July 30 Weekly Challenge: New to Me

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited July 2018 in Social Groups
Theme: Healthy Eating
Challenge: New to Me

We are squarely in mid-summer and with summer comes an abundance of fruits and vegetables, many of them locally grown. Grocery stores, farmer's markets, roadside stands, and CSAs are teeming with all kinds of interesting and delectable choices this time of year. But many of us buy the same familiar fruits and vegetables, regardless of how many choices are available to us.

So this week, let's mix it up a little and try something new. Maybe swap a few tomatoes for some tomatillos, or try some kohlrabi along with your cabbage? How about a fruit you haven't tried or haven't had in a long time? I recently had some fresh apricots and it instantly connected me with my grandmother. Apricots were her favorite fruit.

Our food choices are also habits, good and bad. Being receptive to trying something new, with food and in other aspects of life, is a great habit to cultivate!

This Week's Challenge: Whether it's one fruit/vegetable this week, or several, or even a new food every day, try something new this week! And tell us how it goes for you!

Replies

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    Hmm, these new food challenges can get difficult since I've become much more adventurous in my food choices. Not that I've tried everything, lol! My dear daughter did the farmers market shopping for me this last weekend, and she got the old standbys (her favorites) of zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, purple cabbage, and Brussels sprouts. However, she did go by the organic cheese stand and bought some smoked Gouda, so that might be my new thing. Like I needed to find a new kind of cheese to love! >:) However, I will try to find some new fruit or veggie, too.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options
    @77tes Same here!
    I looked all over LOL
    Maybe I’ll try some asparagus?!
  • 77tes
    Options
    @77tes Same here!
    I looked all over LOL

Oh, I love asparagus! I don't get it too often because it is just for hubby and me since my girls don't care for it.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I agree with @77tes and @MadisonMolly2017 This is a good challenge but a difficult one! I'm trying to get myself to eat more veggies in general but I do also tend to stick only to the ones I know I like because I do not like so many! :wink: I will have to really walk through the produce aisles and think... Beets and brussell sprouts are out. I have tried them, but just cannot do it. Love asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, celery, salad fixin's, corn and peas. Not a huge fan of cauliflower but I can do it. Green beans is one I'm currently trying to get myself to like. I was given a bag of fresh green beans from a friend's garden and am trying those tonight. Not a fan, but if I can get so I don't dislike them so much, I would consider that a win. :smile:
  • 77tes
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB , hope you enjoy the green beans! You are making my mouth watering thinking of those garden fresh beans!

Since I just got back from France, and was totally blown away by how delicious the veggies were, I started looking for how to make veggies the French way. I found an OLD Julia Child video on youtube (black and white), and the first veggie she did was green bean. Basically she said cook them whole after removing the ends and strings. She had a huge pot of rapidly boiling water about the size of a pot for a spaghetti feast. She threw them into the water and boiled them for only about 10 minutes (she of course tried one to see if it was done. Then she drained them and put them in cold water to stop the cooking. She said you could then put them aside and let then dry, fixing them right before serving by warming them through dry in a pot and of course she made a butter/cream sauce.

Let me know if you try her process. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. One night we had filet with mashed parsnips (or parsnip puree, or whatever), which was heavenly. I'm love to figure out how that was made. I still haven't found that recipe.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I just found a new food last week....yellow watermelon. Quite a surprise when i cut it open. I t was good not a sweet the red ones.
    Hmmmm...I will do my best to introduce one or two new foods this week.
  • themedalist
    Options
    @77tes Same here!
    I looked all over LOL

Roasted asparagus is delicious! Drizzle olive oil and balsamic over it and....oh my goodness...SO GOOD!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I agree with @77tes and @MadisonMolly2017 This is a good challenge but a difficult one! I'm trying to get myself to eat more veggies in general but I do also tend to stick only to the ones I know I like because I do not like so many! :wink: I will have to really walk through the produce aisles and think... Beets and brussell sprouts are out. I have tried them, but just cannot do it. Love asparagus, broccoli, tomatoes, mushrooms, celery, salad fixin's, corn and peas. Not a huge fan of cauliflower but I can do it. Green beans is one I'm currently trying to get myself to like. I was given a bag of fresh green beans from a friend's garden and am trying those tonight. Not a fan, but if I can get so I don't dislike them so much, I would consider that a win. :smile:

It sounds to me that you’ve got a pretty good selection of veggies that you like, @PackerFanInGB!
  • themedalist
    Options
    I realize this week’s challenge may be pretty tough for some of you. Maybe there’s a fruit or veggie you rarely have that you could include this week?

The apricots I had a few weeks ago got me thinking. Why don’t I have them more often? I really like apricots. What else would I enjoy if I stopped purchasing the same fruits and veggies at the grocery store and at my local CSA and made room for something else?

And thus...this week’s challenge!
  • themedalist
    edited July 2018
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I just found a new food last week....yellow watermelon. Quite a surprise when i cut it open. I t was good not a sweet the red ones.
    Hmmmm...I will do my best to introduce one or two new foods this week.

Yellow watermelon sounds very interesting, @PinkyPan1. I will look for that. Thanks!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    @PackerFanInGB , hope you enjoy the green beans! You are making my mouth watering thinking of those garden fresh beans!

Since I just got back from France, and was totally blown away by how delicious the veggies were, I started looking for how to make veggies the French way. I found an OLD Julia Child video on youtube (black and white), and the first veggie she did was green bean. Basically she said cook them whole after removing the ends and strings. She had a huge pot of rapidly boiling water about the size of a pot for a spaghetti feast. She threw them into the water and boiled them for only about 10 minutes (she of course tried one to see if it was done. Then she drained them and put them in cold water to stop the cooking. She said you could then put them aside and let then dry, fixing them right before serving by warming them through dry in a pot and of course she made a butter/cream sauce.

Let me know if you try her process. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. One night we had filet with mashed parsnips (or parsnip puree, or whatever), which was heavenly. I'm love to figure out how that was made. I still haven't found that recipe.

Yum! I would have never thought to look for an old Julia Child video. Great idea! I didn't see this until now, so I actually made them differently. I snapped the ends off and steamed them! I seasoned with some Mrs Grass seasoning and ate them with a salmon filet. They were surprisingly really good! I didn't expect to like them, but they turned out really good. I have a whole bag left in the fridge, so I'll try Julia's method tomorrow. I'll bet they are firmer than mine. I think I let mine cook too long. I have never tried parsnips. Maybe that will have to be my "new" thing this week! :) Thanks for the tips! Sounds like you had a nice trip! I would love to go to Paris!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I tried quinoa.....nope, not for me. I have had it mixed in with rice before and I liked it. UGH
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    @77tes Same here!
    I looked all over LOL

Roasted asparagus is delicious! Drizzle olive oil and balsamic over it and....oh my goodness...SO GOOD!

Thanks. Sounds like a great idea. I’ve only thought of steaming them. Or bbq.
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I’ve tried kohlrabi in salads it’s amazing.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    I didn't try anything new today, but I did eat 1 lb of assorted raw veggies for lunch! Broccoli, celery, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and radishes. I think I'm developing a taste for them finally.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    A friend gave us some zucchini from their garden. Anyone have an easy way to make zucchini? It's not something I've really eaten much of through the years...kind of blah, isn't it?
  • themedalist
    Options
    I didn't try anything new today, but I did eat 1 lb of assorted raw veggies for lunch! Broccoli, celery, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes and radishes. I think I'm developing a taste for them finally.

That’s a lot of veggies! I don’t know if you like dip with raw veggies but a super simple one I make is to mix hummus with plain Greek yogurt.
  • themedalist
    Options
    A friend gave us some zucchini from their garden. Anyone have an easy way to make zucchini? It's not something I've really eaten much of through the years...kind of blah, isn't it?

Zucchini is pretty blah. Maybe that’s why people stick it in muffins? :)

I’ve had zucchini topped with spaghetti sauce and cheese and that’s pretty good!
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I tried quinoa.....nope, not for me. I have had it mixed in with rice before and I liked it. UGH

Good for you for trying quinoa, @PinkyPan1. It does have a different texture, which can take some getting used to.