August 30 Sign In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• RangerRickL
    Options
    Yesterday, a FAQ was asked. The question was, “When you report whether you were within your daily calories limit, do you allow a credit for exercise expenditure?” That is a paraphrase.
    My answer is that you are the judge of whether or not to give yourself a calories exerted credit for exercise.
    My personal habit is to reward myself for strenuous exercise, so I give Rick credit.
    Other members have different answers that fit their own goals.
    The UAC does not tell you how to use exercise calorie credits.
    Others are encouraged to share what rules they have for themselves.
    Rick
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,003 Member
    Options
    I say “yes” if my Resting + Active Energy is greater than Calories Eaten.

I lose even if they are equal (don’t know why) so this works for me. If I want to speed up my weight loss, I’ll switch the goal to under 100 calories or under 300.

I’m under by 9,388 calories Aug 1-29 which should be a 2.7 lb loss & I’ve lost 6. I track & weigh all my foods, so I can’t really explain it.
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    “When you report whether you were within your daily calories limit, do you allow a credit for exercise expenditure?”

If I don't want to die...of course I do. My basic calories without exercize would be around 1600, I spend 1000 to 1200 in training every day so if I want to survive I have to eat them back. Usually don't have all of them because it's too much food so there's some leftover but sometimes I have all of them back.

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    August 30
    Exercised?: Yes. 20+ minutes of bodyweight exercises.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes

Worked from home again today. Still a bit off. Cold weather, so did bodyweight instead of walking.

On a day when I do not walk and I elect to do bodyweight exercises, I do not post until I have done them so I am sure I do not "blow them off". :)

@RangeRickL. asked about exercise calories. I use them as a buffer, but aim to finish a day under with no exercise calories used. Only if I do much more than normal, do I count HALF exercise calories as a buffer.

Given I am also BELOW a weight I even considered possible when I started (<8% body fat - BMI 20.7 - yes, I have a visible 6 pack at age 50) I need to be close, or even at times a little over to ensure I do not go TOO low. In this way, my daily limit is generous (and hard to reach on a largely gluten free diet).

Unlike @trimi1104. I do not usually do 1000+ cals of exercise (unless I walk 10+km like I was when working in Sydney).

Side note: As I have only 2 pass days this month. I definitely made circle again for this month.
  • rockymir
    Options
    Exercize, 40 min easy run (worth 400 calories btw, so it's definitely going to have to be a stricter day)
    Calories, yes
    Tracked, yes

I'm tapering and it's wonderful. Both coaches really kicked my butt this month, sometimes it feels like have two men trying to kill me, well they did not succeed. I made it to tapering, despite the last week of not making up enough time even to eat and sleep. Woohaa! I made it.
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,292 Member
    Options
    August 30
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes

Thank you @RangeRickL, @trimi1104, @MadisonMolly2017, and @craigo3154. Your inputs are very helpful.
  • eokoro
    eokoro Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    August 30
    Exercised?: Yes.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes
  • jjjcat
    jjjcat Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    August 30
    This turned into a pass day #3 for me. I was tracking calories fine but did not find my way to exercise amidst work and family activities.
  • stella7x7
    stella7x7 Posts: 2,617 Member
    Options
    8/30
    Exercise?- yes
    Caleries?-yes
    Logged?-yes
  • w8goal4life
    w8goal4life Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    8/30
    Exercise? Yes, 1 hour morning walk and additional 1 hour vacuuming
    Calories? Yes, within allowance
    Tracked? Yes, everything logged
  • lessn00
    lessn00 Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
    Yes..  Cardio / Hiit

Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?    Yes

Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?   Yes

Love the comments about exercise calories. I allow myself the option to eat them if I need to, but I don't regularly eat them. I workout heavily so sometimes I need them to keep my energy up.
  • leanHelen
    leanHelen Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes x 3 for me I swam 2kms.
    My rule is to eat back at least some of the exercise calories when I do a hard session.
    Enjoy the tapering @trimi1104 are you competing on the gold coast?
    Cheers
    Helen
  • Bill70Strong
    Bill70Strong Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, 60 minute Pilates Reformer class, a 40 minute trail run/walk, and a 60 minute Align and Define Yoga class.
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • molly3210
    molly3210 Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Yes x 3! And another day well under in calories. 20 min lap swim, hour and a half dog walk. Ate a few bites of chocolate cake but it wasn't yummy enough to justify the calories.

I only eat back exercise calories when I plan to go over at a restaurant, party, etc. I made this choice because I'm trying to loose weight, and I don't trust MFP's calorie calculator to accurately gauge what I burned.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    This was a perfect day to explain how I deal with exercise calories. It is impossible to track how much you burn during Jiu Jitsu which is my main form of exercise so I have a set goal that I aim for daily. I also like that this is a set goal and doesn't fluctuate. However, if I train harder than normal or am feeling super low on energy, I will allow myself extra calories. I also tend to be under a few days a week so one high day will still keep my week average at goal. Yesterday I did an hour weight session early morning, 2:30 with the mma team of which 45 minutes or so were at high intensity and then a 1:30 class on the evening at high intensity for most of the session. I used about 500 extra calories for the day, but the week so far had a 600 deficit so I'm still good.

Oh and a gentle stroll along the beach with my friend and her baby (after we had some yummy treats.)

All logged and still in winners circle!
  • fatbambi2017
    fatbambi2017 Posts: 1,295 Member
    Options
    Exercise yes
    Tracking yes
    Calories no, way over, out of routine today
  • RangerRickL
    Options
    Had a lovely Southern California day. That means that the temperature was warm and pleasant both day & night.
    Rise & I were with our daughter Catherine and her husband, Brad.
    Exercise was a vigorous walk from our hotel to a restaurant for breakfast. 35 minutes at a brisk pace.
    Calories: well under my limit
    Tracking: ok
  • MzRuthy
    MzRuthy Posts: 434 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Yes 3x. 30 min walk.
    Winner’s circle for me
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,003 Member
    Options
    Aug 30
    Yes x 3
    Ex: 76 mins. Lots of activity + 60
    Min walk (enjoying the cooler evenings- hope they last!)

Calories: under 10. Have been “chasing g hunger”, so topped up to just under calories burned.

Tracked: yes, to the gram.

Congratulations to all who are continuing to post & improve your health. I’m grateful for each of you & our group.
  • rockymir
    Options
    leanHelen wrote: »
    Yes x 3 for me I swam 2kms.
    My rule is to eat back at least some of the exercise calories when I do a hard session.
    Enjoy the tapering @trimi1104 are you competing on the gold coast?
    Cheers
    Helen

@leanHelen nope, triathlon at home in Italy :wink: