Sept 24 Weekly Challenge: Balancing Act

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
edited September 2018 in Social Groups
Theme: Exercise and Movement
Challenge: Balancing Act

This week, let's focus on improving our balance. Better balance improves coordination, joint stability, agility, reaction time, and prevents falls and fractures. Balance is a core asset to our health and fitness and one that is frequently overlooked. As one balance proponent observed, "What is strength or endurance worth without the balance and stability to use them in the real world?"

Until a few years ago I never really thought about the importance of doing balance exercises. And then one evening, out walking in my backyard, I tripped over a tree stump and fell. In that 30 second fall, I permanently damaged my right hip and lost the ability to walk easily and without pain. I was lucky enough to get a new artificial hip a few months later, but the experience changed my perceptions about balance, coordination, and accident avoidance. I never would have believed that I could do so much damage from such a simple fall, but millions of people are similarly injured (some fatally) from slips and falls in their homes and outdoors.

We CAN improve our balance and coordination. Let's set aside a few minutes each day this week to do some balance exercises. You never know when, in just the right moment, it will pay off for you in a very big way.

This Week's Challenge: Choose from among the resources below the beginner, advanced, or yoga-based balance exercises that are best for you. Although no special equipment is required to do balance exercises, I'm putting in a plug for the wobble board, which I've used quite a lot. (I am slightly obsessed with my wobble board).

Make it a great week!

...............................................................................................

Suggested Resources:

Beginner exercises for balance:
https://www.fitnessblender.com/videos/beginner-exercises-for-balance-15-minute-beginner-balance-workout

Advanced balance exercises:
https://www.verywell.com/advanced-balance-exercises-2696235

Yoga poses for better balance:
https://www.yogajournal.com/practice/fall-yoga-15-poses-proven-build-better-balance

Yoga for balance and brain benefits:
http://annwestyoga.com/yoga-for-balance-brain-benefits/

..................................................................................................

dft9sdkyyfsh.jpg

Our monthly challenge, This September I will..., continues! Please tell us how you are progressing and how it's going for you!

Replies

• themedalist
    edited September 2018
    Options
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    I’m currently working on balance exercises assigned by the physical therapist so I will continue with those twice a day. I’d like to try the beginner 15 minute set when I get released from restrictions.

Lack of Balance has caused many injuries to my knees and hip so I know I need much work in this area!
  • prgirl39mfp
    prgirl39mfp Posts: 3,154 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thanks! Will look into these links and get started.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,972 Member
    Options
    Balance is so important as we age to stay functionaI and avoid falls. I know that my balance has improved since I started getting fit, but I'm still not great with my balance.

This week I'll try incorporating the balance yoga flows into my yoga workouts, although some of the moves are pretty tough (again because my balance is not great). Balance is actually one of the big challenges in doing Yoga for me.
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I went to yoga yesterday and really pushed myself on the balancing poses. This morning we had to do some weights bending forward on one leg and I went as far as I could.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I'm very happy to hear that this week's challenge resonates with you. None of us ever expect to fall, but we can do a lot of damage.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I’ve been using my wobble board this week and I like it. It’s funny how for a few minutes after I get off of it I still have the sensation that I’m on it.

I need to use my wobble board more often!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    I held tree pose on my left leg yesterday for 2 minutes. I was wobbly but did it. My ankle on my right leg has not been the same since I got it caught in a hole on the golf course earlier this summer. I did not try tree pose on the right.

I have upped my leg circles on both sides ( 25 per leg) and it has helped with my piriformis muscle pain. I had no idea that these would help.
  • 77tes
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I held tree pose on my left leg yesterday for 2 minutes. I was wobbly but did it. My ankle on my right leg has not been the same since I got it caught in a hole on the golf course earlier this summer. I did not try tree pose on the right.

I have upped my leg circles on both sides ( 25 per leg) and it has helped with my piriformis muscle pain. I had no idea that these would help.

2 minutes in Tree pose! WOW! I'm lucky to stay in for 30 seconds!
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    I worked on balance during therapy yesterday and was in so much pain I had to wear heating pads on my legs all night! UGH. Too much too quickly I think.
  • 77tes
    Options
    I worked on balance during therapy yesterday and was in so much pain I had to wear heating pads on my legs all night! UGH. Too much too quickly I think.

So sorry, @PackerFanInGB ! Hope today you get some pain relief.
  • themedalist
    Options

Ouch! Not good. I hope your legs are feeling better!
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Take it easy please @PackerFanInGB
  • prgirl39mfp
    Options
    Hooray @PinkyPan1
  • themedalist
    Options
    So I’ve done my nightly yoga practice every evening this month and tonight will make it an even 30. Just a few minutes of yoga stretches has been a great prelude to bed. I am definitely sleeping better. This will be something I take forward and make a nightly practice. It’s been very beneficial.
  • PackerFanInGB
    Options
    Nice job everyone! So many of you were able to create or find an area to focus on and did great!

I didn’t do so well with meditating each day, but I plan to continue looking for ways to incorporate it into my daily routine. Even if sometimes it’s “walking meditation”...(been doing some research! 😉).