't go away... Go to the gym! [Workout Thread]

Options
krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
Please forgive me for 1. Not posting this one sooner and 2. The terrible title.

I have been sidelined by a minor concussion since Saturday night. Spent 3 hours and some change at the ER only to be told my symptoms were not serious enough to warrant a scan, was offered a doctor's note for a few days off work and declined, and then returned to my hell-hole of an apartment to try to sleep in the only-mildly cooled down only room in the apartment my 8000 BTU crap 3-in-1 AC unit would keep up with.

Sunday was basically a watch-netflix-on-my-phone fest because my laptop is too old to handle streaming (and hot), desktop is in the living room i can't keep cool, and I felt like crap, with a trip to subway on foot (would've been more of a hassle to get in the car) to grab food for both lunch and dinner. Bit of swimming in the apt. building's pool but it's quite shallow and small so not really exercise. Same yesterday, really. Tried to get a refund/exchange for crap AC unit but of course they sold out of it all so no dice. Went to the grocery store to grab something fresh for dinner, hit my head on the fridge trying to put away said foods. I thought I was going to gym it up a little bit this morning. Mostly a treadmill walk and some romwod in decent AC. But just driving to work made me all woozy-doozy. Every time I get up I get a bit dizzy. Heck, it's a bit hard to focus just writing this.

So I'm antsy because I can't workout, and frustrated because I keep hitting my head, and depressed and tired because I can't stand the heat and can't do anything but stay in my bedroom when I am home without turning into a big pile of wobbly sweat.

Also angry because I bought a kayak 3 weeks ago and still haven't had a chance to go try it out. Stuff keeps getting in the way! ARGH!

Hope ya'll are having a better time of this stupid summer than I am.

Replies

• annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    If you're dizzy, you need to go back to the doctor and demand a scan.....
  • krokador
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    If you're dizzy, you need to go back to the doctor and demand a scan.....

They sent me home with a nice lil pamphlet with the list of symptoms that warranted a scan. Mild dizziness was not one of them :/ I feel better today, though. Just need to not hit my noggin' again for a long, long while xD
  • mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    @krokador Not professing any medical knowledge here but speaking from personal experience, extreme heat can also increase the dizziness symptom sometimes. Take good care of yourself and if this continues consistently for a long time then may be you should go for a thorough check up.

• mustb60
    edited July 2018
    Options
    July Weightlifting
    Goal: 3 times/ week

4/7/18 Squat/bench lift/bent.row √

Set A
    Squat 5x5 27 kg 65 lbs
    Bench press 5x5 24.5 kg 59.5 lbs
    Barbell rows 5x10 30 kg 66 lbs

Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Cable row 10×3 15 kg
    Dumbbell side raise 10×3 5 kg
    Triceps extension 10×2 10 kg
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    @krokador I'm sorry about your head! Hope you feel better soon <3
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Little ‘win’ today. Still plodding with 5x5 and today big 25kg ohp 5x5 no problem. In fact did 6 reps on my last one then thought ‘could I hit 27.5kg?’ - and I did for 1 rep right at the end. Funny how strength suddenly comes. Had 10 day holiday with no weights just hiking up hills. Shows a rest is sometimes very much needed to blast through plateaus:)
  • krokador
    Options
    I went to the gym yesterday. Kind of. Walked for about 15 mins on the treadmill, more or less regularly grabing for the handles because I was a little wobbly. Did a 20 min ROMWOD on crappy wifi and my cell connection intermittently, tried the bike because I wanted a bit more cardio and that's the only machine where my head doesn't move a lot... but my hip wanted nothing to do with it so did another 4 minute on the treadmill. Pushed a bit too much. there's too much up and down walking on treadmill. My head stays more level on solid ground, but it's been too dang hot to walk outside :/
  • TheHobbit2017
    Options
    Current numbers for 5x5 for last workouts:

Squat 47.5kg 5x5
    OHP 27.5kg 4,5,4,4,3
    Deadlift 60kg 5x1
    Bench 37.5kg 5,5,5,4,4
    BO Row 35kg 5x5

Ohp suddenly on fire. Never imagined I’d hit 27.5kg for reps when previously the bar alluded me. I think accessory lifts are helping (dips, pull ups, push-ups etc)
  • mustb60
    Options
    Current numbers for 5x5 for last workouts:

Squat 47.5kg 5x5
    OHP 27.5kg 4,5,4,4,3
    Deadlift 60kg 5x1
    Bench 37.5kg 5,5,5,4,4
    BO Row 35kg 5x5

Ohp suddenly on fire. Never imagined I’d hit 27.5kg for reps when previously the bar alluded me. I think accessory lifts are helping (dips, pull ups, push-ups etc)

Wow!! Superb progress!! I feel fired up more now. :)
  • mustb60
    Options
    July Weightlifting
    Wk1: 2 ~Wk2: ~ Wk3: ~Wk4: ~

9/7/18 Squat/bench lift/bent.row

7/7/18 Squat/OP/Deadlift √

Squat 5x5 27 kg 65 lbs
    OP 5x5 22 kg 48.5 lbs
    Dead lift 5x2 42.5 kg 93.6 lbs
    Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Cable row 10×1 15 kg
    Dumbbell side raise 10×0 5 kg
    Triceps extension 10×0 10 kg

4/7/18 Squat/bench lift/bent.row √

Squat 5x5 27 kg 65 lbs
    Barbell rows 5x10 30 kg

Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Cable row 10×3 15 kg
  • mustb60
    Options
    Was feeling very tired after the lifting session. Noticed that all this three months gap had made my upper body strength bit weaker. Seems low protein diet and high cardio has cost me some muscles. Feeling very satisfied after restarting the heavy lifting. Now I know why Iron has magnetic pull!! ;) Building up again my strength!!
    Have a wonderful weekend everyone! :)
  • TheHobbit2017
    Options
    mustb60 wrote: »
    Was feeling very tired after the lifting session. Noticed that all this three months gap had made my upper body strength bit weaker. Seems low protein diet and high cardio has cost me some muscles. Feeling very satisfied after restarting the heavy lifting. Now I know why Iron has magnetic pull!! ;) Building up again my strength!!

Keep at it. Over the course of a year I did 5x5, then upper lower split then push pull legs. More than anything to keep myself interested. Back to 5x5 now and strength gains are there. I guess half the battle is keeping yourself from being bored on 5x5 when it comes to the 5 mins rest after failure. Have made sure protein stayed high no matter what i was doing exercise wise.
  • mustb60
    Options
    July Weightlifting
    Wk1: 2 ~Wk2: ~ Wk3: ~Wk4: ~

11/7/18 Squat/OP/Deadlift

9/7/18 Squat/bench lift/bent.row √
    Squat 5x5 27 kg 65 lbs
    Barbell rows 5x10 30 kg

Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Cable row 10×3 15 kg
  • mustb60
    Options
    mustb60 wrote: »

Keep at it. Over the course of a year I did 5x5, then upper lower split then push pull legs. More than anything to keep myself interested. Back to 5x5 now and strength gains are there. I guess half the battle is keeping yourself from being bored on 5x5 when it comes to the 5 mins rest after failure. Have made sure protein stayed high no matter what i was doing exercise wise.

Yeah it got monotonous and I had to rest due to shoulder injury. After recovery I just kept procrastinating and time flew away. Going to be more dedicated this time.
  • TheHobbit2017
    Options
    Latest numbers:

Squats 50kg 5x5
    Bench 37.5kg 5x5
    Inc bench dumbbells 16kg 8,6,4
    BO row 35kg 5x5
    Deadlift 65kg 5x1 (new personal best)
  • TheHobbit2017
    Options
    Latest numbers:

Squats 52.5kg 5,5,5,5,4 (niggle in thigh so wanna stay same weight for next time).
    OHP 27.5kg 4,4,4,5,3.
    Deadlift 65kg 5x1
    Bench 40kg 4,5,3,4,3
    Dumbbell row 16kg 5x5
  • mustb60
    Options
    July Weightlifting
    Wk1: 2 ~Wk2: 2 ~ Wk3: ~Wk4: ~

11/7/18 Squat/OP/Deadlift√
    Squat 5×5 27 kg 65 lbs
    OP 5×5 22 kg 48.5 lbs
    Dead lift 5×2 42.5 kg 93.6 lbs
    Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Cable row 10×3 15 kg
    Dumbbell side raise 10×1 5 kg
  • krokador
    Options
    Sorry for being MIA. Lots of stuff going on, and my training hasn't exactly been impressive this week due to still recovering from the head injury (and constantly re-hitting my head in the process -_-)

I did start ramping up a bit, going from a day where the treadmill made me woozy and machines where I didn't move my head were the only option, into 3x5 workouts every other day until today. Looked a little like this:

Sunday:

Squats 125x3x5
    Bench 95x3x5
    Row 85x3x6

Tuesday:

Squats 135x4x5
    OHP 70x3x5
    Deadlift 185x5, 195x5, 205x5

with some deadbugs and push-ups thrown in there, a little. Still not doing too much cardio-y stuff :/

Today:

Squats 145x5x5 (struggled on the last set. Yuck. I would do these for sets of 10 not that long ago)
    Bench 100x2x5, 105x2x5
    Row 90x3x6, 90x8 on last set

with some double unders thrown in there, and burpees that my head handled pretty ok. I've lost the groove a bit but I'll get it back

I'm just getting a wee bit worried that I have an OCR coming up (July 21st) and I haven't done any running in 2 weeks now. Gonna try to fit one in tomorrow morning.
  • TheHobbit2017
    Options
    Today’s numbers:

Squats 52.5kg - 5x5 (last set did AMRAP got 8 strong reps)
    Bench 40kg - 5,4,5,4,5
    Row 37.5kg - 5x5 (last set AMRAP got 7)

Accessories:
    Ez bar curl 15kg - 8,8,8
    Band assisted Dips - 12,12,12 (green band)

I’ll be amazed if I hit 5x5 on bench next time but we will see. Rows felt amazingly strong. Squats also felt fab no niggles so 55kg next time
  • mustb60
    Options
    I am on a calorie deficit so not increasing plates on the bar for a week. Planning a slow increase next week.
    Awsome job guys!! It's really inspiring to see your numbers!!