Hi Ladies, 2nd round with breast cancer

Options
Hi everyone, I'm on round 2 with breast cancer, MBC in my bones. Is anyone else out there?

Replies

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    @Ohiogirlatheart Hello! I am not on round 2 of breast cancer, but I went through treatment for Stage III breast cancer in 2011 & 2012. Bilateral mastectomies, chemotherapy and radiation therapy. 23 lymph nodes removed.

So, although I do not personally have experience with MBC (knock on wood), I do know the constant worry it will return. I also have many friends through support groups who are fighting their 2nd time.

Where in your bones did it return? Are you having to go through chemotherapy for it? It must be devastating to hear that news. I'm so sorry you are in the ring with it again. There is nothing pink about breast cancer.

(((HUGS))) xoxo
  • Ohiogirlatheart
    Ohiogirlatheart Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi PackerFanInGB! Thank you for responding, I really appreciate it. I had breast cancer over 20 years ago, "successfully" treated with a bilateral mastectomy. In July 2017 I was hospitalized for an abdominal issue and they did a CT. Then a bone scan, then the oncologist came into my room.
    Needless to say the abdominal issue was the least of my problems. Thankfully it was completely unrelated to cancer. After confirming, through a bone biopsy, that what I have is actually the same breast cancer I had 20 years go, I have been taking hormone therapy chemo (I guess it's considered chemo): Verzenio, letrozole and once a month injection for bone density (since the MBC is in my bones). About every 4-5 months I have a repeat bone scan and a CT (to see if there are changes/progression in my bones and if it has spread). So far the medications have stopped the progression, which is the best I can hope for. As long as these medications are working the cancer is at bay. If or when this stops working the next step will be an immunotherapy clinical trial. Luckily I live near a major metropolitan area where these kinds of trials are on going.
    Yes, I have to say I was shocked beyond shocked. I sat on the pity pot for about 5 months and gained a lot of weight. After Christmas last year I decided to try to control the things I can control: eating, exercise and my attitude/outlook. So far I have lost 49 pounds and walk about 1 hour every day and go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week. It's weird but I feel really pretty good. I also decided that I'm really focusing on positive things, my family, my husband, children and new grandkids. To go to the dark side is just not an option, at least at this point. I hope all continues to go well with you, let me know how your fitness journey is going!