Piriformis Syndrome?

Options
I have all the symptoms... Anyone ever dealt with it before?

How long of a break from running did you have to take?

Any stretches that were more useful?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I am sorry that I can't help with your question, but I know there is at least one person, probably more, in the "Monthly Running Challenge" group that have dealt with this issue. You may also want to try and post your question there as I am sure she will offer you lots of good info.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think I had a mild case for a while.
    It really acted up if I had to drive for any amount of time longer than about an hour.
    There are a number of stretches that you can do. Just Google pyriformis and stretches. You'll get many.
    The main one recommended, however, is to lay flat on your back on the floor. Then lift the affected leg and bend it to a 90 degree angle. Then, take the opposite hand, put it on the outside of the bent knee and then draw that knee down, over your other leg and pelvis, without straightening it, and get it as close to the floor as you can while keeping your back on the floor.
    I did not take any break from running. But....then again.....mine took many months to resolve completely.
    Good luck.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Have you asked a physio those questions?
  • glitchcat
    glitchcat Posts: 26 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    I had this about 10 years ago when I was also trying to cycle, and that position of being on a bicycle really agitated things. I tried many different things (massage, chiropractors, ACT, electric, athletic message, stretching, yoga) but eventually had to just wait it out. It took many months before it went away for me, but that's not always the case, and for some people some of the therapies I mentioned help it go away more quickly.
  • ttippie2000
    ttippie2000 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I had a mild case. My coach said that my training was making me quad dominant and that I needed to activate my glutes. So he had me do glute bridges, 1 legged deadlifts, straight legged or romanian deadlifts, yoga pigeon poses (piriformis stretch), and some lateral leg walks with a stretchy band. What helped the most was athletic massage. I'm happy to say that I am no longer bothered much by any of those symptoms.