The men who made us thin - starts BBC2 8 August

Options
farway
farway Posts: 1,264 Member
In case you have not spotted it, starting tonight, 8th August, on BBC2 at 2100 is a new 4 part series about all sorts of diet business, why they fail, who makes the money etc. Details on BBC2 web site or TV listing mag perhaps

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Thanks.
  • shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    ive got it programmed in too, interested
  • FlabFighter86
    FlabFighter86 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thought this would interest some people as it is on a similar topic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23463006

I was rather shocked when I read it. But I guess it makes sense... Even more glad I found MFP.
  • lyndyloolaa
    lyndyloolaa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Looking forward to catching this, looks interesting!
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    There's also The men who made us fat tonight too, same channel - 11.20pm.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    What a terrible programme that was. The whole premise "why diets don't work" was set out in the first few minutes,and (typically of the BBC) was totally one-sided.

Some diets do work. Weight watchers for example is a great way of getting your eating under control. And I know far too many people who have kept weight off after WW for it to be dismissed as a fad.

Slim fast is a great breakfast substitute if you are dashing out of the door,

Very disappointed, but not surprised. Typical BBC.
  • BigBigBertha
    BigBigBertha Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I was also not impressed - nothing new, and I felt the presenter was very insincere; perhaps more interested in putting his name to some confrontational interviews rather engaging in proper intelligent debate.

I've never done Weight Watchers myself (and I highly disagree with their food products) but it didn't seem right that he grouped them in with Slim Fast etc. when as far as I understand they advocate a balanced diet and long term change to healthy habits.

I found the statistics on regaining weight after 5 years very scary indeed, but it also made me more determined to be one of those people still maintaining in years to come!
  • plantboy2
    plantboy2 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think it also promoted a "what is the point" type attitude to an audience that was probably looking for insightful direction in trying to lose weight:

BBC (in first 2 minutes): "Hey, Diets don't work, ain't I clever?"

Public: "Diets don't work - great - so what should people focus on?"

BBC: "No, wait - DIETS DON'T WORK, big business is making loads of money from peoples' misery and lost hope. "

"Ok, I get it, so what should people do instead?"

"Diets don't work, people will stay fat and get fatter"

Thanks BBC.

He mixed up physiological responses and psychological responses also, making out like people gained weight faster after diets because of metabolism/physiology, when in fact it was a psychological response to being starved. He didn't make it clear that people only gain weight if they consume more calories than they use. The Slimfast guy was actually more on the ball than him about that.

Plantboy rating of 2 stars: Shodding reporting on a complex problem in society without any real insight.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    He mixed up physiological responses and psychological responses also, making out like people gained weight faster after diets because of metabolism/physiology, when in fact it was a psychological response to being starved.

I agree with the rest of your post but there is a physiological response - very poorly explained in the programme. It has to do with empty fat cells. When you lose weight the cells don't go away, they sit there, hungry, very hungry and are a contributing factor to weight rebound.

I'm really happy to see someone talking about this one. I started one on the main boards but everyone seems to prefer the one that blames sugar (Men Who Made Us Fat).

But the one thing any dieter needs to take from this, and the programme did at least hint at this during the Minnesota Project section, is that a diet is not a quick thing or a temporary thing. Once you are overweight your journey back to a healthy weight will have to last a lifetime. So make sure you love the plan you choose.
  • ruwise
    ruwise Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I think it was spot on. Diets don't work. Just the thought that you are on a diet supposes there will come a time when you will be off a diet. I did Weight Watchers and am one of the people who ended up even more overweight. This time something has clicked for me I'm not on a diet I am changing my lifestyle for life. I eat only at a small deficit and I will lose slowly but when I reach my goal I will be continuing to eat exactly as I have done to lose the weight.

Most of the diets including weight watchers do make you eat at a deficit that makes you feel like you've been missing out and does lead to that binge mentality. The ex-finance director was correct. If it was a successful programme they'd be a less successful programme.

I also find it shocking that food companies are buying these companies. It is a bit of a bare faced cheek to be part of the problem and then sell you the solution as well. It puts them in a win/win situation.
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I saw this tonight and thought it was a wasted opportunity to produce a program that wasn't just an attempt to undermine anything to do with the diet industry. I think the slimfast guy summed it up and was spot on that it is the people who fail and not the products.
  • BEEUK
    BEEUK Posts: 113
    Options
    I'm gonna catch this on iPlayer tonight. Won't be surprised if i end up shouting at the TV!
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    Well I disagree with the program, and weight watchers, and slimfast.

They are not sustainable ways to live your life, and you should realise they are just trying to make as much money as they can.

It doesn't matter if SOME have been successful - it is definitely not the way to go about learning better eating habits and about food, etc.
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I watched both programmes ie 'The men who made us thin' and 'The men who made us fat. I thought both series were well done and made a number of valid points. Whether or not we agree with the points made we can at least agree that increased awareness is no bad thing and in that the programmes achieved their purpose. If we take away the message that we all need to eat more healthily and get some more exercise we will have made some progress. Focusing on one element to the exclusion of others is questionable. Aiming for a change of lifestyle with increased awareness of the harm which some additives in our food can create must surely be a good thing. Being aware of the subtlies of advertising and it's near cousin merchandising will enable us to make better choices in the future. It's no bad thing to be empowered with improved knowledge.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    For those who missed it, Episode 3: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0392hvt
  • thegeordielass
    thegeordielass Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Anybody else watch this today? Something about the presenter has wound me up each time I've watched it!

I agree with the doign more to influence children - I did the cook badge with my Guides which involves talking about healthy foods and 95% had no clue whatsoever. It was worrying. Some even bragged about not eating any fruit or veg and claimed McD was a healthy meal as it has lettuce in it! The idea of eating 5 portions of fruit/veg a day seemed like an alien concept and they can't even imagine getting 1 or 2 portions in without counting sweetened fruit juice things.

I think the closing statement was wrong though. Healthy eating and exercise will work for 99.9% of people - you just have to relearn habits and stick to it for life. It's not a quick fix like most want which will magically keep the weight off.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    It was interesting, but I didn't agree with all of it, the second programme about exercise particularly. He starts off at a Spinning class and then decides after a few minutes he can't be bothered and tells the audience that you can't lose weight through exercise - very motivating. No, you can't do it through a little bit of exercise, but a good amount of exercise and balanced diet WILL work but he didn't seem to care about promoting that, just discouraging people from bothering to exercise as you'll fail anyway.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It's a pity he is so lazy in his presentation. Much of what he says is true, e.g. the exercise thing, but as he presents it is utter hollyhocks. He simply doesn't explain what he means, just says 'this is so' and moves on. How is anyone supposed to pick out the opinionated tut from the current scientific viewpoint?

I should be able to (given what I do for a living) but, to be perfectly honest, he just annoyed and confuzzled me. I spent most of the time trying to match his soundbites to the science he should have been referring to to make his points properly! Made the whole thing a very poor watch.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just watched Part 4. So it seems I have to eat healthy food to lose weight. :laugh:
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Just watched Part 4. So it seems I have to eat healthy food to lose weight. :laugh:

Yep, for us on MFP no surprise, but from the programmes it seems many think they can eat pie & chips every meal, do half an hour in a gym once a week and all will be well