ultra crew

Options
mbaker566
mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
so i'm working on my marathon training but really it's a pit stop. i've wanted to do ultras since i found they were a thing. we have 50k-100milers in my area

and i'm reading articles to keep me motivated. powerhiking, gear, etc.

but this is my issue. i'm a solo runner. i don't run with a group, i don't see the same people, spreading my runs around. the only ones i run with are my dogs (as the distance allows).
my question is how do i find a crew. none of my friends are runners. my only family member that runs is half a country away. i've got plenty of time to consider this and find a resolution. i'm a planner though and it's been buzzing around in my head

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I have yet to race an ultra, but have always wondered the same thing for the same reason. I'm not sure I even would need a crew. I've run barely beyond a marathon distance on my own and plan to continue to build mileage such that I'll be running those longer distances (upwards of 50M+) by the end of this year or next year on my own about once or twice per week.

What I do now is carry a pack containing my glucometer and glucose tablets (I have type 1 diabetes), water bottles, and electrolyte tablets. Plus a rain jacket if I might need it and whatever else I need to bring (wallet, car key, phone). This works in urban environments where I have access to water from fountains or sinks in public restrooms, or can get water at convenience stores. I have a different pack with a 3L hydration reservoir for when I'm on trails. If I will need more than the 3L of water, I bring a filter to get water from streams, lakes, etc. Often on trails, I'm also bringing a medical kit of various sizes / stock... but if I come upon someone injured, I will likely improvise with items from their pack if possible and whatever limited items I happen to have in mine. I'm a WFR, by the way.

So my "support" is what I carry with me or can access at convenience stores (if in urban environment). This has worked for me on 5+ hr. runs. With races, I would expect that I'm going to replace the convenience store with aid stations to re-supply water. For an ultra, I'm not sure who I would get for a pacer nor am I convinced that they add enough value to go through the trouble to find someone to do that. There is an additional feature with longer races that I do not have when on my own - and that is drop bags. Especially if it is a trail with water crossings (even if not), a dry pair of socks and shoes plus some additional supplies that I won't have to carry the whole time would be useful.
  • mbaker566
    Options
    i had forgotten about drop bags. i've seen them at the ultras. that could work as many of the nearby races are multiple loops.
    it would be a good re-purpose for all those bags i get at registrations.

for destination ultras, do crews travel together? are there local crews for rent? or do they make use of the drop bag method? and if they do, is there a map of suggested drops or are aid stations used?
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I have run several ultras. I run and train alone and I have never been in a running group or had a running partner. I follow the the advice and routines in "Relentless Forward Progress". Most 50k races do not permit drop bags or pacers unless the course is particularly challenging. I have used drop bags in 2 50ks and one 50M. They take a fair amount of planning, but I usually focus on fresh shoes and dry socks (the longer, more difficult courses almost always have multiple water crossings). I also pack warmer clothes and any special food I may want that might not be available at the aid station where my drop bag is. I do not beleive that I would want or need a pacer at the 50M distance, but it might be nice if I would ever tackle a 100K or 100M. I have crewed and been a pacer for my brother and a couple of his friends doing 100M races.
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Races that permit drop bags have them at specific aid stations at specific mileages... and they usually designate what aid stations you are permitted to have a crew.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    I found my pacers online, through running FB groups in the area. For my 100k, my first ultra, I had crew (buddy from work) and a pacer. In hindsight, the pacer wasn't really necessary for that race, but having my crew was great. I fueled exclusively with Tailwind, and my buddy had freshly filled bottles at each AS, so I literally just slowed down enough to swap, and kept going.

For my 50k, no crew, and definitely no pacer, since pretty much no race under 100k allows pacers. No problem at all.

For my 100 mile, No crew, but I did have a pacer. This is where a pacer is really handy, when youv'e been running for close to a day, it's nice to have someone along who's fresh, to bacicallt be your frontal lobe. Again, no crew, the course was a 16.7 mile loop, and I just had 1 drop bag at yhe Start/finish and refilled with enough Tailwind, when I got there.

For my 50, again, no pacer, no crew, not that pacers were allowed (see above). It was absolutely no issue at all.

I didn't do much pre-planning for my races, other than the 100, and I made a spreadsheet of what was going to go into my Drop bag.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Your crew doesn't need to be runners. They just need to be reliable. My wife has crewed me for dozens of Ultras, and she doesn't run. (She's active, but not a runner.) After at least ten years, I did buy her a finishers jacket. I figured she'd earned it.

totally this. My buddy who crewed me wasn't a runner. It just needs to be someone who understands you and knows when to be comforting or to kick your *kitten*
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Just another note. I ran the Superior 50 this past weekend (52 miles) I had no crew and no drop bags, just a couple refills of Tailwind in my vest. For races under 100k, I think that crew/pacers/drop bags really aren't necessary
  • mbaker566
    edited September 2018
    Options

hopefully next year this weekend i'll be doing the North Face Endurance challenge
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

hopefully next year this weekend i'll be doing the North Face Endurance challenge

Cool. Kettle is a great area, from what I've heard from friends.