Can men and women be just friends? (Super long)

Options
2»

Replies

• laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I think it's possible..but not plausible. I have a few guy friends. Mainly ones from my old job that I now only interact with via social media and say hi when we see each other. The ones I've tried hanging out with regularly turned out to just want booty calls. Some of them have girlfriends and wives, then they get mad because I won't sleep with them and the texting, hanging out and "what are you up to" comes to a screeching halt. It's such a horrible feeling knowing they were using you the whole time...but being literally MAD at me because I won't sleep with you and not talking to me anymore is just beyond me. They obviously were never true friends in the first place.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    He wants a lot more than you're willing to give. This will ultimately destroy your friendship because either A) you'll date someone else and he'll become a ghost, or B) he'll meet someone else and walk away.

Why are you so reserved about giving him a chance? You ARE single after all, if you have a legit reason against him you should probably talk to him about it and let him off the hook. I do not think guys and girls make very good friends, especially as you get older. basic instincts tell us we are here to couple up, not to lead each other on with mind games. have the talk with him, be open and honest and see where that goes
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Yes men and women can be friends but I don't think that's what this is about.

I guess I don't get why you're so determined to not give the guy a chance. So he can treat you to movies and drive you to bars to talk with other guys and what he gets in return is you (and your brother) constantly reminding him that you're not attracted to him?

Is this how you treat your other friends or do you just want to have your cake and eat it too?
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    He wants a lot more than you're willing to give. This will ultimately destroy your friendship because either A) you'll date someone else and he'll become a ghost, or B) he'll meet someone else and walk away.

Why are you so reserved about giving him a chance? You ARE single after all, if you have a legit reason against him you should probably talk to him about it and let him off the hook. I do not think guys and girls make very good friends, especially as you get older. basic instincts tell us we are here to couple up, not to lead each other on with mind games. have the talk with him, be open and honest and see where that goes

Because there is no future and I do not have feelings for him in that way, why force something that I know isn't there. I think that would be worse. I have always told him that we would just be friends. He always seemed to be understanding about that and has told me he would rather be friends than nothing at all. I haven't seen him in weeks, but he will text me from time to time. I have been trying to take into consideration everyones advice on here about not hanging out just the two of us. Like I said he is a great guy, he just isnt the guy for me.
  • Carlyannabelle
    Carlyannabelle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Yes men and women can be friends but I don't think that's what this is about.

I guess I don't get why you're so determined to not give the guy a chance. So he can treat you to movies and drive you to bars to talk with other guys and what he gets in return is you (and your brother) constantly reminding him that you're not attracted to him?

Is this how you treat your other friends or do you just want to have your cake and eat it too?

Once again, he is a great guy, just not the guy for me. And yes, he did take me to a movie, one time as friends, and I never said he takes me to bars to talk to guys. I usually meet him for a drink and on one occasion, while he was my ride I was talking to another guy because he started up a conversation. Don't make it sound like something it isn't. I have turned down his invites lately because I am trying to not just have just the two of us hanging out. I like him, he is fun and we have fun together, but he is not the guy for me, romantically plain and simple.