Business travel

Options
jenlovesdonuts
jenlovesdonuts Posts: 2 Member
edited August 2018 in Social Groups
What are your tips for traveling and eating well while on the road for work?

For me, when I was a road warrior in my previous career, I found myself on the road every week, living out of hotels and restaurants. Wine was a staple for my dinners. The pounds quickly added up onto my body.

So, I started to dial-in some things, most notably:
1. Ask to have a fridge placed in your hotel room before your arrival.
2. Upon arrival, go straight to the grocery store and pick up some fresh fruit, snacks, and a gallon or two of water to stay hydrated.
3. Stay hydrated. Bring your reusable water bottle to keep the water topped off throughout the day.
4. Eat a lean protein at every meal.
5. Start your day strong with a heathy breakfast. Example: Ask for an egg white omelette, with no or low oil for breakfast. Include all the veggies in the eggs.
6. Try to pack a lunch when you go into the office on your business trip, or at least make a sensible choice at a local restaurant. To choose the best meal: select a lean protein (fish, seafood, chicken breast, turkey, lean cut of steak, etc.), some veggies that are cooked with less oil or butter, and a smart carb choice (such as brown or wild rice, sweet potato, etc.). You don't have to worry too much about including a fat in those restaurant meals because the fat is usually already included in their preferred cooking method (oil, etc.). Go easy on the bread basket and butter. ;)
7. Try to look at restaurant menus in advance in order to plan your meal. If you don't have the time to look at the menu beforehand, that's okay -- just follow the steps above to select the healthiest meal.
8. Don't treat your business trip like vacation. It's not vacation. It's still your every day living, just in a different city, state, or country. Choose wisely and make the "better" choices at each meal.
9. Try to move a little every day during your trip. This can include something as small as a walk, taking the stairs, or starting your morning off with a quick hotel room bodyweight workout of squats, plank, mountain climbers, pushups, etc. The options are endless. Just move every day.
10. Enjoy the moment. Eat slowly, set your eating utensil down between bites, and don't eat until you're stuffed. Instead, try to eat slowly and eat until you're about 80% full. What does 80% full feel like? Try it out and see; it's different for everyone.

Enjoy your trip!
Coach Jen
Meru Wellness