Emotional Eating Food Diary/Journal

Rocky_Runa
Rocky_Runa Posts: 140 Member
Hi Everyone!!

I was listening to a recommended podcast the other day and heard about an emotional eating food diary/journal. I have probably done something similar to this in my many stints with weight loss programs and yet, when I heard the person talking, it was as if it was a whole new concept. I was wondering if anyone else in this group has ever kept or currently keeps such a diary/journal and if it has been or is helpful at all. There are a myriad of examples on the internet and I thought I would ask here if anyone uses a particular style and, if so, what do you find the pros and cons of the style you use.

The speaker stated that 80% of weight issues are really what we are eating and why - self medicating, emotional eating, etc. I thought it was very interesting and feel like I might give it a try. Maybe even if it is just making notes in my food journal here on MFP.

Hope you all are well! ~ Runa

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,982 Member
    Its an interesting concept! though I have to admit that I'm too disorganized to be able to keep up with something like that - I have enough trouble just keeping my food logged in here.....

I know food is a comfort for me, though, and lately I've had a terrible time with cravings - my brain is pushing me to browse even though I know I've had enough food. I'll eat, but my brain keeps wanting me to keep reaching for more, even after I have finished my plate. Last Sunday, my church had a big church dinner, and I basically fell completely off the wagon and ate until I actually had finally hit the "full" meter on my brain. I was really appalled at how much food it took to finally hit that point - and then the fact that I was hungry again in 4 hours!
  • Rocky_Runa
    Rocky_Runa Posts: 140 Member
    I know the feeling!! My insomnia has my internal clock way off. Hard to stick to “daily” routines when you fall asleep at 6-8 AM and sometimes don’t crawl out of bed until about 5 PM. My peak hunger time is between 12 - 2 AM... not the best!!

I have begun to write times I eat in my food notes. I am experimenting with meals/snack times and hope I can figure something out for myself.

One thought that helped me was a blog article about the 3 - hour reset that one person used. If she fell off the wagon, she’d “reset” in 3 hours. Not consider the whole day shot and plan to restart the next day like many do... or more than one day in my case 😑