How much for a Cuda project?

Options
Citrislazer
Citrislazer Posts: 312 Member
So last night I was backing my Camaro into the garage for the night and all of a sudden an awesome 4th gen impala slams on its brakes and pulls into my driveway. After a moment of bewilderment while still sitting in my Camaro, I get out and approach the guy sitting in my driveway. Before I could even say, "Hi," he asked me if I wanted to sell my Camaro, cash. The first words out of my mouth were a quick, "Hell no!" His look of shock mixed with disappointment was kind of funny. Turns out his own 3rd gen Camaro was t-boned and totaled out by the insurance company, but he bought it back from them as it had an 850+hp engine that was still usable. He's been trying to find another Camaro to put the engine in, which are in short supply in this region.

Anyway, my boyfriend and I got to chatting with this younger guy, Grady, about cars and other motorsports. We ended up showing him the 68' cuda fastback project sitting in the backyard and he wants to know how much we would be willing to sell it for. We're somewhat contemplating it as we haven't had time to work on it and the engine is seized to the point it needs to be replaced or bored out. The cash we would gain from the sale would go into either our Corvette fund or towards a Cuda e-body project. The quarter panels should be replaced (but could be easily covered up for a time), the floor needs to be redone, the front seats need to be reupholstered, the dash is cracked on top, needs new wheels, the body needs to be repainted, and all the other usual mechanical repairs are needed. Everything else is there, all original, but needs some cleaning and shining up. All the chrome and glass are in great condition too. How much would be a fair price for it?

Replies

• tigerblood78
    tigerblood78 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    No idea. But aren't mopars worth mega bucks? I would get on a mopar forum and ask those guys.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    And if that guy is still wanting a 3rd Gen, he should come down to Florida and look.
    You can't give them away here.
    I passed up on a low mileage RS (1990).
    The guy was asking $2,000 for it.
    They are all over the place down here.
  • Citrislazer
    Options
    @Tigerblood78
    Some mopars are worth a ton, but so are other cars. Unfortunately, this cuda isn't one of them, but buying restoration parts for it still costs twice as much. Restored to full showroom condition, it would only be worth about $33,000. I posted questions on other car forums too. So far the price range seems to be between 4k-7k. 9K-10k if it was running.

@digitalbill
    Funny you mentioned that. We talked about how in the south it's easy to find a Camaro or fast cars in general for cheap. He's been trying to avoid traveling long distance to buy a car. I don't blame him. I've been burned a couple of times attempting to do that. :-/ It's ridiculous how much people want for their fast cars up here. Saw a 2008 Evo MR for sale 2 weeks ago that clearly has been run hard. The guy still wants 35k for it when the engine life is half gone. It books at just under 26k. He'll likely get his asking price too. Wish I had enough cash and knowledge to start up my own dealership of just sport cars. Buy from the south and sell in the north. I'd still make a killing under cutting everyone else's pricing.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    35K for an ran down Evo?! What is in the water up there!
  • Citrislazer
    Options
    I'm guessing, rice? But, it could just be the effects of supply and demand. :-)