What shoes are you in? Favorite gear to share with others?

Options
Elise4270
Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
edited August 2018 in Social Groups
Current shoes.

OnCloud road shoes. The only pavement I run are races. So, these really suck on the trail because they pick up rocks. Haha! Maybe I'll add some pavement when I make it up for morning runs. 8 drop (I think).

TOPO runventure2. For trails. Brand new, but likely will be my favorite shoe ever. Zero drop. 19mm stack

Retired trail and road shoes were mizunos. No complaint.

I prefer a 4-7 drop, low stack height, light, very breathable, neutral shoe.

Replies

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I really like Mizuno Wave Riders. The running store fitted me for them a couple of years ago, so I am on my 4th or 5th pair of them.

I have also run in Sauconys, but I don’t remember the specific type.
  • ltltony
    ltltony Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm running in Tesla Bk30s right now.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I've got Asics Kayanos for distance, Salming EnRoutes for short runs and Saucony Peregrines for trail. I will probably go for something different the next time I'm in the market for trail shoes as I'm a bit soured on Saucony at the moment. I was running in Hurricanes and they just didn't last.
  • maureli
    maureli Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I love my asics nimbus. I've tried others but keep coming back to these. Have not tried the kayanos yet though, might give them a try
  • robdavis1
    robdavis1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Currently running Mizuno Wave Riders, but I also run Asics Gel Nimbus. Both are great and almost feel identical to me. The Mizunos feel a little lighter.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    I love my Skora Tempos and have for a while now. They are my go to shoe for long runs and races. Unfortunately they are currently unavailable. Skora is supposed to have more stock in the fall (hoping since they are my favorites).
    Stack height 22mm, 6.3oz

A close second to the Skoras are the Topo Athletics ST-2
    Stack height 16mm, 5.6oz

I also have a new pair of Altra Escalantes that I love for days when I want more cushioning.
    Stack height 25mm, 6.5oz

All are 0 drop and other than the Altra's have pretty minimal padding/cushioning. For other than easy, recovery type runs I prefer the lower stack and lighter shoes.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I wear Neutral shoes so I can wear my orthotics with them under the insole.

(I had issues wearing Stability/Support shoes and the orthotics - support overkill! That's why I stopped wearing my Asics Kayanos and Brooks Ravenna.)

My current crop

Nike Pegasus 34: My favourite - I have 2 pairs. They were awesome on my 50 km run in June, and they're brilliant for fast 5 km runs. Love them. I'd wear them all the time if I didn't have others to rotate in the collection.

Nike Vomero 12: Lovely comfy cushioned shoes I like to wear on recovery runs.

Brooks Levitate: Responsive, for runs up to 10 km distance.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    I really like Mizuno Wave Riders. The running store fitted me for them a couple of years ago, so I am on my 4th or 5th pair of them.

I have also run in Sauconys, but I don’t remember the specific type.

I love Mizuno Wave Riders. I am currently running in a pair. The only thing that sucks is they seem to wear out faster than other brands. I am lucky if I get 300 - 350 miles on them before my knees start aching.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    I need some new shoes. When I got fitted at the running store they gave me Saucony Ride 10s and also a pair of Mizuno I think Wave Riders. I liked the Sauconys and I have had a couple of pairs of them, but I am only getting about 300 miles from them. It is really frustrating because the closest running store is ~60 miles away.
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've always worn Saucony's (ISO Hurricanes) and usually get around 400 miles out of them. I started with the #1 and bought a couple of extra pairs for when they stopped making them. I got through those and was reluctant to try the #2 because all the reviews said the toe-box was very narrow. When my last pair gave up the ghost I went to the running store and had my gait analysed and it was a toss up between a pair of Sauconys (not sure which style) or the Brooks Ravenna. They both felt good, but stupidly I went with the Brooks. I should have stuck with what I knew. After a few weeks I had loads of little niggling aches and pains in my calves and ankles. Switched back to my old, battered Hurricanes, and boom, no more problems. I even ran a half marathon on the old shoes because I didn't trust the Brooks to get me through without doing some damage. They're fine for a 5k, but anything more than that and I'm in trouble.

I've gone back to the ISO Hurricanes (got a sweet deal on a couple of pairs of the #3 now that the #4 is out) and my feet and legs have never felt happier.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,972 Member
    Options
    I bought some new socks the other day and my feet are not hurting as much as before. So I think I may get a few more miles on my Saucony's after all. I'm glad because I really do like them. I really hadn't thought about my socks wearing out, but I think that may have been part of my problem.
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    I've got Asics Kayanos for distance, Salming EnRoutes for short runs and Saucony Peregrines for trail. I will probably go for something different the next time I'm in the market for trail shoes as I'm a bit soured on Saucony at the moment. I was running in Hurricanes and they just didn't last.

Thanks for posting your brands.

Since your in Canada as well, I’m going to look into your brands.
    I’ve always worn Nike but they keep discontinuing what I like and past 6 months can’t find anything.
    I need new hiking, walking and running shoes now
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    The Salming shoes aren't carried in stores near as I can tell - online only.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i've had issues getting more than 300 out of saucony as well. i love them but i cannot afford to replace them as much as i should. except for my xodus gtx which i love for the trails.
    i started with the rides, then brooks glycerin(my favorite), then hurricaines-meh, and now altra turin-so far so good (only ten miles in them)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Bump itty bump bump! This thread is a gem when shoe shopping! Please share your finds!

I'm running short trails in zero drop topo's.

Road and trail in ON clouds, which i like except rocks get stuck between the pods and its so annoying when i get back to pavement. I can't tell on the trails though.

Road and trail in some shoes i bought 2+ years ago and thought I'd never wear them. Something's changed and I've been rotating them in, they are the Brooks ghost 9.
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    My favoutire running shoes ever were the "Saucony Cortana 4" - 4mm drop, 176g. Light, comfortable, great on trails and roads.
    I bought a pair in January 2016, ran ~700km in them, realised Saucony doesn't make them anymore! I found another pair online after much hunting and put another 500km on those, now they are semi-retired (stashed at my parents place so that I don't have to bring shoes when I visit them for a weekend).

The next best thing I found were the Saucony Zealots. Bought a pair in August 2016, put 650km on them, now those are at my parents place too and I'm on a new pair of the newer version.

---

My currently used shoes (too many, I know :blush: ):
    15r99uf61yjz.png

Here's a review of them all (and dates when I bought them, some of the older ones might not be available anymore):

ASICS Gel-Fuji Runnegade (April 2016) - 6mm drop, 218g, protection against getting debris inside the shoe, soles with massive lugs that does amazing on mud. Really weird if you try to wear them on a road or dry tracks, so I reserve them for really muddy trails and found they'll do well on snow too.

Inov8 Terrafly 277 (May 2016) - 6mm drop, 240g, good fit, good grip, like them on rocky trails and the road. The only negative point is that they don't have much protection against debris getting in, so every now and then I have to stop a run and shake out a little stone when I use them on gravel trails. And they make me feel fast somehow :wink: , so they are also my speedwork shoes.

Saucony Xodus 6.0 GTX (May 2016) - 4mm drop, 301g, waterproof gore-tex upper. I'm not too impressed with these shoes for trails - the Asics are better on mud, and my Inov-8s are betting on wet, slippery rock. So I'm mostly using them on dry roads now. First I found them very comfortable, but after using them more I decided that the way the tongue presses into the top of my feet is weird. And they are quite heavy! But feel very cushioned. I use them for short runs the day after harder workouts, and I'll keep using them until I have enough distance on them to retire them, but I would not buy them again.

Merrell Road Glove Dash 3 (September 2016) - 0mm drop, 173g. Because I felt like trying out "minimalist" shoes. What's funny is that I had other shoes in the past that were of similar weight (e.g. Saucony Cortona and Kinvara), but the Merrells feel a lot lighter. The sole is so thin you can really feel the ground you're running on. I didn't get any soreness in the calfs or anywhere else when I started using them (which I read from other people starting to use minimalist shoes), but I still mostly limit using them to short distances. I have also used them for runs up to 16km once or twice, so I know it can be done. I guess I'm just too brainwashed by the cushioned-shoes-advertisements to do it on a regular basis.

Saucony Zealot ISO 3 (December 2017) - 4mm drop, 207g. Very comfortable. I use them for all my long runs. They are a tiny bit heavier than the Cortonas were (but still lighter than most shoes!), and maybe a bit less grip on wet rocks. But that are the only negative points I could think off. I'll definitely buy another pair soon.

Altra Intuition 3.0 (March 2017) - 0mm drop, 184g. Because I got caught in the "zero drop" hype at some point. Turns out I don't really notice any difference compared to my other shoes. The soles feel cushioned enough, but I'm not happy with the fit of the shoes. They are too wide at the heels for me. I'm using some special lacing technique that I found online, which at least makes them usable, but still not too great. Used for short runs whenever I remember that I own them and feel like I should use them to justify having spent the money.

Inov8 Roclite 290 (December 2017) - 4mm drop, 290g, Similar lug soles as the ASICS Gel-Fuji Runnegade, but less pronounced, so okay on roads. I bought them because I wanted to have something to replace my Inov8 Terrafly when I have to retire them and thought they would be similar, but they are not. They are much more similar to my Saucony Xodus. That means they are comfortable enough, but feel a bit clunky. I'll probably use them as for short easy runs as soon as the Xodus are retired.

---

Shoes that I really regretted buying:
    On Cloudflyer (April 2016) - 7mm drop, 243g. The only shoes in the last five years that I bought in a real-life shop rather than online. In the store I was impressed with the fancy cloud pod sole. After running in them a bit however, I realised that while the sole is nice, they seem to be too narrow for me in the arch/midfoot section; I can't run in them for longer distances without my feet beginning to cramp up. And it's super annoying when little rocks get stuck in the "cloud elements". I used them for 100km, despite being super annoyed with them (because they happened to be the most expensive shoes I ever bought in my life :/ ), then I simply couldn't stand it any longer and got rid of them.

Saucony Kinvara 7 (November 2016) - 4mm drop, 184g. Bought because they were crazy cheap, and I was hoping they would be like the Cortonas or Zealots. At first I liked them. Unfortunately, they didn't last very long. After maybe 300km, I started getting knee pain when using them for long runs. I stubbornly put another 170km on them because I usually use shoes for ~700km, but at some point the pain got bad enough that I had to admit they were done. So in hindsight, they were not so cheap after all.

---

TL;DR
    If I could only buy three or four different shoes, those would be:
    - Saucony Zealot for roads and easy trails
    - ASICS Gel-Fuji Runnegade for mud and snow
    - Inov8 Terrafly for speedwork
    (- Merrell Road Glove Dash to have something "different" occasionally)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I'm currently in Hoka Gaviota for road (mostly short runs) and just got Salming Trail 5's after retiring my Altra Lone Peaks (loved them). I've done one run in the Salming shoes and they are so light and the slight drop compared to the Altras is not as bothersome as I thought it might be. There's not quite as wide a toe box, but I'm a borderline wide size. Paired with toe socks, my feet are fine. It's cushioned, but not squishy like other cushioned shoes. I'll need a few more runs before I have a final opinion. If I don't end up loving them, I'm going to get the Altra Timps.

I do NOT love the Hokas at ALL. They are super stabilizing and feel so heavy. I do overpronate, but I cannot stand the stabilization. I used to run in Asics Nimbus. Love the cushioning, but the drop is huge. I might try the Salming En Routes or the Altra Torin next. I have about 50 miles left on the Hokas.

ETA: Also not a Saucony fan. I can't remember the model I tried, but it was just ugggg. Not good.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »

Thanks for posting your brands.

Since your in Canada as well, I’m going to look into your brands.
    I’ve always worn Nike but they keep discontinuing what I like and past 6 months can’t find anything.
    I need new hiking, walking and running shoes now

If you like Altras, there is an Altra Lone Peak hiking boot I'm DYING to try. I have an old pair of Keen boots from pre-weight loss that are now too big. Next spring when I do more hiking after the melt off, I definitely want to nab a pair.
  • funnygrrl
    funnygrrl Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i run in Saucony Guide 10s, but am open to running in other brands... any suggestions? i tried the brook ravenas and that didn't go well thanks
  • dcresider
    dcresider Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I finally succumbed to buying Brooks Ghost 11 running shoes after my Saucony's were starting to bother me. They are the most comfortable , slightly cushioned for my neutral/flat feet and am looking forward to run my long runs in them.