Ankle Tightness/Stiffness - Exercises to help?

Options
Linli_Anne
Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
As I set my sights on continuing to prepare for my first 1/2 in October I am noticing that I have an issue with ankle tightness usually the day after a run.

If I could best describe it, I would say that it feels as though my ankle muscles are shortened, and when I walk on flat feet or attempt to point my foot downwards, I get some slight discomfort.

I do make sure to stretch out my calves very well after each run, under the advice of my massage therapist. But, I'm not sure what to do for the ankle issue.

My left ankle (which also has some old injuries) seems to fare worse than my right, but I do feel it in both.

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Interested to hear the replies. I have this exact same issue. Super tight in my right Achilles area. I have been doing extra stretching for both the top and bottom of the calf and doing calf strengthening exercises but beyond that I have no clue what to do.
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I had this too when my miles got up to 8+. Icing after the run helped tremendously. along with the extra stretching. I also used Icy Hot and did some massaging through the day.
  • seizethefray
    Options
    Yep, I have the same problem. I've found it helps to lay flat on back with my knees bent, feet on the floor. I cross one leg over the other and draw imaginary circles with my foot stopping and holding wherever it hurts. I'd like to hear what other people have to say as well because that's the only part of my leg that seems to be consistently sore.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Write the alphabet in the air with your big toe. Repeat on the other foot. This will help with flexibility and strength.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the replies.

I did the circles last night, and I also went to a hot yoga class which really did help loosen my ankles, hip flexors and released some tightness in my IT bands as well. I will be trying to keep this as part of my routine.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I did a few sun salutations this morning. I roll my foot with a tennis ball during the day and sit in my office chair with the tops of my feet against the floor to stretch out this area as well.
  • yogajess11
    yogajess11 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi, just saw this posting, Im a yoga teacher and just want to say keep up with the yoga while increasing distance for sure! It helps me! Specific poses I do that help are (check out yogajournal.com or google the names for the specifics) 1) Virasana (hero pose), kness bent, feet slightly wider than hips. On days when my anlkles are really tight, I sit on a block or folded blanket. Other times I can lean back in this pose, supta virasana, and it really helps increse blood flow and circulation to the ankles. 2) Garudasana (eagle pose) legs crosses over the other, ankle tucked behond leg. You can practice virasana anytime, its a seated position and then from there if you want to go further, try for Garudasana.