July 9 Weekly Challenge: Summer Declutterfest

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
Theme: Healthy Practices
Challenge: Summer Declutterfest!

Let the opening ceremonies of the 2018 Summer Declutterfest BEGIN!

I am only too happy to make this challenge a quarterly event. I made great strides at our Spring Declutterfest in April on the upstairs bedroom and happily it remains reasonably clutter free. This week, I’m taking on the dining room which has become a catch-all space and clutter magnet. What decluttering project are you taking on this week? Let’s all roll up our sleeves and dive into that project that we’ve been meaning to get to.

If you're wondering what decluttering, cleaning, and organizing have to do with better health, there are at least two interesting connections. When we're working on house projects like these, we're not sitting. We are up and moving around and this light to moderate activity has lots of health benefits. In addition, for many people, clutter is a source of stress, guilt, and can inhibit focus and productivity. Clutter becomes an array of visual cues of projects we haven't finished. The articles below go into greater detail as to how clutter affects our stress, productivity, brains, and indeed our lives. Not good. So this week.... let's bag, tag, recycle, and reorganize! We will feel great when we're done!

This Week's Challenge: Whether it's one project worked on over the week or lots of smaller projects, let's get these projects done. I'm looking forward to hearing what you accomplish this week. Post a picture of your finished project if you are so inclined!

Make it a great week!

...................................................................................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Why Mess Causes Stress: 8 Reasons, 8 Remedies
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/high-octane-women/201203/why-mess-causes-stress-8-reasons-8-remedies

How Clutter Affects Your Brain (and What You Can Do About It)
http://lifehacker.com/how-clutter-affects-your-brain-and-what-you-can-do-abo-662647035

The Emotional Toll of Clutter
https://experiencelife.com/article/the-emotional-toll-of-clutter/

The Cost of Clutter: How Clutter Affects Your Time, Money, and Stress
https://www.verywell.com/the-cost-of-clutter-3144688

...................................................................................................................................................

Replies

• themedalist
    Options
    30u8rx6qnwiw.jpeg
  • themedalist
    Options
    And It's Move It Monday!

bwceavqd7nfm.png

Please post your Monday workout here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10637806/move-it-monday-weekly-challenge
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    OH MY Declutter Fest is here! I sooo need to declutter lots of drawers that have so much crap!!! I have been procrastinating.

Thanks for this challenge.
  • Knittylady
    Knittylady Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I need to seriously declutter my kitchen. I would like to replace all the cupboards and benches, but I have soooooo much clutter hiding in them it's going to take a bit longer than a week to go through them all! Thankfully the Flylady's system is starting to work, and even if it takes a while, I will do it.
    Thanks for all the insight into issues with clutter - I know why I do it, and it will not get the better of me!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,105 Member
    Options
    OK, I couldn’t decide on one project for today,so I cleared a small bookcase that had become a hotspot, watered our plants, and then carted the things that belonged elsewhere to their locations.

Re-organized some books so additional ones would fit, and then put away art supplies that I’d found elsewhere last month, but had not completely put them away. Cleared/prettified the tops of storage and my table. This art studio is ready for prime time again!

Finally, I moved a bunch of empty containers to the closet where I keep them until I’m completely done with Marie Kongo-big.

I did find myself, at times, a bit frustrated/sad. I’ve been at this awhile & most of what is left seems difficult to really get through: flashlights, old phones, games, old electronics (need to figure out where they can be recycled), decorative objects, frames, old art...

However, I am powering on!!!

Total time spent: 1 hour 3 minutes!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017, you are doing great! Old phones can be recycled at the phone store here. Many electronic stores also recycle.

I won't be doing much decluttering this week because I'm going to Paris tomorrow!!!! :D I do plan to tidy up a bit before I leave for the airport.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @77tes Than you!

Have a fabulous time in Paris!!! Will you be going to the Musee d’Orsay?
  • Michaela_LaGata
    Michaela_LaGata Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    It is possible to eat healthy while traveling..I used mindfulness ( my favorite discussion here) and lost .5 pound in one week. Slow and steady is the way. I ate mostly vegetarian with some fish...like at home.

I'm practicing "anti affuenza" and think about abundance differently. Smaller carbon footprint. Think about future generations. It means getting rid of excess stuff just taking up space... but more. It's how I consume. Buy less.. live more. Part of self and life transformation.

This week I'm getting rid of old cassette music recordings. There is a vintage record store that will buy them back. Last summer I gave away dozens of old books and CDs. Felt great. Got tax receipt but no matter. It was good.

Warm regards
    M.

• 77tes
    Options
    @77tes Than you!

Have a fabulous time in Paris!!! Will you be going to the Musee d’Orsay?

Oh yes! That is definitely on the must do list!
  • 77tes
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Hi all
    It is possible to eat healthy while traveling..I used mindfulness ( my favorite discussion here) and lost .5 pound in one week. Slow and steady is the way. I ate mostly vegetarian with some fish...like at home.

Yes, I do have a strategy for eating while traveling. We basically eat 2 meals, but I do mean to sample the pastry! :)
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Declutterfest! Yea! I have been meaning to do this in several areas but just kept putting it off. This week I will dig in.

Declutter my closet. This will be big. I did it a year ago and it really needs it again. It's kind of a catch-all spot.
    Declutter our linen closet. It's become linen, medications, nail polish and salon products, etc. What a MESS!
    Declutter file cabinet of old papers.
    Declutter the tupperware cupboard....driving me crazy! Open the cupboard door and everything falls out. UGH!

:smile:
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    July 10
    Cleared top of dresser!
    Recycled old magazines
    Shredded old receipts
    Cleaned purse/backpack
    Organized to-do’s & desk paperwork
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    July 11 - did those niggly little spots that we tend to overlook, but when a guest is coming over...& reduced some areas that were “over-decorated”

Cleared entry, the few things left from earlier bookshelf emptying, spiffed up kitchen, removing all that I could from counters, recycled some boxes & junk mail, removed things from
    Mantle, side tables, and other surfaces in living room to make it more modern & lighter in feel, etc.

Took about an hour - only “stashed a few items” hehe
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @PinkyPan1 How did the closets go?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB How’s it going?
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 Way to go! Keep up the good work.

Thanks to this challenge I was cleaning the cabinets under the kitchen sink, I found a small leak.

I still have the drawers to do and I do not want to. I want to procrastinate. It is giving me anxiety just thinking about it. Too messy. LOL!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    @PinkyPan1 How did the closets go?

All done! A pain in the butt but I got them done and I am happy with the results.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB How’s it going?

Getting there! I shredded old documets and cleaned out the file cabinet, so that was a great feeling. That's been on my list for awhile! I decluttered a few of my trinket/jewelry boxes in my bedroom which were not planned but were overflowing with junk. I decluttered my desk at work (unplanned). I decluttered two drawers in the bathroom (unplanned). I plan to hit the closets and tupperware cupboards on Saturday. They're going to take some time and I've been working later than usual this week! :smile: