August another day at the gym!

Options
krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
New month, new thread, new beginnings and all that wazzoo :)

Today I derailed a little from the plan, and decided to start with some snatch skill work.

Snatch warm-up at 35lbs, then deconstruct reps x 2/2/3 @ 55
snatch pull + power snatch @65 x 3 singles, @ 75 x 2 singles
snach pull 85x5, 90x5, 95x3, 100x3 (interspaced by DB push-ups, 5/5/4/5. Yeah, I suck at those these days...)

Then program read 10, 9, 8, 7..., 2, 1 ladder of
- step ups / leg
- pull-ups
- pike presses
- burpee box jumps

The pull-ups were done as jumping pull-ups today - gotta mix it up a bit sometimes! And I kept the DBs to do pike presses on. And my box for step-ups and BJs was at 18'. And those burpee BJ were quite slow. I was terrified of messing up my shins again! So I took my time. And by the time I was done with the round of 10, I was already 5 or 6 minutes in, so I modified to 10, 8, 6, 4, 2 instead. And it took about 17 minutes total.

Then I tried to do some double unders, but I've got my period and ugh. So I cut that pretty short, lol.

Next workout is a power clean, snatch and jerk test! EXCITE!

Replies

• mustb60
    mustb60 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    @krokador Seems like a great session!!
    My work out today: upped the load in deadlift and added Bulgarian split squat to my routine.
    August Weightlifting
    Goal: 3 times/ week
    Wk1: 1 ~Wk2: ~ Wk3: ~Wk4:
    Done 1/12

Wk1
    2/8/18 Squat/OP/Deadlift √

Squat 5×5 29.5 kg 65 lbs
    OP 5×5 24.5 kg 54 lbs
    Dead lift 5×2 47.5 kg 104.7 lbs
    Bulgarian split squat 5×3 10 kg
    Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Cable row 10×3 15 kg
    Dumbbell side raise 10×3 5 kg
    Triceps extension 10×2 10 kg
    Front raise 10×2 5 kg
  • TheHobbit2017
    TheHobbit2017 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Today’s results:

Squats 65kg - 5,5,5,4,5 (shocked they felt hard but decent form),
    Bench 42.5kg - 5,4,5,4,3 (wasn’t to be - deload time),
    Row 42.5kg - 5x5 (first try at this weight - nailed it!)
  • krokador
    Options
    I'm all kinds of beaten up these days, and even after yesterday's rest day I wasn't feeling awesome this morning. But when the program tells you to test your power lifts, uh-yah test yer power lifts! (Not to be confused with the lifts of powerlifting, lol)

Power snatch
    65x3, 75x2, 85x1, 90x1, 95xfail (I think I misgrooved, decided to dump instead of fighting it as I had some time left to do it right),
    95x1
    97.5x mega fail (it was not even close)

While 95 is not great and not that close to my PR, I haven't been snatching a lot lately (if it hadn't been for wednesday's impromptu snatch pull work, it would've been over a month since last time, I think)

Power Clean 75x3, 85x2, 95x1, 105x1, 115x1,
    125x1
    130x high pull at best

I think if I'd been doing full cleans I could've gotten that 130. Given this was after the snatches, I'm not mad at it. 125 is a number I'd only hit like 2-3 times before, so the fact it wasn't too awful a lift means something.

Thruster (from rack) 75x2, 85x1, 95x1, 105x1, 110x1, 117.5x1
    I tried 120 but it was nothing more than a glorified front squat.

That Thruster I believe was an actual PR (and that's with a bum wrist and ankle at the moment). A Total of 337.5 is not too shabby. I'm okay with this session. Looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow morning! lol
  • TheHobbit2017
    Options
    For me it was basically core day. From memory some glute bridges, both single leg, both leg and weighted. Various planks (one set managed 4 minutes moving from front to side planks back and forth. Then it was Swiss ball hamstring curls. Lastly it’s Sliders that killed me tho. Think straight leg sit up with hands against your legs using just the core to sit up. Can still bearly do them without a tiny bit of resistance on my toes but hey, it’s coming on :)
  • TheHobbit2017
    Options
    Busy day today. Just done 5x5 results as follows:

Squats 65kg 4,5,5,4,4 (decided 4 was better than 5 reps and bad form. Think a deload is looming),
    OHP 25.5kg 5,5,5,5,4 (focusing on slow controlled movements. 3 mins between sets and last one just wasn’t happening. Next time should have it),
    Deadlifts 75kg 1x5 (moved over to trap bar which may make the lift easier but definitely easier on my poor back. Tried 85kg. Got a decent rep :) )

Tonight I’m off for a circuits class at the gym. Should be a killa! 🤓
  • TheHobbit2017
    Options
    Today’s 5x5 attempt:

Squats 65kg 5x5
    Bench 37.5kg 5x5
    Row 45kg 5,5,5,4,4
    Deadlift with hex/trap bar 67.5kg x 5, 77.5kg x 5, 82.5kg x 2 :)
  • krokador
    Options
    Haven't reported my past few workouts. Things have been busy, as per usual, haha.

Saturday

This one was called the "Triple Peak", let me tell you, it's a doozy!

For time (and quality), complete 2, 4, 6, 4, 2, 4, 6, 8, 6, 4, 2, 4, 6, 4, 2 reps of double KB
    - Deadlifts
    - swings
    - front squats
    - thrusters

sets of 2 were decent, 4 was a good "I could keep doing this without too much rest" at the start. The first 6 was legit unbroken. The second one I had to rest up a bit. The 8 I was holding the bells by my side for a bit before finishing the thrusters and the squats were slow. It all went downhill from there. Lol. I think the whole thing took about 26 minutes to complete with a set of double 30s.

I also climbed some ropes (need to get ready for my next OCR) and did like 2k on the rower that day. I was on a roll!

Sunday

Not gonna lie, I wasn't feeling great. It was a 24 min AMRAP of the following stuff:

- 10 strict pull-ups (I did them assisted and in sets of 4, then 3, then 2 and 1s xD(
    - 8 2KB front squats
    - 6 2KB strict press
    - 4 deadlifts @ 165lbs (it said 75% of 1RM, which would've been around 180lbs for me, but 165 felt heavy enough, also, see next move)
    - 2 box jumps @ 20' (yea, wasn't going to get near max deadlift before attempting to not break my shins for good xD)

The first round was done with 20lbs KBs, and then I was like "nope, too easy compared to the pull-ups!" and went for 2x25lbs.

I got 5 rounds and like 3 strict presses by the cap, and decided to finish that 6th round. And I was just done. I probably then proceeded to eat a pound of cheese and chips during the day, lol.

Yesterday was a full on rest day. I needed it.

And I went for a 35 mins or so jog this morning. And it was so humid I got all yucky sweaty. Stupid heatwave.

• mustb60
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Sorry about no show. Some family problems and seems this week I can't go to the gym. Doing bodyweight exercises when I can find time. Meanwhile will live vicariously through you guys! ;) Keep up the great job!!
  • TheHobbit2017
    Options
    Today’s numbers:

Squats 67.5kg - 3,3,5,5,3 (suddenly got easier midway),
    OHP 25.5kg - 5x5
    Deadlifts 80kg - 1x4

Added accessories to the app today:
    Ez bar curl 20kg 6,5 (8 rep aim)
    Seated calf raise 20kg - 2x8
    Pull ups (green band) -8,5,6
  • krokador
    Options
    Looks like the hills did me in a bit for today, as my squats felt like crap and i almost failed my last warm-up set @135 O_o

The workout:

Every 2 mins x20 mins
    1- Back squat x5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (135, 140, 145, 155, 170)
    2- Pull-ups (band assisted, submax reps) 5, 4, added some resistance, 8, 7, 7

Then I did 5 rounds of
    -1 lying rope climb
    - 2 back squat with a mild jump at the top @135 (I was unhappy with how my squats went xD)
    - 3 push-ups on DB
    - 4 DB Push press 2x20lbs

Added in some double unders and hammer curls, and this happened:

(I also got a set of 25 unbroken, but did not record that one)

DOUBLE UNDERS ARE COMING ALONG!!!
  • krokador
    Options
    Today was more of a strength focus day, and it's good cuz I didn't have a ton of energy. It was hard to wake up at 5. Storms kept me up last night :/

every 90s x 5 rounds of each
    - 3 strict barbell OHP (75, 77.5, 80, 80, 82.5 all good)
    - 10 KB american swings @40lbs (these were... a bit too easy. And the program said to use 35lbs, too O_o)
    - 1 KB front rack big lunge static hold x30s / side w/ 20lbs KB

I took 2 min of rest then realized program said 1, ah well...

2 min AMRAP of sit-outs: got 25/side

I tried to do a bit of rope jumping but my rope slipped out of the handle and broke my stride and I just couldn't get it back.

I stupidly threw a somewhat ripe banana into my backpack this morning. It is a mush now. I'm spoon-eating it with my shake, and mushy bananas have a texture that make them hard to eat. Yuck.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Heeeeeyyyyy long time no post. I've been to the gym somewhat sporadically and haven't bothered to post because it was so inconsistent. But I had good reason....cause you know, morning sickness really does a number on your energy and motivation. So, I'm 14 weeks pregnant and finally starting to regain a little energy. Hopefully I can get back to a regular routine during the second trimester, and as much as I can do in the third.

unfortunately, I think squats will be off the menu for the duration of my pregnancy. They're bothering my hips right now, and flaring up some hip pain that I experienced during the second half of my first pregnancy. It's too early to be dealing with that crap, so if squats aggravate it, they're out. Deadlifts are fortunately still feeling good, even though I'm staying a bit lighter. You should see the look on every OB's face when you ask about lifting heavy while preggo. :o

So today:

Deadlifts 6/6/4 @ 115/130/140
    Squats (last set for awhile) 1x4 @ 105. Just not worth aggravating my hips this early.
    KB swings w/20 lb bell 3x20
    Elliptical 15 min

• TheHobbit2017
    Options
    Couldn’t sleep so got today’s 5x5 in early:

Squats 67.5kg - 5x5 (want to nail form so repeating again)
    Bench 40kg - 5x5
    Row 45kg - 4,5,5,5,4 (only counted ones with bang on form - think I really need a deload but don’t want to sell myself short)

Accessories:
    Green banded dips - 10,10,10,
    Skull crushers just the ez bar (8kg) - 8,8
    Planks 30s x 3
  • krokador
    Options
    More running in the books, because OCR comin' up (and also, I'm like, trying to lose weight for real right now xD I'm even tracking!). Short and sweet runkeeper intervals.

4 mins "fast" (it went faster the more I got into it, because I stupidly spent my 5 mins "warmup" by, like, actually warming up my body, instead of going at a slow jog like some people seem to think warming up is supposed to be xD -- yeah, I should do both next time, lol)

- 2 mins slow
    - 3 mins fast
    - 1.5 min slow
    - 2 mins fast
    - 1 min slow
    - 1 min fast
    - 30s slow + 5 minutes "cooldown"

Then I kinda ran a bit uphill to try to get to the 3km mark. In, like, 27 minutes? That is with barely making 100m in the first 5 mins, btw.

and I futzed around with some weights at home. 1-arm KB high pulls x10/side, 1 arm KB floor press x10, push-ups on DBs + deadlifts 7-5-3. And I tried some 1DB overhead squats and couldn't quite reach depth. They TOUGH!

I'm ready for the bodyweight gauntlet tomorrow! Zwee!
  • TheHobbit2017
    Options
    Yesterday’s 5x5 session :smile:

Squats 67.5kg - 4x5 stopped short of 5th set as form on all was awful. A real off day for me so I’ve decided on a deload to 60kg for next session.

OHP 26.5kg 5x5

Deadlifts 60kg 1x5, 70kg 1x5 & 80kg 1x5

Ez bar curls 20kg - 8,6
    Seated calf raises 25kg - 10,10
    Green band pull ups - 10,10,6

Then some foam rolling for my poorly calf that keeps playing up
  • krokador
    Options
    Whew! Quite weekend I had

Saturday lifting:

3 min AMRAPs with 1 min rest between each:
    - push-ups (30)
    - bw squat (62 - yes, that is awfully low. I ran on friday, tho)
    - band-assisted pull-ups (24? I think?)
    - burpees (27)

400m run: 2:18 -- treadmills make it hard to really push the pace. I started too slow and couldn't catch up with it.

3 min REST or so, into 3 min AMRAP of barbell power clean & press @75 : I got 24 reps I believe.

overall, not a great performance. I hadn't had an actual rest day all week tho, so I decided to take Sunday off... after I went kayaking for close to an hour during the afternoon xD

So yeah, yesterday I did do a 45 min romwod and took a 30 min walk.

Today I decided to dub "Plate cardio"

every 2 mins for 20 mins total (10 rounds)

- 1 deadlift - 185lbs
    - 2 power cleans - did 3 rounds at 105, rest at 95
    - 3 front squats - I think I did 115 for 4 rounds and 105 for the rest?
    - 4 push press - 85 for first 2 rounds, 75 for the rest
    - 5 pull-ups (i did them with the bar in the rack, leg assisted)

I missed pull-ups on round 4 and 9. Entirely missed round 6. Had 2 bars (1 for deadlifts, 1 for the rest) and I was just constantly switching plates and trying to do the math in my head and it was a whole lot of confusion haha. Fun one, tho! Would use a 3rd bar if I was to do it again.

I also did a set of 21 and 25 unbroken double-unders at the end. But I'm going to stop practicing til Saturday. MY ankles can't seem to take all that pressure :/
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Upper body day:

Bench press 5/3/1+ (2) @ 70/75/80
    OHP 5/5/5 @ 57/62/67
    Seated rows 10/10/10 @ 70
    Triceps cable pulldowns 10/10/10 @ 30
    Facepulls 10/10/10 @ 40/45/45

I had to modify my arch some because my SI joints are constantly irritated, and a big arch makes them super inflamed. So tiny baby just-to-recruit-the-lats arch it is for the time being. I imagine at some point I'll have to switch to incline or dumbbell presses, but for now laying on my back is fine.
  • TheHobbit2017
    Options
    Yesterday’s 5x5 (now strictly only counting reps that have perfect form 🤓)

Squats 60kg - 5,4,5,5,8
    Bench 40kg - 5x5
    Row 40kg - 5,5,5,5,7

Dips (green band 45kg assist) - 12
    Dips (orange band 35kg assist) - 5,5,3

Skull crushers 10kg ez bar - 8,8

Plank 35s holds x 3
  • krokador
    Options
    I seem to be reporting every 3 days or so lately, haha.

I did go to the gym on Tuesday. Was a little beat up and it showed. I started out with some snatch practice. My idea was to work up to a heavy rep, but some guy I've been seeing more and more at the gym came over to me and told me I was pulling too early / not making contact at the right spot and I decided to hear him out and tried a few different things to see if I could fix that.

I had to strip down weight some to play around with it, so it reduced the amount of time I had to build up. As it turns out, my grip was too narrow (we're talking an extra inch and maybe more on both sides), probably because at one point i was protecting my shoulder, so my point of contact was too low and it made it harder to keep the weight in a straight line.

My last rep was at 90lbs, and it felt like I lifted 75. I think I may now have a new PR in me :)

The conditioning piece was meant to be sprint-style, but I am so inefficient and was so beat up that it became kind of a grinder with minimal rest

every 4 mins x 5
    - 10 alternating DB snatches @ 45lbs
    - 15 HR Push-ups (I did 15/12/10/10/10)
    - 10 burpee broad jumps (4th round was only 8. I couldn't jump anymore and needed some extra rest)

averaged around 3:15 for each, I think. The push-ups really slowed me down, and in retrospect I prolly shoulda gone a bit lighter on the DB snatches.

Took yesterday as a full rest day. Wasn,t my original plan, but I felt like crap and was too tired.

Zombie-ran this morning, 5k in 42 minutes. The chases ended up being super steep uphill so I had to stop and catch a breather on both of them, hence the terribad pace.
  • mustb60
    Options
    After so many days, resuming from where I left.
    I thought flu might have weaken my system but it wasn't so. Sailed through Squat, Deadlift and OHP smoothly though Bulgarian split kicked my @$$ again.
    August Weightlifting
    Goal: 3 times/ week
    Wk1: 1 ~Wk2: 0~ Wk3: 1 ~Wk4:
    Done 2/12

Wk3
    15/8/18 Squat/OP/Deadlift √
    Squat 5×5 29.5 kg 65 lbs
    OP 5×5 24.5 kg 54 lbs
    Dead lift 5×2 47.5 kg 104.7 lbs
    Bulgarian split squat 10×3 10 kg
    Pull down 10×3 15 kg
    Cable row 10×3 15 kg