New and Struggling

Options
Hey there. New to this group but not to MFP. Struggling with going gluten free, and looking for friends and tips. Every time I am doing well lately I get sick by accidentally eating something that I thought was safe. It was mayo this time. Figured its time I find a group because my partner and I are trying to figure out how to work around my new dietary needs.
If anyone wants to be friends, or knows any good resources, I appreciate it.
Thanks <3

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I think that any celiac site might be helpful for you as far as educational resources. I personally haven't heard of mayo having gluten but maybe you're talking about another type of sensitivity. There are fantastic FB groups, too, for recipes and gluten free living. Just stick to it and don't be discouraged. It's a long journey and consistency and persistence win every time in weight and health.
  • CommanderEmily
    CommanderEmily Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I think that any celiac site might be helpful for you as far as educational resources. I personally haven't heard of mayo having gluten but maybe you're talking about another type of sensitivity. There are fantastic FB groups, too, for recipes and gluten free living. Just stick to it and don't be discouraged. It's a long journey and consistency and persistence win every time in weight and health.

Out of the rest of the meal, I don't know what would have done it. I don't have any dairy allergies. I started paying for an app after that you can scan or search a product and it tells you based on ingredients if it has it or is a risk, and the mayo was the only one that said it had it. I didn't think mayo could do that. Last time it happened it was the chicken salad at my work, the next day I checked the label and it said it had breadcrumbs in it for whatever reason. :( I really hope I don't have any other issues or sensitivities. The longer I go without any incidents and eating well, it seems like the worse it gets when I miss something on a label. Its hard not to feel really down sometimes, but I definitely can't go backwards even if I wanted to. My health was causing problems at work and impacting my life at home.
    I don't go on facebook much, but I will have to check that out.
    I am watching my calorie intake, but I'm just trying to focus on learning what I can and can't eat now and making better choices.
    Thank you for the encouragement and advice.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @CommanderEmily, it's pretty important to read labels before you eat something. Also don't forget that gluten free food can be contaminated by a dirty (with crumbs etc) knife or spoon. Most Celiacs have separate condiment jars to avoid this. It is also easier if you pick simple less processed foods to eat or check out menus ahead of time at restaurants and phone them if necessary to be certain they understand what preparing gluten free food entails. There are quite a few good recipe sites online and bloggers too. Good luck.
  • annk18
    annk18 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Depending on where you live, there are a number of gluten free support groups and or Celiac groups. Even if you can't attend meetings, their websites are usually full of useful information. Members are usually very willing to answer any questions.
    Good luck on your journey. The road will probably be bumpy but the end results will be health.
  • CommanderEmily
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @CommanderEmily, it's pretty important to read labels before you eat something. Also don't forget that gluten free food can be contaminated by a dirty (with crumbs etc) knife or spoon. Most Celiacs have separate condiment jars to avoid this. It is also easier if you pick simple less processed foods to eat or check out menus ahead of time at restaurants and phone them if necessary to be certain they understand what preparing gluten free food entails. There are quite a few good recipe sites online and bloggers too. Good luck.

:/ space cadet that I am checked the original mayo I was holding, and then my partner pointed out a bigger one from another and at a lower unit price and without thinking I put it in my cart. I felt really stupid after. Its been a slow learning process for me, learning what exactly gluten was and what it appears as on labels. And regularly reminding myself to always read and always ask. And I had no idea at first that cross contamination could be an issue, I found that out recently with another oopsie at work. I have narrowed down a list of things I can safely have at work without breaking any rules (basically an americano with plain cream, and prewrapped gluten free sweet breads) and am packing lunches.

I just started seeing that issue with condiments. I opened a butter to find it imbedded with bread crumbs. Should I actually be worried about toasters? I haven't used the toaster in a while (finding a good bread has been a disheartening journey) but I was told that is a problem?

I am super lucky to have a pizza place and an italian place that do an amazing job providing gluten free items and understand cross contamination. I haven't gotten sick yet. I mostly avoid going out to eat because of the worry. I can't live my life trapped inside a bathroom, and it really kills a night out if that happens. I hadn't thought of calling ahead. Thank you
  • CommanderEmily
    Options
    annk18 wrote: »
    Depending on where you live, there are a number of gluten free support groups and or Celiac groups. Even if you can't attend meetings, their websites are usually full of useful information. Members are usually very willing to answer any questions.
    Good luck on your journey. The road will probably be bumpy but the end results will be health.

Thank you, I didn't think to look for a local group. I live in northwest Ohio so the nearest ones are probably too far but you are right, maybe there is a site I can check out or something.
  • canadjineh
    edited August 2018
    Options
    A few people I know have separate toasters. And yup, it's pretty important. You can make a toaster pocket from (oven) parchment paper like an envelope if there is a suspect toaster. I actually have special Toasta-bags, but the company that made them is no longer in business :(

Also, don't forget to check your makeup and body care products (thickening/volumizing shampoos or conditioners and curly hair products often have wheat proteins in them, as can some lipsticks, etc.) Avon has some certified GF skin cleansers and moisturizers - "Nutraeffects" Hypoallergenic, dermatologist tested, dye/paraben/gluten free. I use them, but you do have to watch - their 'Extra Lasting' lipsticks and makeup do have wheat protein in them. I used to use Fekkai Curl Conditioner until I read the label closer EEK! Too bad it worked so well with my curly hair. :(
  • SlytherPuff4Life
    SlytherPuff4Life Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    As far as eating at work goes... It is best to bring your own food from home. Either make things yourself or look for gluten free store items. Sometimes finding gluten free products can be tough. I have a grocery store right near my place, but their selection isn't great, so I travel to the next town over where the grocery store has gluten free items EVERYWHERE and are very clearly labeled. It makes it much easier to shop, even if I have to travel a little further.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    There is often a 1-800 number on the side of packaging you can call with any questions. I've done that a few times while in a store while considering purchase of an item.
  • JaniceVACPA
    JaniceVACPA Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Also consider cross contamination....if someone dipped a knife in the mayo container, spread the mayo on bread, then put that same knife back in the mayo jar, odds are some bread crumbs got in the mayo. That enough to get me sick.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,620 Member
    Options
    Well shoot, I cleaned up my diet and use "vegan" and "natural" beauty products but sounds like I'd better start going through stuff! What does it cause topically for you? I'm allergic to a lot of topical things so I mostly use essential oils already but didn't think of gluten causing my breakouts.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    Well shoot, I cleaned up my diet and use "vegan" and "natural" beauty products but sounds like I'd better start going through stuff! What does it cause topically for you? I'm allergic to a lot of topical things so I mostly use essential oils already but didn't think of gluten causing my breakouts.

I get the usual sort of pimply breakout, around my mouth and jaw edge no matter what product it is (hair or makeup) as well as the usual celiac problems (gut, joint pain, asthma, etc.)
    Be careful too, as you can be allergic to pure plant oils as well. Remember the plant usually produces these compounds to protect itself from hungry herbivores...

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,620 Member
    Options
    It's so frustrating doing all these eliminations because there's always something ELSE to be allergic to, as humans it's impossible to not have confounding variables that can't be controlled. I think that's what drives me craziest. The breakouts could be topical, hormonal, or from food so which is it?!

Great point about plant oils, I don't spray my grass and am super allergic to it. My legs are okay with natural oils thank goodness, I use a lot of natural stuff to help with nerve pain.