inches vs pounds

Options
Seems like I am losing more inches than pounds lately....I know that any kind of loss is still good...

I was just trying to figure out why (for my body type) this is happening to me like this...I'm so curious as to why ...I have not started to
go to gym or do anything super strenous...I walk often and I ride my bike alot too...

I am happy to be off of two of my diabetes meds--no insulin or glipizide....only metformin these days...YAY!

I hope that within time everything will clear up and I will be back to normal....

Maybe I need more calories? The mfp food log always tells me I am under calories and it says I need at least 1200 calories a day...lol

Thoughts/feedback

Replies

• jennielou75
    jennielou75 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Inches are good! The scales can be a bit of a pain sometimes so inches lost can be a better measure. MFP always sets at 1200 cals but most people cannot get there for some time after their op. I am a year out and get around 1000 to 1100 (not net as I always burn over 300 calories each day). Don't get hung up on that just keep an eye on the fat amount in case that creeps up oh and remember to log everything!!!
  • digitaljdr
    digitaljdr Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    You are correct that any loss is a good loss.

But we cannot pick and choose how our body loses weight. You can target areas but you can't say "I want to lose 15 pounds from my stomach." Everyone's body works differently, you may be gaining muscle mass and then once your muscles develop in that are you will continue to lose weight in others.

Don't worry about your calorie counts, make sure you are getting your recommended daily amounts of protein set by your program's nutritionist ( if you don't have one you should be shooting for 60 - 65Gs daily)

Fats and sugars will cause dumping and other unpleasant things.

Hope this helps.
  • lee91356
    lee91356 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how far out you are from surgery so I will just note that yes inch losses are good and dont worry about the scale. In the end its a numbers game and you have to figure out which/ what numbers work to make you happy. For example - I'm not psyched about my weight but I love my size, i.e. I have no interest in dropping another dress size, so I have to forgo further weight loss lol. Since weight is weird and I cant redistribute it I have decided to skip the scale and just focus on maintenance based on my dress size.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    You mention walking and riding your bike. If you normally didn't do that before, you are gaining muscle and losing fat at the same time from these exercises. That could be why you don't see the scale move, but the inches are going. Muscle takes up less space than fat.

PS Muscle does not weigh more than fat, a pound is a pound. Whether it be feathers or lead. (one of my pet peeves!!)
  • SteveWebb7
    Options
    I am currently taking 4 insulin shots a day. Haven't had surgery yet. Tah's been one of my concerns with getting sleeved is coming of the insulin. I have cut back on the insulin tremendously since last Thursday when I started exercising and dieting. I am very hopeful I will succeed in getting off the insulin at least. I want to return to truck driving at least part time after I have fully recovered from surgery. Best wishes