Nursing, trying to lose weight, and not starve... anyone else?

Options
LBeth2
LBeth2 Posts: 3 Member
I'm breastfeeding my 3 month old, and have been starving since he was born! I've been eating whatever I want up til this point. I decided today is the day I will try to lose the rest of my baby weight, but I'm worried I'm gonna be starving and cranky. Anyone in the same boat that wants to be friends and motivate each other?

Replies

• jaalalewis
    jaalalewis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about my 2 month old. He’s my 3rd and I weighed the most with him. Is there anyway to have the MyFitnessPal app adjust for breastfeeding moms since we do need more calories than most?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your LO!

I always set my calories to maintenance and let breastfeeding create my deficit.
  • kgamble_11
    kgamble_11 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm starting tracking calories tomorrow as my little girl turns 6 months this week. That's the time I gave myself to focus just on family, healing my body and breastfeeding. I did 2 weeks of tracking around 4 months PP and lost about 3kg but I realized I wasnt ready physically or emotionally. My supply wasnt holding up so I decided to take a bit more time.

A few years ago I lost 18kg tracking my food and exercise so I'm confident that it works for me when I'm committed. I used it again after my son 2 years ago to lose the last of the pregnancy weight but I had a lot less to lose then. The thing that I found was that I needed to make sure the food I was eating was really nutrient dense and to eat small meals/snacks all day. I adjust my calories by about 250-350 to account for the breastfeeding.
  • gad8803
    gad8803 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat, trying to at least get my weight down enough to fit my wedding ring. I am super worried about losing my milk supply though.
  • stacie917
    stacie917 Posts: 557 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    http://fittobepregnant.com/pregnancy-breastfeeding-calorie-calculator/
    You can use this to get an idea of what to eat to maintain your weight and she has advice on how to lose without diminishing your supply, as well. I just have mine set to maintain on MFP and have this number in my head as a acceptable higher target if I am hungrier than my maintenance. So far it is working. I did intuitive eating with my first and just stayed heavier than I was happy to and then regretted that once I got pregnant again and had a toddler to chase after.
  • stacie917
    stacie917 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I see now this is from last year, but hey.
  • coccolino30
    coccolino30 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello, I see there's not much activity on this group, but I hope to find friends for support from mums who are in the same boat. I am 10 weeks postpartum with my second baby and breastfeeding and I have decided to start logging the food and exercise a little as I was gaining weight. I am overweight, 188.7 pounds and 5.6 height, I should lose about 14pounds to get back to my second pre pregnancy weight and another 35 from my first pregnancy. I breast feed with my first too and never lost any weight, I actually put some more kg in the first year. I don't want that to happen, so please add me if you are on the same journey.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Congratulations on your LO!

I always set my calories to maintenance and let breastfeeding create my deficit.

This is what I am doing right now! Funny I wrote this when I wasn't pregnant with #3 yet and now he is 3 months old :p
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Same problem here, I am just so hungry. I only started logging my food about 4 weeks ago, and I'm still not losing lol. I will try lowering my calories a little and see how it goes. I'm currently at 2300! I haven't lost any weight since my initial drop right after giving birth 4 months ago. According to my happy scale app I'm losing at a rate of like .15 lbs a week :D Slow and steady I guess.