It's a tender set of sore muscles we got!

Options
krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
Puns with september are hard, dude!

I gotta say I am pretty happy with my past 2 sessions

Saturday

Work up to a heavy barbell snatch
75, 85, 90, 95, 100 all OK, failed 105 twice. Stripped down to 85 again and hit it, then went to 102.5 and made it! It's my old PR, so no new record but I'll take it.

Then I did an every 2 min x 20 minutes of:
- OHP x3 (80, 82.5x3, 85 on the last set)
- assisted pull-ups x7/6/5/5/8

followed by a 3min AMRAP of barbell thrusters @ 55lbs (I think i got 23?)

and an EMOTM x6 of push-ups with double-unders in the rest periods (2 rounds were literally 1 and 2 jumps because my shoulders were smoked!)

Sunday

Today I warmed up my clean and moved straight into every 90s x 5 rounds total of
- 5 touch and go power cleans @95lbs
- 10 2DB front rack squat @ 2x30lbs
- inch worm to push-ups x8/8/7/7/8

1 min rest into a 3 min AMRAP of KB american swings, of which I got 20/15/15/15 = 65
My shoulders were dead again after this.

I've had this idea to do something on the rower on sundays for the past few weeks, and I did it last week, so today I went with 25, 20, 15, 10, 5 for time of
- calories row
- wall balls @12lbs

Literally collapsed to the floor upon finishing. Neither my legs nor arms wanted to work! And it took something like 13:40 or 12:40 to finish. Let's hope my thumb doesn't hurt tomorrow now (usually a side effect of doing wall balls xD)

Replies

• Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I was not planning on putting again until Tuesday but Friday had been a super light day that counted as my weekly rest day and I had 90 minutes free near gym so I went.

Squats are frustrating because I'm only allowed to use the bar but need to correct the form. I feel myself losing it as I go deep so will be frustrated for a while longer.
    Ohp I'm also only at 20kg which is the bar but I'm hoping to move up with those next time.
    Deadlift went well at 60kg and in a couple more sessions I will be deadlifting my bodyweight!
    Assisted pull-ups were easy enough that I can drop the assist by 5kgs next time. I had 30kg assist today.
  • theknitpicker
    theknitpicker Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sunday's workout was a bit half-hearted, as I was just completely exhausted, but I made good progress, so swings and roundabouts, I guess...

Squats 5x5 @ 40kg - Back on the big girl plates, yes
    Bench 5x5 @ 25kg - these actually felt really good, super pleased!
    Row 5x5 @ 35kg - looked messy. Might stick at 35kg next time just to get the form spot on
    Dips 10/9/6 @ BW- So pleased with the progress on these. Still not pretty, but getting the numbers up, so woo!
    Push ups 3x10 @ BW
    Planks 3 x 40secs

@krokador ... I might be being a noob, but what are "AMRAP" and "EMOTM" :) They seem like good ones to know!
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Amrap is As many reps as possible
    Emotm is Every minute on the minute (so you start at the beginning of the minute and do the reps, then rest until the next minute starts when you begin again.)
  • Dory_42
    Options
    I only recently learnt them as well ;)
  • theknitpicker
    Options
    Thanks @Dory_42! Seems so obvious once you know it ;) EMOTM sounds like the grown-up version of the horrible bleep test in gym class though *shudder*

Today's workout felt REALLY really good. Definitely making progress!

Squats 5x5 @ 42.5kg
    OHP 5x5 @ 22.5kg - much less messy than last time, but still not pretty. Debating sticking at this weight one more session to really smash out the form, and then progress, or see if I can push for the progress. We'll see how it feels on Saturday!
    Deads 3x5 @ 50kg - next session will be more than my BW, which will feel ace
    Chinups 10/9/7 @ -23kg - no progress here, but felt more solid
    Pullups 3x10 @ -23kg - SMASHED IT. Was so pleased on this progress, they just felt really solid (for once), and even though my head wasn't in the workout anymore at that stage, I was stoked to see that my body really was.
  • krokador
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Thanks @Dory_42! Seems so obvious once you know it ;) EMOTM sounds like the grown-up version of the horrible bleep test in gym class though *shudder*

Today's workout felt REALLY really good. Definitely making progress!

Squats 5x5 @ 42.5kg
    OHP 5x5 @ 22.5kg - much less messy than last time, but still not pretty. Debating sticking at this weight one more session to really smash out the form, and then progress, or see if I can push for the progress. We'll see how it feels on Saturday!
    Deads 3x5 @ 50kg - next session will be more than my BW, which will feel ace
    Chinups 10/9/7 @ -23kg - no progress here, but felt more solid
    Pullups 3x10 @ -23kg - SMASHED IT. Was so pleased on this progress, they just felt really solid (for once), and even though my head wasn't in the workout anymore at that stage, I was stoked to see that my body really was.

Haha, yep, beat me to it. Sometimes I forget not everyone has been around for months, I should explain the abbreviations once in every thread, lol!

To be fair, EMOM or EMOTMs are usually more about power/strength than endurance, so they're less barfy-feely than the beep test. Which I used to only be able to last for like, 3 mins back in high school. I wonder how long I could last now!

A small pointer on the OHP, that a lot of people seem to not know/think about that may help you, is to squeeze the shoulderblades down and back when you unrack the bar. It makes for a much more stable "shelf" to push off of, and then you squeeze your butt and keep the core braced to further stabilize the whole. Less wobble = less strength wasted! :)

Yesterday's session was rough. I think I ended up pushing my body a bit past what it could do with everything that's been going on. I conked out hard yesterday afternoon and last night.

20 mins to complete (this was one hell of a chipper)
    - 5 bear crawls (10ft forward, 10 ft back, x5. I counted 10 steps on this one because I had no measure of distance and I was sidestepping people all over the place)
    - 10 double kettlebell squat clean thrusters @ 2x30lbs
    - 4 bear crawls (dropped down to 8 steps / "count" cuz I woulda been crawling all day otherwise)
    - 12 2KB front rack walking lunges (had to divide into 3/3/3/2/1. It was heavy!)
    - 3 bear crawls
    - 15 2KB power cleans
    - 2 bear crawls
    - 18 eye level 2KB russian swings
    - 1 bear crawl
    - 42 2KB sumo deadlifts
    - 100 Hollow rocks

I actually was around the 24 deadlift mark when I hit the 20 minutes. Decided to finish that (21:20) and then do some hollow rocks, and I stopped at 25 mins with about 50.

Rested up a bit, then set a 10 min clock to do sets of 3 KB turkish get-ups per arm. First round was with a 30lbs bell, then I dropped down to a 25lbs Db because my shoulder couldn't support the weight anymore. Oops? I think I got 11 reps per side total.

Finished up my session with alternating EMOTM x8
    1- 2 lying rope climbs (you use a rope to "climb" yourself up to standing, good progression to rope climbs with leg assist)
    2- 10 knees bent V-Up sit-ups

And this morning I went for a 45ish minutes run, which turned into 6km in 48 minutes (my last km was uphill so it slowed me down a lot haha). Still going to shoot for a 10k before the end of the month. But, err... At this pace that'll take me 1h20m O_o
  • Dory_42
    Options
    This morning was interesting.

I am still only allowed to squat with 20 kg bar (bonus is I can now tell which is 20 and which is 15kg) and I can feel my form is improving focusing on the hip tilt. Did pushups in between sets.

Barbell row was 30kg and was fine, but I may stick at that weight for the next round as well as it was a bit challenging. Did sit ups in between sets.

Bench was 35 kg and went fine until I had finished. I was busy racking the bar after my last rep and it slipped and hit me in the face. No serious damage but I look like someone punched me in the mouth. My coach is going to laugh tonight! I do a contact sport yet I am normally injured doing stupid things which don't involve other people at all, like this.

Lesson learned though. In future, I will make sure one of the gym's workout buddies is near by to spot me if needed (although it really wasn't too heavy, it just slipped because I wasn't focused). Ideally I would train with a friend, but none of my friends who do this kind of training train at the same gym as me and I have a good deal so I don't want to move gyms.
  • theknitpicker
    Options
    Oh no @Dory_42! Hope everything heals up quickly! And @krokador, I think those tips will really help on the OHP...Will let you know on Saturday ;)

Today was good, my mind isn't there at the minute but thankfully my body is.
    Squats 5x5 @ 45kg
    Bench 5x5 @ 27.5kg
    Row 5x5 @ 37.5kg - wasn't going to progress, but did 1 rep to check, pretty sure progress IS slowing, but I was able to go up relatively stably
    Dips 10/7/7 @ BW- No jump in numbers, but I was able to dip further down, which is something
    Push ups 3x10 @ BW
    Planks 3 x 45secs
  • krokador
    Options
    Two more training sessions in!

Wednesday

every 5 min x3 rounds, as fast as possible (think sprint)
    - 5 deadlifts @ 205lbs
    - 20 burpees over bar

1: 2:30, 2: 2:45, 3: 2:50
    Ideally you'd want to keep all rounds to about the same speed, but 20 burpees gases me out. So bad! And then more deadlifts... I tried! I swear!

Then I did an alternating EMOTM x10 of
    1- Strict assisted pull-ups x10/10/8/8/10 (had to cut them up a bit)
    2- Hand release push-ups x10/10/10/10/10/12 (program said 20, but there was no way in hell I was going to manage that!)

shoudlers were so done after this, but I added a KB benchmark:
    10 min AMRAP of KB Swings @20kg (~45lbs)
    I believe I got 208 total.

Thursday
    Bit more of a relaxed session today. I took it a bit easy. I didn't sleep well/enough past 2 nights and its getting to me.

15 mins to complete 5 rounds of
    - 10 front squats at a moderate load (85x4, 95x1 round)
    - 10 2KB strict press (2x20 for 4, 2x25 on last round, had to break that one into 7-3. My left shoulder had a hard time keeping up!)

into an 8 min core grinder:
    - 50 hollow rocks
    - 40 ab-mat sit-ups
    - 30 KB balanced plank knee tucks / side (of which i managed 19 at the cap and stopped there)
    - 20 strict toes to bar/knees to bows
    - 10 extended inchworm crawls

No extra work today. I tried to double under a bit and it just wasn't happening. I need a rest day.

@theknitpicker I do hope the tips help you crush OHP! =D
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    I've been feeling decent lately so I'm getting back to the gym. Going lighter than I expected to have to already, but I guess that's how it goes. 18 weeks preggo!

Deadlifts 5/5/5 @ 115/135/135
    Kettlebell swings with 20 lb bell 15/15/15
    Seated row @ 70 10/10/10
    Elliptical 13 min
  • krokador
    Options
    Phew! Had a complete rest day yesterday (aside from walking, some stairs, and a 20 min romwod), and it was very needed. Back at it this morning with this tasty set-up

First part was my own add-on: 3 stop clean pull (basically a clean grip deadlift where you stop just below the knee, just above the knee in the normal hang position, up to the high hang position, then back down to hang to perform a straight arm pull. That's 1 rep. Working on technique and positioning endurance, basically!)
    x5 up to 85% of clean 1RM, x3 up to 105% (and I did x2 @ 110% cuz I could), turned into 75x5, 85x5, 95x5, 105x5, 115x3 (this was 85% but form was breaking down), 125x3, 135x3, 145x2

Then EMOTM x6 of a full clean, ascending load. I actually messed up 95 twice on the first minute - all this time spent bent over, I think my body forgot how to pull under and drop into a squat xD. I futzed 95 a bit on the next minute but went on to do another 95, 100x2, 105x1, 110x1 and 115x1 after that (I basically didn't count the first round as part of the emom, lol)

Then regular programming was:
    every 30s x 8 minutes: 1 turkish get-up @ 30lbs KB, switch arm every round

Then 3 rounds for max reps of
    - strict pull-ups (11/8/9)
    - strict barbell OHP @65 (11/9/8)
    - burpees AMRAP for 2 minutes (19/20/18)

for a grand total of 113 reps in about 15-16 mins

I then picked up my rope and tried to do some double unders. Notable sets were 11, 21 and 9. Ah well.

I'm hoping to go for a run this afternoon, but I need to get through some dishes first! XD Yay, adulting.

• amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    Upper body with dumbbells today.

10 min on elliptical for warm up
    OHP 5/5/5 @ 50/55/60
    Incline dumbbell bench press w/ 17.5 lb 10/10/10
    DB rows 10/10/10 w/ 17.5
    TRX rows 10/10/10
  • Dory_42
    Options
    Back on track after avoiding things for a week.

OHP - stayed at 20kgs as it was a bit tough last week. Much happier with it this week.
    Squat is still only 20kg but my trainer is happy that my form is improving.
    Deadlift went up to 65kgs - next week should be my bodyweight!!!

100 sit ups and 50 push ups in between sets (that's total, not that many between each set!)
  • hanlonsk
    hanlonsk Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Ok... for starters, I am still alive/ do still exist.

Next, where do I even start? August and thus far in September were insane at their best. Downright incomprehensible at times.

To quote an acquaintance “that boy friend of yours must be something special.” “Uhhhh yeah, but why ya say that?” “Well, new job, new town, new house, new car.... same boyfriend.”

Any time I was in the town with the gym, I was packing, or car shopping, or interview prepping, or sobbing uncontrollably due to being overwhelmed and boyfriend looked at me funny and it was the last straw on my sanity... or yeah...

I think I have lifted all of 3 times since you all heard from me last. (Unless packing/moving/unpacking/rearranging counts.) Once was a back to basics, just the bar, true 5x5, sometime before Labor Day? Then twice have been stupid basic, one exercise, make myself do something things this week.

So, Sunday, I finally got my cage put back together.
    7y16ly4m4k94.jpeg

It doesn’t look like much, but I think it’s the third best gym in town, behind the high school and the physical therapy clinic. Which then makes it the best gym in town that is open after 4pm. :)

Sunday: Squats, 5x5 @ 50lbs

Tonight: Deadlifts, 5 x 10. Well I say deadlifts, more like deadlifts meets rack pulls - ummm let’s just say I asked for bumper plates for my bday next month. I put my safeties on the lowest hole. I don’t have plates bigger than 35 lbs even if I was comfortable jumping back that high, and I don’t have enough plates to stack, and have plates left to lift. So, yeah. Back to the actual lifting of things 5 x 10 with 10 @ 70, 10 @ 80, 10@ 90, 10 @ 95, and 10 @100.

Sunday I am part of a marathon relay - so 10K with langiape - I might die... due to all the stuff above, and stupid hot weather... literally haven’t ran in over a month, and only ran sporadically before that. So. If I live thru Sunday, hopefully y’all will hear from me more regularly going forward.

I’m glad to see many of you still going strong. Looks like @canadianlbs fell off the earth with me.... soooo hope her world comes back together again soon.
  • krokador
    Options
    Apologies for the lack of checking in. I've been busy and then down with a pretty mean cold after I went for a 7.5k run on saturday and let allergies get the best of me... I went on Sunday and probably pushed too hard considering my condition, thinking the allergies hadn't morphed into anything bad... Until I was done and flat out on my back for the rest of the day -_-'

So, now that I feel a little better (still stuffy, so walking around the hospital is like a cardio workout atm xD), I went back this morning

Squats 125x5, 135x5, 145x3, 155x3
    with barbell leg-assisted pull-up negatives x3 between each set

Bench Press 95x5, 100x5, 105x3, 110x3
    With DB RDLs 30x12, 35x10, 40x10 twice.. or did I try 45? can't remember now lol

Pendlay Row 95x5, 100x5, 105x3, 110x3
    With DB strict OHP 15x10, 20x2x10, 25x8

Wasn't too bad, but I need to take tomorrow off, lol. Hopefully I can get back to regular programming on Saturday, since my next one is a bit more mobility than engine or strength.
  • amyinthetardis1231
    Options
    *waves to hanlonsk*

From yesterday:

Lat pulldowns 3x10 @ 70
    One arm cable rows 3x10 per arm @ 20 lb
    Seated cable rows 3x10 @ 70
    Kettlebell swings 3x15 @ 20 lb
    15 min elliptical
  • LaarainNYC
    LaarainNYC Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody. Back at SL after a long hiatus due to a broken elbow.
    9/24
    Squats 5x5@70
    OP 5x5@31
    DL 1x5 @ 90

30 minutes of fast walking
  • R2che
    R2che Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hellooooo.

Very new to this so still figuring it all out. Been doing stringlifts 5x5 for about 6 weeks ish. Had a 2 week holiday in the middle of that tho.

This morning I did
    Squats 5x5 @ 52.5kg. Now I’m not going into a massively deep squat, nasty knee injury 18 months ago has knocked my confidence so playing it safe for now. I’m nearly there, one day at a time tho.

OHP 5x5 @ 20kg, this is the one I struggle with the most so far, seems to take me ages to be able to progress, but I’m concentrating on my form so I’ll get there.

Deadlift, 5 @ 57.5kg seriously like the deadlift but I feel like my arms might fall out their sockets :smiley:

Then I did 2 minute plank
    Triceps pullover thingys into a crunch with a 10kg dumbbell
    Oblique with dumbbell 10kg 3x10

5 minute row to warm up and the same to cool down.

Then walked my dogs 3 miles in the glorious uk sunshine :smile:
  • krokador
    Options
    R2che wrote: »
    Hellooooo.

Deadlift, 5 @ 57.5kg seriously like the deadlift but I feel like my arms might fall out their sockets :smiley:

First of all, welcome to the group! It's always nice to see new faces!

But what you said here worries me a bit. Do make sure you keep your shoulder blades pulled back and down when deadlifting. There should not be any pull on the shoulders themselves if the upper back is engaged. If you're having trouble keeping the back engaged, drop the weight and do a few sets at a lighter weight with more reps to strengthen it up. A shoulder injury is a pain in EVERY aspect of life, AND lifting. You can't sit down and take tension off of it :(

As for I, sorry I haven't been very vocal in here lately. Had to put down another kitty (2nd in 6 months) which made me really sad, and I've been super busy, but I'm still training. Just not reporting back.

• R2che
    R2che Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @krokador Thank you for your reply, don’t worry, there’s no pull, I was just making a point of how flipping heavy 57kg is! I only weigh 54kg myself so these things are really starting to get heavy for me now. Enjoying it all very much tho.

I did a very light (in comparison) les mills body pump class this morning. No heavy stuff until tomorrow :)

So sorry to hear about your kitty, a heart breaking time for you <3

Xx