Sept 17 Weekly Challenge: Unsweetened

Options
2»

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I went to help my in-laws on the farm and was offered ice cream twice and both times it was easy to say no. (They offered before and after we where out working in the fields so it wasn't like they where pressuring me to have it, just being nice).

Woo hoo! That's a great non scale victory, @Heidijens123!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Thanks @themedalist .
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 thanks for your support. All those do help. Yesterday I was singing, decluttering, and reached out to a friend. It has been a struggle and now that I realize my mom’s bday is a trigger I will make a plan for next year so this does not happen again. When I am ok, gratefulness comes easy peasy but in this state I just go with the flow and concentrate on keeping my mind busy. I feel much better today.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    @nebslp so happy for you. Glad you had a great time. We tossed the cake so we are done.

My oldest bday is in October so she already told me she does not want cake, just one slice of cheesecake. We were talking about making memories instead of celebrating with food. She loved the idea. Brainstorming now!! Thanks for the support.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    This is a serious struggle for me and perfect timing. I just now am seeing this, a week late, and the ironic part is that today is day 5 of me giving up dairy and sugary foods. That means no ice cream, cottage cheese, cheese or cheese curds, cherry pie, banana bread or pumpkin pie custard from Culver's that my granddaughter brought me! I wasn't really tackling the sugar, but rather have decided to try cutting out dairy to see if I have a sensivity to the cow's milk. I know I was told years ago that I did have a high sensitivity to it but I live in Wisconsin...the Dairy state, so yeah....I paid it no attention because I love dairy products.

Anyway, instead of dairy or sweets, I've been eating sliced apples with cinnamon, pears, steel cut oats with small chunks of apple for sweetening. I've been more focused on the dairy than sugar, as I mentioned, but now I'll try to be more aware of the sugar as well.

I am only focusing on cutting out added sugars in like cookies, cakes, etc. I am not going to worry about sugar from fruit at this point. I think my body needs the fruit to get healthy right now at a cellular level.

My two biggest challenges will be my morning coffee (I currently use Sugar-Free French Vanilla powdered creamer and I don't know if I can give it up!) and my evening snack of ice cream or cottage cheese with blueberries. I take evening medications that make me nauseous and I'm struggling as I type this with what I can eat instead to coat my stomach. :(

If anyone has tips on a good evening snack that will coat a stomach for medications, I would LOVE to hear them!

Have a great evening everyone!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    I am pre diabetic so sugar is sugar for me no matter if it is extra or from a fruit. I can eat berries and low glycemic fruits but my downfall is grains, flour and pastries. I tried for a couple of days drinking my coffee black. I added cinnamon to the grounds and it tasted really good, but it is the visual effect the black color has on me, I feel like I am drinking a glass of dirt, same with tea, which looks like urine, ( sorry) I need to add the cream.

I do not have any ideas for an evening snack, have you tried making icecream from fruit or sorbet? Yogurt with some type of nuts and berries would be my go to.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    @PinkyPan1 I have a birthday tomorrow. And I just realized my coffee creamer has added sugar...nooooooooooo.

WHAT? How did I miss this? Happy Belated birthday!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    Well I completely failed at this challenge. Miserably so. My intentions were true but my sweet tooth took over.
  • themedalist
    edited September 2018
    Options

My two biggest challenges will be my morning coffee (I currently use Sugar-Free French Vanilla powdered creamer and I don't know if I can give it up!) and my evening snack of ice cream or cottage cheese with blueberries. I take evening medications that make me nauseous and I'm struggling as I type this with what I can eat instead to coat my stomach. :(

If anyone has tips on a good evening snack that will coat a stomach for medications, I would LOVE to hear them!

Have a great evening everyone!

Is the Sugar-Free French vanilla creamer really a problem for you, @PackerFanInGB? I can't imagine there are that many calories in it and you seem to really enjoy it. There may be other reasons to forgo it, but it just seems like a modest use of calories for a lot of enjoyment. I once heard a story of a woman who felt she needed to give up her morning coffee. The coffee wasn't really the problem, but with her coffee she felt she needed to have 2 full-size scones. So yeah, if your coffee needs to be consumed with 600 to 800 calories in scones, you might want to forgo the coffee.

Do you like yogurt? That would be an ideal stomach coater. I'm seeing a lot of yogurt producers offer lower sugar yogurt. Siggies and Icelandic are two, and recently I tried a variety of Chobani that has 12 grams of protein and 9 grams of sugar. Madagascar vanilla and cinnamon. Yum!
  • themedalist
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    Well I completely failed at this challenge. Miserably so. My intentions were true but my sweet tooth took over.

Sugar is a toughie. Sweet things generally taste great and they set off all kinds of chemical rewards in the brain. I've only been able to dial down my sugar over time. I was in the drug store today and I saw the big bag of Brachs orange pumpkin candies. That used to be my favorite but I had no inclination now. In part it's because it's too sweet but it would also make my teeth hurt. I had 3 crowns put in last year. Not going to compromise my new teeth!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I am pre diabetic so sugar is sugar for me no matter if it is extra or from a fruit. I can eat berries and low glycemic fruits but my downfall is grains, flour and pastries. I tried for a couple of days drinking my coffee black. I added cinnamon to the grounds and it tasted really good, but it is the visual effect the black color has on me, I feel like I am drinking a glass of dirt, same with tea, which looks like urine, ( sorry) I need to add the cream.

I do not have any ideas for an evening snack, have you tried making icecream from fruit or sorbet? Yogurt with some type of nuts and berries would be my go to.

HI, just a quick note. Have you tried favored coffee beans? I don't use creamers unless I'm at my friend's house for our Thur morning coffee klatch. I WON'T drink straight black coffee unless I have no choice. At home I always use flavored coffee grounds and love the variety of flavors that are available. Lots of nutty ones (literally nutty🌰) but my favorite flavor is French Vanilla. No calories or sugar. Just good smooth flavor. You might give that a try so you can have a guilt-free coffee delight! (I just realized this sounds like a commercial☕️)!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    @prgirl39mfp PS to my last post. Try closing your eyes so you can't see the color😂
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Is the Sugar-Free French vanilla creamer really a problem for you, @PackerFanInGB? I can't imagine there are that many calories in it and you seem to really enjoy it. There may be other reasons to forgo it, but it just seems like a modest use of calories for a lot of enjoyment. I once heard a story of a woman who felt she needed to give up her morning coffee. The coffee wasn't really the problem, but with her coffee she felt she needed to have 2 full-size scones. So yeah, if your coffee needs to be consumed with 600 to 800 calories in scones, you might want to forgo the coffee.

Do you like yogurt? That would be an ideal stomach coater. I'm seeing a lot of yogurt producers offer lower sugar yogurt. Siggies and Icelandic are two, and recently I tried a variety of Chobani that has 12 grams of protein and 9 grams of sugar. Madagascar vanilla and cinnamon. Yum!

You make a great point with the creamer. I think for now I will just continue to use the SF Fr Vanilla non-dairy creamer. It's powdered and I usually only add 1/2 tbsp to a good-sized cup of coffee. BUT, sometimes I drink 3 or 4 cups between 6:30-10:30 a.m. so it adds up to about 2 Tbsp. Not really too bad though calorie-wise. Maybe I'll wait to tackle that one since it's like JOY in a CUP! :wink:

I actually do like yogurt, but today is Day 6 of no cow dairy for me, so that's why no cottage cheese, etc. I have noticed in the past 6 days that my sinuses are actually opening up a bit, my joints hurt less and my heartburn is better and I dropped a couple of pounds for the first time in awhile also. I was told a few years ago that I have a pretty big sensitivity to cow's milk, but since I live in Wisconsin and love cheese and all that is dairy, I chose to ignore the doctor's advice. Six days ago, I decided that the doctor might have actually known more than me... (Say it isn't so!!! LOL!) :mrgreen:

Last night I made a bowl of steel cut oats and cut up chunks of pear to sweeten it. It was pretty darn good, so that might be my go-to unless I find out it's got too many carbs to eat before bedtime.
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @prgirl39mfp PS to my last post. Try closing your eyes so you can't see the color😂

Hahahaha not!